Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 02:42 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,280,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Trouble with older German cars, I had one. Is after warranty is over and folks get sticker shop at dealer they start using non OEM parts.

My Mercedes Convertible which has 126K miles has Goodyear tires, Sears Battery, sparkplugs and wires I got from the Auto Parts store and I used knock off Oil Filters and AirFlilter and wipers from Internet etc. I even bought wiper motor and floor mats and seat covers on ebay. And I had it painted in a body shop and bought a new top off internet
Almnost none of that, other than the wiper motor, are actual mechanical repair parts. Tires? Who cares. I used Pirelli and Sumitomo high performance tires at different points on my BMW. Sears battery? Why not? Interstate has good ones for all these cars. Purolator oil filters? Cheap and OEM quality. I'm talking timing chain guides, water pumps, alternators, gaskets, etc that are easily gotten as OEM parts. Suspension bushings and tie rods and ball joints are also easy to source as OEM parts on the internet thoguh OEM parts sources like Rock Auto, Autohauz AZ, oembimmerparts.com, FCP Groton, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 09:27 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
For the BMWs it's really not that bad, even with OEM parts. For example the OEM water pump for my 7 series was $120 and it only took an hour to replace. The radiator that I replaced on spec because I bought it at 143k miles was only $150 and took 15 minutes to replace with just a flat blade screwdriver. THese qare just basic examples. My kid's 2002 325i was sold at 250k miles only needing rear wheel bearings, an alternato and a water pump from 150k to 250k. Each of those things was about $100 and took very little time to replace in the driveway. And oil changes are cake on them, among the simplest to do of any car I've ever owned as the drop in filter was right in the top front corner of the engine compartment. The one I pictured in my OP had 143k on it when i got it, and 185K on it when I sold it after 5 years and about $1000 in total parts, service, and maintenance (not including custom modifications like custom wheels, lowering springs, etc). I'll be replacing it with one at right around 100k miles, and I figure I can get it to 180-200k miles over th enext 10 years with as little cost. I'm also looking at getting one of those two jags in teh OP as a weekend toy that should also last a decade or more with very little work.

People get scared because they are, frankly, ignorant of what it takes to maintain these. My club is open to all owners of these cars to show where to get parts cheaply (including getting up to 20% off of parts at the local BMW dealership), how to DIY repairs and maintenance, and where to go to get good service if you can't do DIY stuff.
I wish I could give you 1000 positive points for this post. The car really is easy to work on. I guess I've replaced enough stuff on it this past few months where I'd LIKE to not replace anything else. But the work isn't hard. Just put it on some ramps, and follow the Youtube vids on the repair or a place like e46fanatics.com.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:19 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,922,881 times
I get all my parts from Pelican Parts. Not sure if they are the cheapest but it's a one stop shop for me for German parts. There, you can decide on OEM or no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive