Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's the needle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 09:12 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,971,475 times
This story may or may not relate to op but it's something to check out.

Years ago, when I was working in the automotive service field. I had a kid brought in a silver chevy Impala for an alignment. I walked to the car open the door. Open it. The door didn't feel right. So out of curiosity. I glanced at the hinges and door jamb. Color matched, but there was a junkyard color marker on it. Didn't think anything of it. Drove on the rack for my tech to do his work.

Next day, a woman called to speak to the manager of the facility. Customer started complaining that her son brought in the car for an alignment. And since she got it back. It doesn't drive right and the door doesn't close all the way.
She claimed that her son witness my tech got so upset with the alignment job that, my tech slammed the car door so hard, it now sag. She wants someone to do something to make it right.and if she doesn't get it, she's gonna call her attorney.
I explained to her that i am the manager and I happend to drive her car in and, I felt the same way when I open her car door.. I pointed it out to her. Someone had replaced her door with a used one. The lady called me a liar.
So I told her go look at the name of the junkyard written inside her door jamb. I told her to think back who's been driving her car.
Her young son.

So if you got weird things happend to your car. Did u loan it out to someone?
A slammed door won't do any damage. Yes even a Honda Civic.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:42 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,418,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Some cars have a safety switch that cuts all power under an impact. However, I had an early '90s Honda Accord that was nearly cut in half in an accident and it still started and ran.

Check any fuses near the door that was slammed.
I was thinking something along these lines too. I had a '92 Tempo that some jerk off chucked a frozen watermelon through the back window....at speed. The watermelon hit the frame of the window and split 20/80. The 20% ended up 100ft down the road, the rest was in the car. lol

Anyway......the impact was hard enough that it tripped the fuel cut off switch. Now, I still had power, but all she did was crank. Maybe newer cars cut out everything including power, but I was just using an example of something you wouldn't think would have enough energy to trip such a system, tripping the system.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:33 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
One thing to think about is whether the slam puts more force on the car than a bump in the road does. Maybe because the bump is moderated more by the suspension. But who can slam a door that hard?

Old 03-03-2015, 03:46 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
The Vtec probably came loose lol

Old 03-03-2015, 06:28 AM

336 posts, read 591,551 times
Tell the car that you are sorry. Don't fake it as she will know.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:36 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Bump. Hey OP, what was the issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive