Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 01:27 PM

273 posts, read 240,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
As a car guy with project cars, they are required for me, and I have them in the garage. Well, the table saw is for woodworking projects, like when I built our deck, but still... And when you use it, you kind of have to have the cars out of the garage.
Yes, and we laugh all the way to the bank every time someone who parks in their "garage" has to take their car in for every little thing and pay to get stuff done. Brake jobs, oil changes and shocks/struts are the biggest rip of all.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 01:36 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I have a 2 car garage and 5 cars. So the two drivers and Suburban get left out while the project cars are inside.

Many people use the garage for storage of stuff, like snowblowers, lawn mowers, etc that don't fit in the house and don't leave much room for cars in the garage.
Exactly. Almost everyone I know doesn't park their cars in the garage because there isn't room. All the overflow of suburban existence is located in the garage, so is there no room for the garage to perform its original function; storing one's vehicle.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:37 PM

797 posts, read 3,580,982 times
Do you know how much space 2 kids worth of bikes/trikes/sporting stuff/etc takes up? Easily fills up 1 garage spot along with mowers and other outdoor equipment. We have a 2 car garage, park 1 car in, 1 car out. No other way and we don't have a bunch a junk.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:41 PM

273 posts, read 240,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. Almost everyone I know doesn't park their cars in the garage because there isn't room. All the overflow of suburban existence is located in the garage, so is there no room for the garage to perform its original function; storing one's vehicle.
It's not just suburban existence.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-001

Find "a truck" in the garage.......it's not a "truck"......

Yours truly>>>>>

Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,575 times
when we bought our new house 12 years ago my number 1 requirement was a garage. I've parked my car in it every day since. it's a 2 car garage other side is filled with a boat and all my husband's "gear' but my side always stays clear. I love not having to clear my car from pollen or the few times we have snow and ice like today.I drive right in when it's pouring rain can unload groceries without getting wet and yes the paint job is holding up much better without the tree sap and hot sun.
When my husband runs out of space for his tools etc. he can purchase an outside storage building but I'm not giving up my parking spot.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:10 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
Bicycles for multiple children, sports gear, scooters, pogo sticks, and lots of things that get stolen because they don't have doors that lock. As long as my vehicles have doors that lock and I have a house full of kids, cars will be in the driveway and "stuff" will occupy the garage.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:15 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,467 times
We could fit our car in the garage with minimal effort (and we do so when high winds or hail is in the forecast). But like others have said, it is a hassle getting in and out of the garage (garage is small and there's not THAT much clearance through the door, or when exiting the car inside the garage) and we don't want to shovel the entire length of the driveway.

But actually, thinking about it here and now, for me the most important reason is that I prefer the security of people knowing that someone is home. We work from home so the car is in the driveway a LOT and I think if anyone's feeling like burglarizing a house, they're less likely to do it if they are pretty sure that someone is home. I do realize that this cuts both ways: The absence of our car is likely to broadcast OUR absence from the house. But oh well. I guess that's just the way it goes.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:45 PM

185 posts, read 184,916 times
Too much stuff, probably?

Oh no no. I park cars in the garage, as intended. :-)

Old 02-17-2015, 05:09 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
OP, you never stated whether your neighbor's garage is empty enough to park their cars in it. Surely you've seen inside?

I don't have a garage anymore but when I did, I only parked it in during inclement weather periods. I surely miss it these days in the northeast.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:39 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Most of the junk filling garages has no reason for being there other than pure laziness on the owners part. If they needed something in that mess they could never find it anyway. If you can't reach it, you don't need it.
I have an over sized four car garage and two vehicles, but even with four cars, there is plenty of extra room, but NO junk..!.. When my daughter visits there is plenty of room for her vehicle, too.
When I moved in I had custom cabinets built and I don't allow anything other than vehicles in the garage. What the neighbors do with their garage is their business, but it sure looks bad when their doors are open. Seeing the junk piles high in their garage give me an indication of what the inside of the house looks like. If you have no pride in your garage, perhaps it carries through into the house, at least it gives that impression.
Snow isn't an issue here in the desert. I sometimes leave both double doors open just so the neighbors driving by can see what a garage is supposed to look like. I'm sure seeing mine has never influenced them to go clean the junk out of theirs..
Wow..judge much ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive