Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:43 PM

612 posts, read 1,512,610 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a 2012 pre-owned certified Hyundai Elantra and the hyundai dealer only gave one key for it. While leaving the shop, I asked the sales agent for another key, he gave me a thinking expression and then said that they don't have another key for this car. I was quite not buying that, so I called to the store again to check for 2nd set of keys. The lady at the front desk transferred me to the manager and sales agents about 4 times, but nobody was answering to it. I have dropped them a follow up email on it for now.

The first user of the car used it as a personal lease. If I am not wrong, according to the lease terms while returning the car after lease, the owner has to handover both the set of keys right? I am planning to personally go and visit the dealer again for this, but before that I would like to understand the terms and conditions of lease return.

If my understanding is wrong about returning both the keys at end of lease, is there anything else I can ask/tell the dealer to get 2nd set of keys? Or will I have to make a duplicate from some hardware store?

Sorry I am newbie in terms of buying cars. My first car was 12 years old and the dealer had given me 2 sets of keys so I never faced this problem before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 08:17 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
I will say many new and newer cars you can't just go to a hardware store, well some stores you can, but the key not only gets cut but there is an electronic chip in the key handle that has to be programmed. Sometimes hardware stores make these but at least $60 and up and at dealers expect to pay more at a dealer for a key if you had to get one made.

Otherwise with a mechanically cut key it will start and immediately turn off because it didn't receive the electronic "chirp" code from the key fob.

These are called transponder keys and many key stands will have a display where you can hold your key up to it and it will light up indicating its an electronic key, but even going back to 2001 and thereabouts I have vars that have those transponder keys in them.

If you lose the original key it may cost a few hundred to have a new one programmed.

I'm guessing the previous lessor may have only brought one key back and they are dragging their feet since it's not a matter of $2 to get another one made.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:40 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
I'm leasing now for the first time and my sales consultant said I need to return both sets of keys or they will deduct the cost of them from the wear and tear allowance.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:01 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
Is all this time and effort really worth it for another key?

And did the dealer promise you a second key? With a used car, they have no obligation to give you a second key.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
What a bunch of BS, Optimistic . . . it would definitely be a "deal breaker" as far as I'm concerned.

Either those guys come up with BOTH SETS OF KEYS or I would be canceling the deal ASAP.

As soon as you threaten to return the vehicle and cancel the deal, I bet they'll find the second set.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:04 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,018,675 times
lol. In the more than half dozen cars I've traded in over the years, I've only ever given them the key I showed up with and was never asked for the second key. On a couple of occasions I returned to the dealer with the second key, but that was only if it wasn't out of my way. It's not a big deal, but they should at least give you a second key as a replacement if you ask.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:04 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
The former lease person has nothing to do with this transaction.

This certified used car was sold to buyer. It is up to buyer to make sure that the car is complete.

Why would you take the car without two keys?

Sounds like a crappy lazy dealership to me. And doesn't say much for the brand.

Did you sign a sales agreement? If so, did you read it?

Anyway, make an appointment with the General Manager of the dealership. And ask for a 2nd key. Odds are - you will get a key. No, don't ask the salesman or the service guy/gal. Go to the top first.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:33 AM

459 posts, read 619,333 times
If it is a certified car, it should come with 2 sets of keys...at least that's what VW told me for their CPO models.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:46 AM

612 posts, read 1,512,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The former lease person has nothing to do with this transaction.

This certified used car was sold to buyer. It is up to buyer to make sure that the car is complete.

Why would you take the car without two keys?

Sounds like a crappy lazy dealership to me. And doesn't say much for the brand.

Did you sign a sales agreement? If so, did you read it?

Anyway, make an appointment with the General Manager of the dealership. And ask for a 2nd key. Odds are - you will get a key. No, don't ask the salesman or the service guy/gal. Go to the top first.
Sales agreement doesn't say anything about what comes with the car. It just has the details of the car, the buyer and the lien holder. I have dropped an email to their manager and waiting for them.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
If you sign a lease requiring you to return two keys, they have to give you two keys. But if you're buying a car, they can deliver to you whatever is described in the sales agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive