Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:31 PM

695 posts, read 714,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
The Highway death toll would go through the roof .... instead of ~35,000 it would be in the HUNDREDS of thousands.

If you want to you CAN go as fast as you want ... pay many thousands a year for tickets and insurance.

Where are you going that you are in such a hurry?

Like the people that race out of work at night ...

I've watched several Indy-500 cars slam head-on into a brick wall at over 200 MPH and the driver gets out and walks away. We need to abolish all speed limits on freeways and force automakers to design cars with this amount of safety.

Second anyone who doesn't feel comfortable driving at those speeds can just STAY OFF THE FREEWAYS all together!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
WOW that is SOOOOOO cool .....

I got that crap out of my system in my early twenties after many times repairing damage to u-joints, brakes, tires, etc. .... I guess some of us NEVER mature.

I can pretty much be sure the guy in the video does NOT have a girlfriend or wife, if he does have a "girlfriend" she is many years younger than him chronologically.
I didn't say I do Brake Stands, I said I won't own a vehicle that is not CAPABLE of doing one. Have you ever seen these piece of junk 4-cyclinder cars stuck in the mud and they can't even spin their wheels under full-throttle? It's sickening and pathetic!

Cars like that aren't capable of accelerating fast enough to merge onto the freeway even under full-throttle, and have no business being on the road in the first place let alone manufactured!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:37 PM

101 posts, read 176,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post

For those of you who don't know what a Break-Stand is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq7z...M&html5=1&hd=1
This is also called Burnout lol

Old 03-09-2015, 11:40 PM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
I've had Cruise Control on all the cars I've had and I've never used it, wouldn't even know how to use it!

The idea of it! Driving the same steady speed on a Freeway? That spells an a potential accident for me! Yup! Falling asleep at the wheel due to boredom!

Old 03-10-2015, 06:24 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
If you wish to hear from God Himself; read the Bible.

The slow-pokes in the left lane are not usually legislature members or cops, although there have been a few (off-duty) that have met with my driving them off the road. So far, none of them has been able to do much about it other than call me on the phone or threaten me with "Formal Complaints." LOL.

So you believe Road Rage Supremacists belong in prison? So you lump them in the same category as Murders, Rapists, Bank Robbers, and Child-Molesters? I'm honored!
Attempted murder can land you in prison. Deliberately running someone off the road could very easily be called attempted murder, especially at high enough speeds. I'm not lumping you with murderers, rapists, and the like, you are lumping yourself with them by driving like a blithering idiot.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:17 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,721 times
This is not a cruise control issue, people. It's an inconsiderate, distracted, ignorant driver issue. No different from any other.

On a 3 lane interstate, why do I see:
-- drivers in the CENTER lane, change lanes to the RIGHT -- IN FRONT OF a tractor trailer that was happily moving along in the RIGHT hand lane. IF the car in the center had stayed where it was minding its business, the semi would have passed by and rolled along in the free right lane like was doing anyway. But NOOOO. STUPID drivers, think "I know I'll pull over and let him pass." You effing idiot. If you'd stay in your lane he WOULD have passed you. But you pull IN FRONT of him in a lane that was wide open...forcing the truck to now get in the CENTER lane to pass you because you pulled in front of him, instead of keeping your slow-driving arse in the center WHERE YOU WERE! I see cars do this all the time. ANd when it's a small car, I'm thinking "don't you know that truck could run over you, and not even feel a bump. And you're pulling in front of it?" Most times the truck isn't right up on the car, but still, I know the truck driver must be pissed. Heck I'm pissed when it happens to me.

-- drivers in the far left lane holding up and entire line of cars, because they're on the darn phone

Or on a street:
-- drivers who must have firgging ESP just to **** me off because as I'm midway back in the block approaching the red light in a lane that's open at the red light, who were perfectly happy being the second or third car back from the light, behind other stopped cars in their lane. will -- I CAN FEEL it coming -- pull into the lane I'm in and get in front of me. It's like they see you coming and SUBCONSCIOUSLY THEN REALIZE the lane is open and now they move into it. AND when the light changes they CREEEEEP and don't know how to pull off at the light. What do I have some kind of magnet that people need to get in my lane. IF they weren't going to pull off -- like they actually had some place to go -- they could have stayed in the lane they were in behind the other cars! Damn this pisses me off.

-- drivers who are in a LEFT lane that could go straight OR turn....who don't have their turn signal on, so you get behind them. THEN they put the signal on -- sometimes not until the darn light changes!!!! But you're stuck behind them because cars are driving past on your right, and you can't get around. SO you MISS or barely make it through the frigging light, because they had to wait practically the entire light for opposing traffic.

Sorry for the rant, don't even get me started on cab drivers or elderly drivers.....
Driving in Washington DC and the surrounding area is ONE HELL OF A DAILY GRIND!

Old 03-10-2015, 02:55 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
This is not a cruise control issue, people. It's an inconsiderate, distracted, ignorant driver issue. No different from any other.

On a 3 lane interstate, why do I see:
-- drivers in the CENTER lane, change lanes to the RIGHT -- IN FRONT OF a tractor trailer that was happily moving along in the RIGHT hand lane. IF the car in the center had stayed where it was minding its business, the semi would have passed by and rolled along in the free right lane like was doing anyway. But NOOOO. STUPID drivers, think "I know I'll pull over and let him pass." You effing idiot. If you'd stay in your lane he WOULD have passed you. But you pull IN FRONT of him in a lane that was wide open...forcing the truck to now get in the CENTER lane to pass you because you pulled in front of him, instead of keeping your slow-driving arse in the center WHERE YOU WERE! I see cars do this all the time. ANd when it's a small car, I'm thinking "don't you know that truck could run over you, and not even feel a bump. And you're pulling in front of it?" Most times the truck isn't right up on the car, but still, I know the truck driver must be pissed. Heck I'm pissed when it happens to me.
People on here complain about failure to keep right all the time, and then when someone actually follows the protocol, you complain about having to change lanes to go around them.

I can see being upset if he's making a dangerous lane change, but whether your state's law is "keep right except to pass" or "slower traffic keep right," the slow guy is doing exactly what he is supposed to do by moving over to the right-most lane. I'm not aware of any state or country that has a "keep middle" law on the books.

I do agree that D.C. area drivers are a special kind of stupid, however. They make Boston drivers look like saints.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:54 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,721 times
I realize you didn't say the car couldn't stay put in the center. But yes I am pointing out that many drivers are STUPID and don't THINK, about what's SAFE, before the move.

At that point, with a semi about to roll by at 70 miles an hour -- the car that was apparently happy enough to be in the center -- should stay where it is.... let the truck pass...AND THEN get on the right if that's what it wants to do. The rule was for that car to be on the right before that and apparently that wasn't an issue, why when a truck comes by. Is is safer move over, in front of a semi going 70 miles and hour. (and possible risk a jack-knife.) DUMB!

I drive during overnights a lot, and see it happen when there's no one behind that center lane driver so he's not holding any one up lane wise. I see it during the day -- when there's more volume and the move is more disruptive to traffic flow. Because the car has changed lanes, and is forcing the trucker to brake or change lanes into the center when he's more likely to have some one to his left already interrupting THAT center flow. When the car could have stayed where it was and THEN moved over IF it wanted to...and the trucker would be on his merry way.

Quote:
People on here complain about failure to keep right all the time, and then when someone actually follows the protocol, you complain about having to change lanes to go around them.

I can see being upset if he's making a dangerous lane change, but whether your state's law is "keep right except to pass" or "slower traffic keep right," the slow guy is doing exactly what he is supposed to do by moving over to the right-most lane. I'm not aware of any state or country that has a "keep middle" law on the books.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:22 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I realize you didn't say the car couldn't stay put in the center. But yes I am pointing out that many drivers are STUPID and don't THINK, about what's SAFE, before the move.

At that point, with a semi about to roll by at 70 miles an hour -- the car that was apparently happy enough to be in the center -- should stay where it is.... let the truck pass...AND THEN get on the right if that's what it wants to do. The rule was for that car to be on the right before that and apparently that wasn't an issue, why when a truck comes by. Is is safer move over, in front of a semi going 70 miles and hour. (and possible risk a jack-knife.) DUMB!

I drive during overnights a lot, and see it happen when there's no one behind that center lane driver so he's not holding any one up lane wise. I see it during the day -- when there's more volume and the move is more disruptive to traffic flow. Because the car has changed lanes, and is forcing the trucker to brake or change lanes into the center when he's more likely to have some one to his left already interrupting THAT center flow. When the car could have stayed where it was and THEN moved over IF it wanted to...and the trucker would be on his merry way.
Totally agree. I've seen it in VT as well but with only two lanes. Car is cruising along above the speed limit in the left lane. Another car comes up in the right lane going much faster. Car in right lane moves behind car in left lane, gets all over their bumper, flashing lights in an attempt to force them to move over. It is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen and I've seen it more than once, but only in VT. While I know you're technically not supposed to pass on the right, if I'm traveling in the right lane and come up on someone going slower in the left, I just drive by. Anything else just seems silly and dangerous. Seriously, trying to force someone to move over just so you can pass them "properly"?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Attempted murder can land you in prison. Deliberately running someone off the road could very easily be called attempted murder, especially at high enough speeds. I'm not lumping you with murderers, rapists, and the like, you are lumping yourself with them by driving like a blithering idiot.
Attempted Murder would have to be proven in court by "intent." If I kill someone they don't learn a lesson. I'm all about teaching lessons, and dead people don't learn lessons, so permanently maiming them so they can never get behind the wheel again but have to live with the memory of what happened when they cut me off is a better option!

Last edited by Doctor Z; 03-10-2015 at 11:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive