Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:29 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times

Advertisements

My wife has had a 2000 Silhouette and still has a 2004 Pontiac Montana. Both were extended versions with power doors on each side. Neither had problems. They are grandchildren-hauling and garage sale visiting machines.

I would no more want a a minivan without power doors on it than I would want a F150 without power locks. I don't have power locks on my F150 and I get REAL tired of crawling across the seat to let passengers in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 08:06 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
My sentiments exactly. But, I would expand it to include "Power" anything, and add that such things increase weight and decrease fuel economy. Sure, the decrease due to the added weight is barely measurable, but it is there, and over time it adds up!
While we have never owned a mini-van, we did have several Ford Club Wagons (the passenger version of the Econoline van). The manual sliding door on those things is half again as big and heavy as the ones on a mini-van, but we had no problems with them.
Sure, but power windows are something I find awesome, and power locks, I can live without them, but they are nice on larger cars, although I may never own a minivan, adding power windows to the sliding doors was an awesome idea, because vent windows suck monkeyballs. Window motors don't wiegh much either.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:10 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Same could be said for power steering, seats, windows, AC but I won't go there
Some of you already know how I feel about those as well. If I evr get mt mustang together, power brakes is the only "power" item it'll have, because even I don't trust manual brakes.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:15 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Some of you already know how I feel about those as well. If I evr get mt mustang together, power brakes is the only "power" item it'll have, because even I don't trust manual brakes.
But you do understand you are the exception to the rule. Majority of people would not purchase a car without these "luxury" features (power steering, windows, locks, etc)

Old 02-23-2015, 05:55 PM

863 posts, read 867,076 times
Nobody NEEDS power doors on a minivan but everyone WANTS them. The only reason they even still offer manual doors is for the really budget conscious buyer.

Chrysler, Honda and Toyota are the only ones still making minivans so of course any problems with power doors will naturally bring up their names. Power doors have been around a long time and they are built to withstand wear and tear.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I like my minivan without power sliding doors so I can work out my biceps each time.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:59 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
People on this board can argue about it all they like. However sales, reviews and my own experiences say otherwise.
We already know that many believe what the media tells them to believe. Others actually check to see if it's true or not.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:38 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Nobody NEEDS power doors on a minivan but everyone WANTS them. The only reason they even still offer manual doors is for the really budget conscious buyer.

Chrysler, Honda and Toyota are the only ones still making minivans so of course any problems with power doors will naturally bring up their names. Power doors have been around a long time and they are built to withstand wear and tear.
And Kia and Nissan.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I remember non-power doors as being horrendous, way beneath the quality that any car buyer should be asked to accept.

On the other hand, I doubt that anyone making minivans is capable of making reliable power doors. The mechanical problems are still there, power or not.
Heck; power window give more problems from what I have seen than van doors but then so do roll up. See it all the time.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
we purchased a used Chrysler Town & Country about a month ago...love the thing!

Two kids + power doors is great. When you've got your hands full, all you have to do is tap a button and the doors are open before you get to the car. Power lift gate is great too. When we park, we can open the doors, and unhook my daughter's harness...then she can hop out, and LOVES pushing the door closed button. Grab the kid in the rear facing seat, and we're off!

I'm not a mini-van person, but I tell you...I love the dang thing. Same time - I'm a guy who now drives a late model VW beetle...so I guess I'm "different"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive