Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,711 times

Advertisements

sounds crazy,but I'm serious.
I know someone that threw a blanket over their hood during real cold weather.
...well.. real cold is relative depending on where you live.
in NJ, it is forecast to be below zero tonite and tomorrow, which is unusually cold.

I think the thing that can happen is a frozen block? whatever that is.
don't know if that is why this person was using a blanket.

I'm not planning to do it, sounds too weird.
I don't have option of a garage, so I'll take my chance.
but I am curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 12:16 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
This at most would reduce the rate at which the car gets cold, but it will still come to equilibrium at the ambient temperature unless you use a heater of some sort.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:25 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
In the dark days before block heaters, my step-father would put a blanket over the hood, but would also hang a
100 watt light bulb under the hood.

The blanket by itself does nothing.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:50 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Exactly. Nothing, now covering up wimdows with one will save on scrapping.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:35 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
I think the thing that can happen is a frozen block? whatever that is.
don't know if that is why this person was using a blanket.
A "frozen block" would only take place if somebody is foolish enough to be operating his/her vehicle w/o antifreeze/coolant of the proper concentration in the cooing system. For those who are so foolish as to not use fresh antifreeze/coolant in the proper concentration, even ten blankets on the hood would not prevent "freeze-up".

That person is using a blanket because he/she has absolutely no clue regarding the operation of his/her vehicle and how to maintain it properly.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:46 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retriever View Post
a "frozen block" would only take place if somebody is foolish enough to be operating his/her vehicle w/o antifreeze/coolant of the proper concentration in the cooing system. For those who are so foolish as to not use fresh antifreeze/coolant in the proper concentration, even ten blankets on the hood would not prevent "freeze-up".

That person is using a blanket because he/she has absolutely no clue regarding the operation of his/her vehicle and how to maintain it properly.

������

Old 02-15-2015, 03:57 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,711 times
I did have my anti-freeze checked, I'm good to 35 below, which we probably will not reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
A "frozen block" would only take place if somebody is foolish enough to be operating his/her vehicle w/o antifreeze/coolant of the proper concentration in the cooing system. For those who are so foolish as to not use fresh antifreeze/coolant in the proper concentration, even ten blankets on the hood would not prevent "freeze-up".

Old 02-15-2015, 04:41 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
No. Even people that live in Yellowknife don't do this at -50. You certainly aren't going to have problems in New Jersey. lol

Old 02-15-2015, 05:43 AM

3,961 posts, read 2,574,285 times
I traveled for a living and I was in ND. The motel manger told me to be sure to plug in. I thought it was his way of telling me to park the car. Welllll, the next day my battery was dead! I was being told to plug in the electric plug to allow the battery to stay charged up overnight. Opps! Had to get someone to jump it! Top it all off, I had no money, I was waiting for my paycheck to come by company mail. Somehow I got ahold of a minister at a church and they helped!

If they tell you to plug in, do it!!

Old 02-15-2015, 06:34 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
I did have my anti-freeze checked, I'm good to 35 below, which we probably will not reach.

Good for you!
Forget about ridiculous approaches, such as putting a blanket on the hood of the car.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive