Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:48 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeDrone2014 View Post
I just purchased a 2015 Mazda 3 last Oct. Just got a call from the dealership that I need to go in for an oil change. Their recommended interval is every 4 months/5000 miles.

I scheduled a visit to get my oil changed in 2 weeks but I'm wondering if I actually need to do it since I drive my car infrequently. Its only on the weekends and a few miles usually. I haven't checked my car manual yet to see what the oil change schedule is..but I plan to when I get home from work. The dealership said that the first oil change is complimentary so i figured what the heck. But in the future, I'm thinking I can probably go longer between oil changes since I don't see myself driving that much.

Right now, my vehicle has about 700 miles on it and is running fine. No problems whatsoever.

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance.
Somewhere in the manual, or at least a booklet that's included with the manual, there is a maintenance schedule. The maintenance schedule for most automobiles have a time/mile interval. For example, on my wife's Rav4 V6, oil and filter change should take place every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever of the two comes first. If you don't drive your car very much and it does not reach the number of miles within the number of months listed in the manual, then you can replace the oil and filter following the time limit or number of months indicated.

Here you go:
http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayM...earHome.action

Old 02-20-2015, 12:32 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
The FIRST oil change should be around 5,000 miles or 6 months. After that go 7,500 miles
I think the first oil change should be at about 1500 miles, to dispose of all the stray millings and debris left from the manufacturing process. After that, oil changes should depend on driving habits. 7500 miles is fine when the average trip is 25 miles or so. If the average trip is 25 blocks, the oil should be changed every 3000 miles.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:39 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Sorry, but based on a lifetime of maintenance work on everything from industrial bicycles to locomotives to aircraft to lawn mowers, I don't believe it.
Oil in a lightly used engine does not come apart and form sludge. In fact, oil does not "break down".
Sludge is formed by blowby getting in the oil. Then, if the engine does not reach normal operating temperature so the impurities boil out of the oil, the impurities mixed with the oil forms sludge.
So, again, when the molecules of oil break apart, what do they become? It isn't oil anymore, and it isn't sludge, so what is this new product in the crankcase?
You are mistaken. Multi-visc oil contains long chain polymers that thicken as they get warmer, which compensates for the oil getting thinner as it warms. Those polymers do break down, and will form sludge if they are not removed regularly by oil changes. I believe Mobil 1 10w-30 is actually manufactured without polymers thanks to the superior properties of the synthetic oil, but the 5w-30 still contains them.

Pushing the oil change interval is a really, really stupid attempt to economize. When in doubt, change the oil.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:09 PM

113 posts, read 331,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
I don't know about Mazda, but my Honda manual says to follow the oil life computer and change the oil when it's down to 15%. If the car's driven infrequently and you don't get down to 15%, it says to change the oil once a year.

Does your Mazda require synthetic oil?
Yes, my Mazda manual recommends synthetic oil. I got a call the other day that I missed my scheduled oil change at the dealership last weekend. So now I'm trying to schedule a visit as soon as possible.

I don't have an oil life computer I believe. I'll check the LCD screen options the next time I'm in it though.

Thank you all for all the information and advice given. I now know alot more about the relationship between oil changes and engine life and maintaining warranties. I realize how important it is for oil changes and not to disregard the recommend maintainence schedules.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:26 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,437 times
Quote:
I just purchased a 2015 Mazda 3 last Oct. Just got a call from the dealership that I need to go in for an oil change. Their recommended interval is every 4 months/5000 miles.

I scheduled a visit to get my oil changed in 2 weeks but I'm wondering if I actually need to do it since I drive my car infrequently. Its only on the weekends and a few miles usually. I haven't checked my car manual yet to see what the oil change schedule is..but I plan to when I get home from work. The dealership said that the first oil change is complimentary so i figured what the heck. But in the future, I'm thinking I can probably go longer between oil changes since I don't see myself driving that much.

Right now, my vehicle has about 700 miles on it and is running fine. No problems whatsoever.

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance.

I PROMISE YOU.....NO, you DON'T NEED to Change the Oil before 3,000 miles reached since your last Oil change !!!

Some of the BIGGEST 'Con jobs' are in the Automobile business. I grew up in the Auto business. My Dad was a Dealer, owned a Dealership for many years. I LEARNED A LOT.

Do NOT Allow yourself to be deceived by RIP OFF people trying to benefit from Customers ignorance.

I own a nice Lincoln, over 10 years old, with 115,000 miles. I had oil changed 5 months ago, and have only put 2,300 miles on the car since that last oil change. Had my Dynamite Expert mechanic look at the oil a week ago. He said Oil looks good....no problem going another 700 miles before changing.

3000 MILES BEFORE YOU NEED TO TO CHANGE. Honest

Old 02-20-2015, 12:43 PM

187 posts, read 270,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Regardless of what you want to call it, it isn't protecting your engine anymore.

A while ago I read an article about the effects of atmosphere and temperature on engine oils. The general consensus was that unless running a full synthetic, your engine oil should be replaced at 3000 miles (5000 kms) or six months, whatever comes first. This is due to viscosity breakdown due to the heating and cooling of normal engine use, and because old engine oil can pick up moisture from the atmosphere over time (also an effect of normal heating/cooling). Of course there are now semi-synth and full synthetic oils on the market that alter that philosophy a bit. However, if the OP is planning on keeping the car longer than 5 years, it is recommended to replace the engine oil early to remove particulate created during engine break-in, and to ensure the engine is properly protected. Going forward, he should follow the manufacturer's recommendations if using full synthetic, or the 3000/6 months time frame if running old-school dino oil or a semi-synth blend.

You pay an awful lot of money for a new vehicle and it is mind-boggling that anyone would recommend skimping out on something as important as regular oil changes for the sake of saving a few dollars. Seriously...

FWIW, I took my 2014 Jeep Wrangler in for it's first oil change earlier than the "oil monitor" recommended. The girl at the service desk insisted that the oil change wasn't necessary yet. I told her it was my vehicle and I wanted the oil changed. It is now due for its second oil change (by my estimation, the oil monitor claims I still have 40% life left in it) and I plan on switching to full synthetic for every change going forward.
The bolded is what I am more concerned about by waiting too long in between changes. Regardless of how many miles you have driven, that oil has been through heating and cooling cycles and has potentially started to break down and become contaminated with moisture.

Oil changes aren't expensive, take proper care of your new car. We have a 2014 Mazda CS-5 and usually the dealer has coupons out for $50 oil changes. Well worth it for the longevity of your car. We have the oil changed every 5,000 miles, which has worked out to about every 5-6 months.

Now my BMW on the other hand, even with full synthetic there is no way I am going 15,000 between oil changes. There is just too much that can build up in your oil and too risky that the oil will start breaking down in that long of a time period. I change it myself every 5,000 miles.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The Mazda factory recommendation is every 6 months or 7500 miles. The dealer is just trying to enhance their income stream.

The oil with your very low mileage is likely still excellent at one year or more but since the recommendation is every six months that is what I would do.
If that is the "Mazda factory recommendation" then follow that guideline.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:41 PM

3,794 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Thank you very much! I didn't even consider that there might be warranty issues from a missed oil change.
Definitely follow the maintenance schedule prescribed in the manual and document that the work was done.

As an example of how it can go wrong if you don't: VW had problems with their 1.8 liter turbo engines in the Passat something like 15 years ago. Engines failed. VW conveniently blamed it on owners not properly changing their oil, but most mechanics came to the conclusion it was due the design and orientation of the engine in the engine compartment (longitudinal vs. transverse). No documentation of oil changes? Well, VW's position was that it was your lack of maintenance that caused the problem, so no warranty coverage!

Old 02-20-2015, 06:49 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Oil changes at 3000 to 5000 miles are a rip off to drive business at dealers.

I have a fleet of trucks. We change the oil at recommended by the oil manufacturer. I only use Mobil 1 advanced synthetic oil and purolator filters. This particular oil has been tested and shown to still be good at 25,000 miles but at this time they garauntee it to be good to 15,000 miles. I have never had an engine failure and have multiple trucks well in excess of 150,000 miles. Some are in excess of 350,000 miles. We change the oil at approximately 12,000 miles and have done so since the very first oil change.

You can pull the dip stick at 7000 miles and the oil is still golden and viscous, so why on Earth would you think it needs to be replaced. Engine oil is slightly hygroscopic but you can tell when the moisture content is high.....it will be milky looking after driving the vehicle. Unless you drive very short distances, what moisture is absorbed from the atmosphere will actually boil off and evaporate. If your oil is milky looking, you have an issue other than old oil that has been absorbing moisture......you have a blown head gasket or cracked head.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:10 PM

861 posts, read 1,336,181 times
Agree, 3k-5k interval is overkill and a waste of money. Jiffy Lube has done a great job brainwashing the masses. Not surprisingly, they are owned by Shell Oil.

With my new Honda Civic, I change 10k-15k intervals with Mobil 1 synthetic and have never had a problem, plus get 50+ mpg on the freeway. With my previous SUV, I have gone as high as 20k and never had a problem either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive