Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:00 AM

479 posts, read 1,435,975 times

Advertisements

I'm a loyal Subaru/Honda/Toyota buyer and view American cars in general as inferior in quality and reliability (used to work for Enterprise so I know what I'm talking about). I do like Fords though from my experience driving them, and they tend to be fun and modern in their styling. I've heard the Pontiac Vibe is a really good car too, even though it was co-built by Toyota. My girlfriend is in the market for a car and insists on buying American, but I want her in something safe and reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 AM

17,268 posts, read 15,458,474 times
Pontiac Vibe IS very much just a Toyota Matrix... And as such, probably the most reliable car they built.
When I worked in an automotive shop, I learned that [newer] Fords are far ahead of GM and Chrysler in terms of technology and build quality.
GM is okay at best, although their Buick lineup is rather impressive.
Chrysler as a whole is still putting out some pretty poorly-built, although nice-looking, vehicles.

How old of a car is she looking for?

I should add that Chevy Cobalts/Cruze are basically modern Cavaliers... They're reliable. Boring cars, but some of the best cars GM has built.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:56 AM

6,569 posts, read 7,161,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Pontiac Vibe IS very much just a Toyota Matrix... And as such, probably the most reliable car they built.
When I worked in an automotive shop, I learned that [newer] Fords are far ahead of GM and Chrysler in terms of technology and build quality.
GM is okay at best, although their Buick lineup is rather impressive.
Chrysler as a whole is still putting out some pretty poorly-built, although nice-looking, vehicles.

How old of a car is she looking for?

I should add that Chevy Cobalts/Cruze are basically modern Cavaliers... They're reliable. Boring cars, but some of the best cars GM has built.
Did you forget about this little ignition recall that only killed at least a 100 or so people?!?! This is GM's best? I'd look at Buick if buying American.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Did you forget about this little ignition recall that only killed at least a 100 or so people?!?! This is GM's best? I'd look at Buick if buying American.
We ARE discussing GM, here... They don't have a lot of "good" to offer. And yes, Buicks are decent, despite being, for the most part, regular Chevy's with better looks.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:08 AM

805 posts, read 1,874,483 times
IMO either a Ford Focus or Fusion.

Whilst not upto Honda/Toyota standards they are far superior to anything else out there.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:10 AM

479 posts, read 1,435,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
We ARE discussing GM, here... They don't have a lot of "good" to offer. And yes, Buicks are decent, despite being, for the most part, regular Chevy's with better looks.
Unfortunately, there's the reputation they have for being "old people cars". Right now, my top suggestions to her have been a Ford Fusion (hatchback if possible) or Pontiac Vibe.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:16 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,780,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
Unfortunately, there's the reputation they have for being "old people cars". Right now, my top suggestions to her have been a Ford Fusion (hatchback if possible) or Pontiac Vibe.
Fusion is a sedan, not made in a hatchback. The Focus is however made in a Hatch. My Father has one and he is quite happy.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:19 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,053,056 times
Price and an idea on styling or type would be helpful to offer advice. Each manufacturer seems to have models that fare better or worse than average. Asking for a manufacturer that is overall better is tough to say, it asks us to paint with a really broad brush.

FYI - to my knowledge there is no Fusion hatchback made. (At least that came to America)

Old 12-11-2014, 11:19 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,341,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
Ford Fusion hatchback would be the Ford Edge:

The Ford Edge is a mid-sized crossover SUV (CUV) manufactured by the Ford Motor Company.
The first generation Edge is based on the Ford CD3 platform shared with the first generation Ford Fusion (Americas), Mazda CX-9, first & second generation Mazda 6 and Lincoln MKX.
Along with a rebadged premium variant, the Lincoln MKX, the Edge (codename U387), is manufactured at Ford's Oakville Assembly Complex in Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Source: Ford Edge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-11-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Ford Fusion hatchback would be the Ford Edge:

The Ford Edge is a mid-sized crossover SUV (CUV) manufactured by the Ford Motor Company.
The first generation Edge is based on the Ford CD3 platform shared with the first generation Ford Fusion (Americas), Mazda CX-9, first & second generation Mazda 6 and Lincoln MKX.
Along with a rebadged premium variant, the Lincoln MKX, the Edge (codename U387), is manufactured at Ford's Oakville Assembly Complex in Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Source: Ford Edge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Ford Edge is a brilliant vehicle. Might not be in OP's price range. I agree with other posters: What are you looking for in terms of vehicle, other than being American?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive