Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:04 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
These cars have the makings of very expensive money pits as i'm sure people who buy such vehicles new tend to use the power they provide, 10 years worth of burnouts and pedal to the metal driving dont instill confidence in the reliability factor of these cars.
The Mercedes would be a giant money pit for entirely different reasons. The Mustang is the only one I would expect that some kid drove it like he stole it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:36 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Mustang is the only one I would expect that some kid drove it like he stole it.
I am going to sell my 12 5.0 GT in a year and a half right now it has 16,000 miles, it has never been on the drag strip and never will, never done a burnout, never raced anybody on the street. It has one session on the track in NY and it hit 140 mph a few times.
when I sell it will have around 25,000 miles.
I change the oil myself every 4,000 miles with Motorcraft filter and Oil.
Original wheels and tires with Brembos

Send me a PM in a year and a half and will let you be the lucky guy to purchase my well cared for 412 HP bone stock Mustang.

BTW not a kid.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:44 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I notice from reading a few dedicated forums posts that the older muscle car guys prefer flywheel horsepower numbers but the newer generation prefer wheel horsepower numbers. It is like the older guys are still stuck back in time.
Because BHP is for stock motors with no modifications. Most people don't pull their motor out to test it's power output.

A friend of mine traded in for a 5.0 mustang. Bone stock it dynoed 368WHP on a mustang dynometer. I don't recall the torque, but it's probably similar being N/A. 412HP vs 368WHP. Pretty big difference in numbers. Granted, the dyno, and a host of other factors can play on how the results read.

Going from there he can compare the gains as he modifies. Again, he's not going to pull the motor to test power output at the crank, it'll be on a dyno, so it makes more sense to use WHP and WTQ.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:06 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I am going to sell my 12 5.0 GT in a year and a half right now it has 16,000 miles, it has never been on the drag strip and never will, never done a burnout, never raced anybody on the street. It has one session on the track in NY and it hit 140 mph a few times.

Send me a PM in a year and a half and will let you be the lucky guy to purchase my well cared for 412 HP bone stock Mustang.

BTW not a kid.
That's great, and that's the kind of Mustang I'd love to buy, but if you traded your car in and then dealer that was turning it around tried to tell me about your story, I would roll my eyes and say "yeah, sure." And assume that it was probably the car that was doing donuts on our street corner every other weekend.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:17 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Because BHP is for stock motors with no modifications. Most people don't pull their motor out to test it's power output.

A friend of mine traded in for a 5.0 mustang. Bone stock it dynoed 368WHP on a mustang dynometer. I don't recall the torque, but it's probably similar being N/A. 412HP vs 368WHP. Pretty big difference in numbers. Granted, the dyno, and a host of other factors can play on how the results read.

Going from there he can compare the gains as he modifies. Again, he's not going to pull the motor to test power output at the crank, it'll be on a dyno, so it makes more sense to use WHP and WTQ.
I meant the old guys are living in the past with their BHP. High Performance Pontiac did a dyno run wih some classic to new GTOs and the classics did not do to well- 389, 400 Ram Air III, 455H.O. compared to the LS1 powered version.

I helped an acquaintaince rebuild a Pontiac 400 last year and when I visited the Pontiac forums for tech info. many of the builders were still in the '80s in terms of performance. Compared to them the new gen LSx, Modular and EFI 5.0 Fords owners are way,way ahead in terms of applying tech to modify their engines. I refer to using intake/head air flow, valve events,exhaust system selection etc. Well I visited a few Olds forums lately and at least regarding SBO builds they are savvy but not Pontiac street/strip folk.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-20-2015 at 04:54 AM..

Old 02-20-2015, 06:22 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I remember back in the 80,s when Audi had that unintended acceleration problem. After that Audi's sales went downhill fast for a while. You could pick up a 5000 Quattro for next to nothing.

The brake pedal and the gas pedal were too close to each other!

Old 02-20-2015, 07:28 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I want a fun car - hp is only one part to that equation.

For pure giggle factor I'd rather a 1,200lb Lotus 7 with 150HP or so. HP only makes you go, lightness makes you turn and stop too

Old 02-20-2015, 07:49 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

BTW not a kid.
That would be like having a really hot GF that you don't sleep with. No thanks.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:09 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
The brake pedal and the gas pedal were too close to each other!

Exactly, Some American's didn't grasp that & so Audi suffered for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive