Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:51 AM

6,535 posts, read 7,115,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Because true sports cars (not GTs) were traditionally convertibles, and the Corvette is really a traditional sports car, not a GT. Notice the GT in the names of a number of the cars you listed? GT's CAN be convertibles, but they tend to also have vestigal back seats, which traditional sports cars don't have.
Cool, learn something new each day, thank you! Weight is another reason, convertibles usually weighing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 AM

4,265 posts, read 8,167,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
True, the Cavalier wasn't really a good car, but it did look nice with the top down and had room for four people.
I had a 00 Z24 Convertible, I loved that thing.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:48 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,280,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Cool, learn something new each day, thank you! Weight is another reason, convertibles usually weighing more.

Yeah, that's a fairly recent thing, as traditional sports cars weighted less as convertibles (especially if they were true roadsters, without rollup side windows). For example, the MGB weighed less than the MGB GT....

vs

Old 02-23-2015, 12:06 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,405,302 times
I can't vouch for the quality aspect, but I found the look of the early 1990's Cutlass convertible attractive. Liked the B pillar as an actual roll bar cool.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM

358 posts, read 886,168 times
The G6 Convertible from Pontiac presented a pleasant appearance although it was a generally aberage or below vehicle as a whole.

Many of the most beautiful convertables ever made had four doors.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:29 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,280,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
It seems to me that a lot of the convertibles now have beltlines up to the driver's earlobes. It's like he wanted to buy a convertible, but only if he was surrounded by steel, because he's a sissy.
ALL modern cars have high beltlines, and when the convertibles are based on current production cars, then they take on the beltlines of those cars. And it has nothing to do with what the buyer wants, but what the regulations require. A pedestrian impact regulation that makes the nose taller over the engine, then makes the cowl higher, which in turn raises the beltline. In order to meet modern crash standards, that's what happens.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:33 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
I would like to find a Dodge Dakota Roadster Pickup.
However, if I did find one for sale, there is no way I could afford it!
Our daily driver, in all weather, is a Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Turbo Convertible.
Before that, we had a Chrysler LeBaron Convertible.
Long ago, (1963) I had a 1950 Plymouth convertible.
I wish BMW made an X-drive diesel convertible, but they don't and probably never will.
Of course, my Jeeps were convertibles.
Yes, I would like to see more manufacturers making convertibles again.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:02 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I would like to find a Dodge Dakota Roadster Pickup.
However, if I did find one for sale, there is no way I could afford it!
Our daily driver, in all weather, is a Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Turbo Convertible.
Before that, we had a Chrysler LeBaron Convertible.
Long ago, (1963) I had a 1950 Plymouth convertible.
I wish BMW made an X-drive diesel convertible, but they don't and probably never will.
Of course, my Jeeps were convertibles.
Yes, I would like to see more manufacturers making convertibles again.
Funny that you should mention that ! I saw one yesterday in Seal Beach Calif . I think I recall that it was a 1987 Red one that was pretty beat up, had way over 100,000 miles on the engine and he wanted $17,000 for it.
What do you think those would go for in good condition ?

Old 02-23-2015, 01:37 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Presume it is due to road noise and theft safety. Had a GF with a Miata. Very loud inside with the top up even with the glass instead of plastic rear windshield. When the hardtop was installed it was nice.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:49 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,160 times
My problem with convertibles is when nosey people stare in your car. I don't know about other places, but here in GA people like to pull up beside you and stare at you while you wait for the light to turn green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive