Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Typically agree on first model year to be sure to avoid any teething issues. As for the final before redesign, I think that can be a little more fluid depending on personal and financial particulars. I know you mentioned the resale could suffer a little due to the new model. However, there may be the opportunity for an incredible deal on it too, negating the resale issue. Also, if long term ownership is intended, the immediate impact on resale may not be that important. For instance if someone is going to buy a new car and drive it into the ground, the residuals on the car are not that important, but saving a few extra grand through end of cycle incentives plus avoiding the increase in list the redesign may have could save them a lot.
I disagree. 10 years from now, the 2012 Camry is going to worth couple of thousands of dollars more than the 2011 Camry because they look totally different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 09:14 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I disagree. 10 years from now, the 2012 Camry is going to worth couple of thousands of dollars more than the 2011 Camry because they look totally different.
Which only matters if you are looking to sell it - not everyone cares about resale. I bought my car to keep so I know I don't. Anyway, people look to outgoing models for discounts, and if you think about it - it's the same thing as getting more money for it when you sell.

What really matters is if you can live with your choice. The new redesign of my car is butt ugly and I'm glad I got the previous generation even though it's 6 years old now. Newer is not always better except for sell price.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:44 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Quote:
Lets look at a better example. The 2007 model year Camry was a full redesign from 2006, and those are much closer to 10 years old than the 11/12 refresh (since you pointed out so strongly your preference for redesign over refresh).

MSRP of a 2006 Camry SE. $20,375. Current value $6,841 (KBB private party resale, 108K miles or 12K/yr, Fair). "Cost to own $13,534"

MSRP 2007 Camry SE. $24,815. Current value $7,696 (KBB private party resale, 108K miles to keep it close to apples to apples). "Cost to own $17,119"

Relevant conclusions to the discussion.

The equivalent Camry after close to 10 years is worth $855 more than the prior model year at the same point of age/ownership/usage. (Not a couple thousand.)

The prior model year Camry is significantly cheaper to own over this span despite having a lower resale, since it was much cheaper to buy. Specifically $3,585 if MSRP was paid.

Chances are, the gap is wider since the '06 would likely have had money on the hood to move it off the lot with the redesign being released... which would not have been available on the redesign.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:46 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Just as soon as my 1999 one goes Kaput. Get either, you won't be sorry.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Chances are, the gap is wider since the '06 would likely have had money on the hood to move it off the lot with the redesign being released... which would not have been available on the redesign.
You totally forget the fact that months or even weeks after you purchase your BRAND NEW car, there is a completely newer and different version of your car on the road or on the parking lot parked right next to your "new" car.

Not, a year or two later, but weeks later. That's worth something, doesn't it?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
You totally forget the fact that months or even weeks after you purchase your BRAND NEW car, there is a completely newer and different version of your car on the road or on the parking lot parked right next to your "new" car.

Nope, I did not forget anything.

I just struggle to follow all your straw dogs as they run around this thread.

Originally you were waiting YEARS to buy a future redesign. Now your speaking about the difference of months or weeks.

Then your argument is to wait for the redesign because it will be worth so much more in 10 years... presumably because doing this makes "financial sense." I think I just showed this financial sense costs you a lot more money.

So now, I assume, you do not mind it costing you more money since your getting a newer looking car and don't have buyers remorse due to the slightly different body style that will come out and be on the road. Of course, that feeling will last a rather short time frame since Camry's are HUGE sellers and everyone and their brother will be cruising around in it months after you buy it. $3500 more is a lot to pay for a month or two of "exclusivity"

Thats not even getting into the fact cars like the Accord and Camry have very subtle styling changes one generation to the next, and the average person would not know the difference if it were redesigned even if they were parked side by side.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:

I think you are the perfect candidate for continual 2 year leases. That way you will always have the latest and greatest. You seem to be obsessed with that.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:07 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Nope, I did not forget anything.

I just struggle to follow all your straw dogs as they run around this thread.

Originally you were waiting YEARS to buy a future redesign. Now your speaking about the difference of months or weeks.

Then your argument is to wait for the redesign because it will be worth so much more in 10 years... presumably because doing this makes "financial sense." I think I just showed this financial sense costs you a lot more money.

So now, I assume, you do not mind it costing you more money since your getting a newer looking car and don't have buyers remorse due to the slightly different body style that will come out and be on the road. Of course, that feeling will last a rather short time frame since Camry's are HUGE sellers and everyone and their brother will be cruising around in it months after you buy it. $3500 more is a lot to pay for a month or two of "exclusivity"

Thats not even getting into the fact cars like the Accord and Camry have very subtle styling changes one generation to the next, and the average person would not know the difference if it were redesigned even if they were parked side by side.
Yep, OP is buying a Camry or Accord. There are millions of them on the road. Pull into any parking lot and you will see dozens if not hundreds of them. Does it really matter what the design looks like. They are designed to please the most amount of people while trying not to offend anyone. In other words bland and vanilla.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I think you are the perfect candidate for continual 2 year leases. That way you will always have the latest and greatest. You seem to be obsessed with that.
I totally agree. The OP seems more concerned with staying at the front of the curve, and not like someone who keeps a car 10 years. In that case, he could lease a new Camry or Accord today and be ready to replace it when the redesigns hit in a couple years.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:

2011 and 2012 Camry look very different to me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive