Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 05:25 AM

1 posts, read 703 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that my abs light is on and check break system light is on in my car. So, it is obvious that I have to take my car in for repairs. My concern is that last night I was at a gas station, left the car running and went to the booth to make a purchase. When I got back into the car, I put the car in D(drive) and the car started rolling backwards. I went to put my foot on the breaks and it was like the brake pedal was hard and would not stop. When I went to put the shift back into P, the shift slid as I moved it up. The shift slides up and down and the car wont start. Horn works, light comes on, radio plays and wont take a boost. Had to tow the car back home. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong from reading this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 07:06 AM

8,893 posts, read 19,941,736 times
You need to just take it in somewhere and have a mechanic or a dealer service dept diagnose it.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:57 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,759,669 times
Year, make and model !!!!!

By completing your question with this information, you will be able to get better help !!!!!

Old 02-21-2015, 10:41 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,855,186 times
Sounds like you have issues with the transmission shift selector or if an electronic transmission, shift solenoids on the transmission. If you put it in "D" and it rolled back, it was probably really in "N" - or neutral which disconnects the transmission from the motor. And a car will not start unless it is in "P" or "N" due to the safety switch in the shifter or transmission. So that is probably why it would not start. It would not let you to start it while it was in gear since that could cause an accident.

Hopefully it is something simple and cheap, and not something that needs the transmission removed to repair.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive