Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 06:44 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times

Advertisements

To answer the OP's question, they finance it. A classmate of mine (I'm in college, and she's 20 or 21) drives an X3. She is an RA (free housing) w/ $12,000 stipend. If it's used (which it probably is), her payments could be around $500/mo.

BOOM! That's how it's done.

Of course, tuition, books, and meal plans or probably paid for via student loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:56 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
It's all about priorities. My husband has a friend who has 2 Lamborghinis, but lives in an apartment (a nice apartment, but still). I would much rather own a nice house and drive a crappy car, but I guess to each their own!

With leasing contracts, it can be quite "affordable" to "own" a luxury vehicle.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I tell my kids if they have a way to make it in life and can answer all the questions on how to get from zero to hero without a degree then feel free to not go to school.

Here is an example. My oldest son had an idea that he was going to create the artwork for video games. That was his passion in life. He decided to just jump in and see what will happen. After a few years of stuggling he realized that he did not have all the answers. He went to school and will complete his degree next year.

As far as my family of 8 kids, I being the 2nd oldest and 2nd son I am the only one to go on and get a degree. My oldest brother always performed. He can play anything with stings. One of the things he is known for is playing the base guitar, he has a beautifull up right base in his collection of stringed instruments. He has toured for years and even has a couple of albums out there. I don't know what his income was but I know he has paid for three wives, or ex wives. LOL

My younger brother has always had a knack for the computer. The only company he has ever worked for was a former client of his and he became a principle in that company. He barely graduated from high school because he would rather spend all his time on the computer. He owns a business that makes way into the 6 figures. He does not have a degree.

I can go on and on.

Here I am editing this post. I realize that I didn't complete my thoughts.

What I am getting at is that their are many ways to the magic number you may have in your head about what a successful paycheck looks like. For some getting an education is the pathway to success. For others an idea that they can develop is the answer. I couldn't write a song to save my life but my brother has written hundreds of them. I don't understand code at all like my younger brother. He found his success that way. When I was younger I thought that I had all the answers. It turns out that I didn't or I didn't put the effort in to make my dreams come true. I did end up going to school and getting a couple of degrees later in life. Since that time I have found moderate success in my life. I see mysellf as on track for success. For me that means well more than a $100,000 income.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 03-11-2015 at 09:44 AM..

Old 03-11-2015, 09:09 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
It's all about priorities. My husband has a friend who has 2 Lamborghinis, but lives in an apartment (a nice apartment, but still). I would much rather own a nice house and drive a crappy car, but I guess to each their own!
After the market crash in '06, "owning" a house is a whole lot less attractive to many people due to massive depreciation. So renting can get them into a nice place that they don't have to pay to maintain as well as losing money on value. Plus it gives them the flexibility of moving easily if they need/want to.

if I were single with no pets, I'd be renting now, too, after watching my house lose value faster than the mortgage balance is going down...

Old 03-11-2015, 09:35 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Well; some people don't really care about the car they drive, and put money elseware.

Not having a degree doesn't mean they can't afford to own a luxury car, especially an older model.
A degree these days is just paper from a college that rips off kids for $100,000. I hope someday colleges will be shown for what they are. A scam. Anyway, you should have wrote about people with money, not people with a degree. Plenty of super wealthy people that didn't fall for the college scam.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:41 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
There are many people who make +$70,000/year and drive cheap cars because they spend their money to buy houses, and there are people who make little money who drive luxury cars and live in apartments.
How people with no degree buy luxury cars? and have enough money to maintain their vehicles?
Because if you don't spend money on trying to get a degree, you can probably afford to buy 2 luxury cars instead.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:52 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
A degree these days is just paper from a college that rips off kids for $100,000. I hope someday colleges will be shown for what they are. A scam. Anyway, you should have wrote about people with money, not people with a degree. Plenty of super wealthy people that didn't fall for the college scam.
I was watching a documentary about Henry Ford the founder of Ford Motor Company, he left home at the age of 16. He never graduated high school and look what he did. I know times have changed but look at Mike Ilitch who ownes little cesar pizza, the Detroit Redwings, and the Detroit Tigers he is worth 4.9 billion $$ he never went to college. So having a degree means nothing.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
I was watching a documentary about Henry Ford the founder of Ford Motor Company, he left home at the age of 16. He never graduated high school and look what he did. I know times have changed but look at Mike Ilitch who ownes little cesar pizza, the Detroit Redwings, and the Detroit Tigers he is worth 4.9 billion $$ he never went to college. So having a degree means nothing.
Henry Ford. The Founder of Two car companies. Can you guess the name of the first car company and what became of it?

Old 03-11-2015, 11:33 AM

804 posts, read 1,075,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Do you have ANY idea of how many English Lit Majors, Psychology Majors, Arts Majors and others are working at Starbucks? Don't equate "degree" for intelligence. For most of them, the would have been better starting a moving business for all those students coming and going.

Ever heard of the phrase; "Mine the Miners"? Look it up....
yea because those degrees are worth less then the paper they were printed one.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:36 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
There are many people who make +$70,000/year and drive cheap cars because they spend their money to buy houses, and there are people who make little money who drive luxury cars and live in apartments.
How people with no degree buy luxury cars? and have enough money to maintain their vehicles?
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive