Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,915 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking for some pointers - and here are some background:

My wife has driving license but she never drives - being living in the outer borough of NYC, one can get by without driving. But due to work and our first baby, we are looking to buy our second car to be used on daily commute - probably 10-20 miles city driving a day. She definitely need to re-learn how to drive - she is also an immigrant from a country where they drive on the "wrong side".

Initially, I have my eye on an brand new Subaru Impreza or an Mazda 3 hatchback's. An brand new car and new driver, umm.... it might not be a good idea since we will be parking on streets. Being in NYC - chances are - her car might get bumped or hit by others etc.

That's why i am thinking about a used car for her. Yet, I dont want to get just any old clunker like many of us had done in college days. To me, here are my criteria:

1) most important - safety
2) car size - hatchback's - where we can easily put baby stroller in back. I guess sedans are ok too.
3) Won't consider SUV or crossover. Already got one. She didn't like them - too big; hard to park.
4) comfy ride - yes, we aren't getting any younger. we will probably drive once a year to Florida. (1000 miles trip)
5) mpg, repair cost, insurance cost will have to be considered as well. Something reliable - I am not much of DIY person.
6) budget wise, I don't have a set figure -but probably will spend 10-15k. probably more interested in value for money.

let me know if you can give me some pointers.

Just a thought - how would, say, an 3 year old off lease Camry compared to an 8-10 year old Lexus in terms of safety, repair costs? Seems lots of improvement over the years.

thanks in advance,

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 01:23 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,868,948 times
CRV? Escape? Don't know if you consider out because it is an SUV but it is a compact SUV, not a large one. Quite manuverable. Maybe a honda fit?

Old 02-16-2015, 01:29 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,854,050 times
The Lexus you would be looking at would be the ES series which is essentially a glorified Camry with V6 engine, leather seats and probably automatic climate control and some other gizmo's. I would stick to the newer Camry and the 4 cylinder has enough get up and go for almost every driving style.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:54 PM

805 posts, read 1,871,195 times
Test drive the Camry, Accord and maybe a Ford Fusion.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:04 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Personally, I'd get something like a Chevy Tahoe. It's mechanically simple and can take a lot of abuse. Without knowing how the previous owner treated the vehicle, it's better to be safe than sorry. Sure, it may use a little more fuel than a Camry or Mazda sedan, but it will have far lower repair costs.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:39 AM

27 posts, read 26,807 times
Go for a Honda Civic, 2012 Sedan, you'll get an immaculate one in $10 - $11K

Old 02-18-2015, 07:52 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Personally, I'd get something like a Chevy Tahoe. It's mechanically simple and can take a lot of abuse. Without knowing how the previous owner treated the vehicle, it's better to be safe than sorry. Sure, it may use a little more fuel than a Camry or Mazda sedan, but it will have far lower repair costs.
A Tahoe, Suburban or ford Expedition with Dodge ditching the Grand caravan mioght be able to find a fully loaded DGC for a great blow out pricing right or look at the Dodge Journey

Old 02-18-2015, 08:13 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentai3838 View Post
Hi all,

Just a thought - how would, say, an 3 year old off lease Camry compared to an 8-10 year old Lexus in terms of safety, repair costs? Seems lots of improvement over the years.

Ken

A former lease car?

Not me. Never.

Here is my story.

A neighbor of mine leased a Toyota - 3 year lease.
He didn't "own" the car was his statement.
Therefore, he never did any maintenance. When time came - at end of 3 years, his wife checked the oil.
It was black and near bottom of dipstick. She went and had oil changed just before this leased Toyota was turned in.

Does everyone treat a lease like this? No, of course not. But how are you going to know?

Former rentals.
Do you really want a used car that potentially 365 people have rented per year (obviously, not that many)?
The rental companies do the scheduled maintenance - but the very minimum.

Do people purchase former lease and former rentals - and have a fine car? Yes, but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I'd go with a camry over a lexus and a honda over accura. The reason is the better brand name might carry a premium on parts and labor plus they might carry a higher insurance premium due to thefts.

I wouldn't worry too much about an off lease or former rental car. yes there are horror stories out there but when I sold cars we would often get this type of car and they were just as good as any other. Of course I don't have any experience with them long term but if you are concerned you could purchase an extended warranty, just read the fine print about what is and what is not covered.
Good luck

Old 02-18-2015, 08:43 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Of course I don't have any experience with them long term

Thank you.

That is exactly my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive