Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 12:31 AM

120 posts, read 116,506 times

Advertisements

I see it all the time, or have to deal with it. I have my cruise control set for the Speed Limit + 5 MPH, and am cruising along when someone passes me, then cuts in front of me and SLOWS DOWN! What the Hell?

Or we'll all be cruising along at the same speed with Cruise Control on and a single rain drop will hit the windshield and everyone slams on their brakes at the same time and slows to a crawl!

Finally, I'm cruising along in the left lane passing everyone on the right, when someone sees me coming up behind them and changes lanes in front of me and then keeps pace with the slower traffic on the right they came out of. What's up with that?

If you're hauling along at a certain speed with NO ONE in front of you, why must you keep speeding up and slowing down constantly? There should be a law against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 12:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Not every one has cruise control.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:02 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
That's why adaptive cruise comes in handy. The car keeps a set following distance (on my car you can select three distances) and when traffic slows down the car slows down for you and when the car in front speeds up the car speeds up until it reaches your desired maximum speed.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:28 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Never heard of adaptive cruise before, but would love to have it.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:34 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Simple answer, people can't drive properly. No different than the moron in town that is in such a rush they pull out in front of you and force you to hit the brakes to avoid hitting them, then they do 10 under the speed limit.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:43 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Because they're distracted by their portable screens when they should be focused on driving.

Just yesterday, I had to pass two cars plodding down the highway in the left lane going 10 MPH below the speed limit. Both drivers were texting. Get the **** out of the left lane, you morons!

Old 02-28-2015, 05:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Plain and simple. Not paying attention.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:03 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooterdunk View Post
I see it all the time, or have to deal with it. I have my cruise control set for the Speed Limit + 5 MPH, and am cruising along when someone passes me, then cuts in front of me and SLOWS DOWN! What the Hell?

Or we'll all be cruising along at the same speed with Cruise Control on and a single rain drop will hit the windshield and everyone slams on their brakes at the same time and slows to a crawl!

Finally, I'm cruising along in the left lane passing everyone on the right, when someone sees me coming up behind them and changes lanes in front of me and then keeps pace with the slower traffic on the right they came out of. What's up with that?

If you're hauling along at a certain speed with NO ONE in front of you, why must you keep speeding up and slowing down constantly? There should be a law against it.
Yeah this irks me tremendously. I set my cruise and go a steady speed and sometimes somebody will zoom past me at a high rate, slow down slower than iwas going forcig me to pass them, then zppm past me agaon and slow down, repeat, repepeat, etc....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Why Can't People Maintain A Steady Speed On The Freeway?

Because when they're driving, way too many folks are convinced that they can "multitask" and that driving their vehicle is some secondary process that they don't need to concentrate on. After all, chatting with Zelda on the new Bluetooth about the new neighbors is so much more interesting than keeping your attention focused on the road.

We might have fewer drunks on the road these days, but they've been replaced by a new breed of knot-heads.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:16 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Because they're distracted by their portable screens when they should be focused on driving.

Just yesterday, I had to pass two cars plodding down the highway in the left lane going 10 MPH below the speed limit. Both drivers were texting. Get the **** out of the left lane, you morons!
YEA, get in the right lane if you want to text and drive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive