Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:18 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times

Advertisements

Do not buy a vehicle with a lift already installed unless it is a suspension lift and you can get it inspected by someone who knows lifts to make sure the lift was done right. Do not ever buy a truck with a body lift installed. Body lifts do nothing to help you with clearance issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 05:50 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
Its just a toy, or a nuisance depending...do you really need it?? Cant think of a better toy.

If you need transportation - which one of your negatives is that you dont need it - and you like it, buy it.

If you are basicly good to go as you are, save your money. Dont blow it, keep saving it. There will be nicer and newer toys 1...3...5 years from now too.

Your choice.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:57 PM

387 posts, read 589,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Its just a toy, or a nuisance depending...do you really need it?? Cant think of a better toy.

If you need transportation - which one of your negatives is that you dont need it - and you like it, buy it.

If you are basicly good to go as you are, save your money. Dont blow it, keep saving it. There will be nicer and newer toys 1...3...5 years from now too.

Your choice.
dammit woman, stop bringing sense and reason into my thread! lol
no i dont need it, and yes, i can save the money and put it towards the mortgage!

Old 03-02-2015, 05:59 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
dammit woman, stop bringing sense and reason into my thread! lol
no i dont need it, and yes, i can save the money and put it towards the mortgage!
lol

Old 03-02-2015, 06:22 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Hold my beer and watch this..."
Famous last words.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:26 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Besides want there is no reason for a pickup. Do whatever pleases you.

Except:
hauling manure
hauling mulch
hauling various pieces of power equipment
hauling firewood
hauling a few dozen full body goose decoys and carts to take them into the blind
pulling your boat trailer
hauling a couple dozen crab pots
hauling lumber

That is just a short list of what I do with my "no reason" pick up.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:34 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Well, you said you would get a 4-door crew cab anyway, right? Check out the back seat in many of those. If you can carry 5 people in the truck, it's already useful to carry people around in case you don't use it do carry different payloads (in case you are using this to satisfy the mid-life crisis).

Old 03-02-2015, 06:41 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
I've been a truck guy forever, I love trucks.

My view is this: If you've wanted one your whole life, might as well get it. Life's too short not to. Besides, trucks are durable and last a long time if properly maintained.

I'd bump the budget up a bit. For $32k, you can get a brand new Ford/Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 V8 with leather. The rebates are pretty good right now.

Get the one you want with all the features you want and keep it forever.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:45 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
reminded me of this. good way to ruin a $60,000 truck.
http://youtu.be/JKQdlXvbWSU

i can live with having a 20k truck as a play thing.
Get a truck if you want one and can afford it, you'll probably find more reasons to use it once you have it than you think you will.

I would suggest buying a cheaper stock 4x4 and then having a reputable shop add your lift, larger tires and lockers (you'll definitely want lockers for mudding). If you buy one that has already had it done you might save money, until you find what is broken from the previous owner beating on it. Odds are good a stock 4x4 hasn't even ever left the pavement.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:32 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Except:
hauling manure
hauling mulch
hauling various pieces of power equipment
hauling firewood
hauling a few dozen full body goose decoys and carts to take them into the blind
pulling your boat trailer
hauling a couple dozen crab pots
hauling lumber

That is just a short list of what I do with my "no reason" pick up.
Most people nowadays don't actually do anything physical, and would have no use for a pickup. The idea of spreading a pickup bed of manure is so far outside their experience that they couldn't even conceive of it. That said, add a receiver hitch and an electric brake controller to the Wrangler and a 12' trailer would handle even bigger loads. You would have to buy the trailer, because the rental outfits won't even rent one unless you have a 3/4 ton or larger to hitch it to.

What I wonder is where he's getting a 4wd crew cab for $25k. It must be pretty used. They retail for about twice that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive