Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:45 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yep, I grew up in Pittsburgh and frames on cars would actually crack in half from rust damage !

My steering box used to be bolted to the other side of this hole. lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 12:53 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,884 times
People think I'm crazy but every week in the winter whenever there has been salt present on the roads I take my car to the local self-serve car wash, put in the minimum amount and wash the undercarriage and lower portions of the body around the car, as well as the front mats (that's all we use). It helps keep the corrosion/rust down and for $3.00 I think it is worth it.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:16 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,247,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantCow View Post
I've heard it mentioned a lot that snow and salt will destroy cars, rust and corrode the underside etc... But how true is it?

I'm searching around for a CPO 2012 Audi and came across a car that matches what I'm looking for but it's been a personal lease in Connecticut for the past two years. With the amount of snow they get every year should I just forget about it?
Audis and Volkswagens come with a 12-year unlimited-mileage corrosion warranty. There are exceptions which are worth investigating, but no other manufacturer comes close to my knowledge.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:14 AM

76 posts, read 92,630 times
^ I've looked into that corrosion warranty and Audi is notorious for finding loopholes around it. IE. when it comes to rust, it has to completely rust through before they fix it.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:37 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,247,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantCow View Post
^ I've looked into that corrosion warranty and Audi is notorious for finding loopholes around it. IE. when it comes to rust, it has to completely rust through before they fix it.
That's is close to true; it can't be just on the surface. On the other hand, at least with the Volkswagens I'm familiar with, rust is still pretty rare. I have two. One has just a little surface rust behind one front wheel, the other is rust free. I live in Minnesota. And both are 2003 models, so getting close to the 12-year point. I don't see a need to even bother a dealership about either one.

That's why I don't think you need to worry about a late-model Audi that's only been in the Snow Belt for 2 or 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive