Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against logo signs in urban areas?
For 18 85.71%
Against 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:43 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,329,597 times

Advertisements

I have done this poll at AARoads before, and I would like to know, are you for or against logo signs (big blue signs with logos of food, gas, lodging, camping, attractions, and 24-hour pharmacies) in urban areas?

Until 2000, there was a national restriction on these signs only allowing them in rural areas. The 2000 MUTCD added provisions to allow them in urban areas if adequate sign spacing can be maintained. As of this year, not all states have adopted these provisions; the most recent state to adopt them is Arizona. They have been going up on a few freeways in the Phoenix area, with estimated completion in 2016 (except for Loop 303 which is planned for 2018).

I am personally for them, since in urban areas there is more competition, leading to more potential revenue for the state. Also, another thing that seems to be overlooked is that without logo signs, many will be tempted to pull out their smartphones while driving at highway speeds, which can be very dangerous. Logo signs can help reduce that temptation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 11:56 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
I have started to see them around Denver area in the last few years. I do think they are stupid as most exits off highways in urban areas have plenty of food places. Of course it's a revenue stream for them

Old 03-02-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I have started to see them around Denver area in the last few years. I do think they are stupid as most exits off highways in urban areas have plenty of food places. Of course it's a revenue stream for them
The problem isn't the quantity of restaurants, but what restaurants. You cannot assume that every exit will have the restaurant you want.

For gas and lodging, some people may be part of loyalty programs and their preferred chain may not be available at that exit. Logo signs will give them hints.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:41 PM

470 posts, read 1,664,574 times
I've always hated these signs. In rural areas it way say gas this exit but you get off and find out the gas station is 5-10 miles off the highway. That doesn't help at all.

If I need something urgently I will pull over and look it up on my phone.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:47 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
I've always hated these signs. In rural areas it way say gas this exit but you get off and find out the gas station is 5-10 miles off the highway. That doesn't help at all.

I've never experienced that. When they say there is gas at an exit is is usually right off the exit. And I've driven many sparse low populated areas like NV, NM, AZ, and WY

Old 03-02-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:

You know that is illegal except in emergencies. Pulling over to look up something on your phone is not an emergency.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:02 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
I'm on the fence with this issue. They are invaluable during long drives in unfamiliar areas (I used them quite a bit during my drive from San Francisco to Portland recently for fuel/food stops) but I can see the value in a urban environment as well. Particularly in a place like San Francisco which has seen gas stations disappearing left and right over the years, it would be advantageous to have signs indicating which exit will get you to a fuel stop without driving halfway through the city. I also understand that these signs aren't terribly attractive so they would need to be spaced properly without a sign for each exit.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I'm on the fence with this issue. They are invaluable during long drives in unfamiliar areas (I used them quite a bit during my drive from San Francisco to Portland recently for fuel/food stops) but I can see the value in a urban environment as well. Particularly in a place like San Francisco which has seen gas stations disappearing left and right over the years, it would be advantageous to have signs indicating which exit will get you to a fuel stop without driving halfway through the city. I also understand that these signs aren't terribly attractive so they would need to be spaced properly without a sign for each exit.
California is one state that still restricts logo signs to rural areas only. Here are the following states that I know allow logo signs in urban areas:
  • Arizona
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Louisiana
  • Massachusetts
  • Minnesota
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin

Old 03-02-2015, 01:20 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,846,819 times
Quote:

The one lone sign that has some unknown gas station can sometimes be like that. That is why when I look for a gas stop/motel/food stop I always look for groups. If there is one for motels, one for gas stops and another for restaurants it means I'm coming up on an area that has plenty of choices and something will be open and not the one lone gas/food stop several miles away which might even be closed.

As far as urban areas, they sure do help if your not from there. Not every exit has a place to stop nearby and the unfamiliar one traveling through can easily end up lost in the wrong side of town while looking. Again, just like in the rural areas, if there are a couple of signs with a selection of stops advertised it means something is not going to be to far off the highway.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post

As far as urban areas, they sure do help if your not from there. Not every exit has a place to stop nearby and the unfamiliar one traveling through can easily end up lost in the wrong side of town while looking. Again, just like in the rural areas, if there are a couple of signs with a selection of stops advertised it means something is not going to be to far off the highway.
The ramp signs normally would include distances to each place anyway, although some states omit the distances for anything under one mile.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 03-02-2015 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive