Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 03:39 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times

Advertisements

Many, many of us grew up in a time when the paradigm of [degree=successful, no degree=not successful] was not as blindly accepted as it is today.

My father-in-law came from another country with the equivalent of an 8th-grade education. He doesn't even have a high school diploma, but he retired seven years ago as co-owner of a modestly prosperous car repair shop, with a nice home in Orange County, CA and two BMWs.

My husband also has no college degree but he now owns the repair shop, and we do very well on his income in this high-COL area. We have a house and three BMWs.

It still possible to do well without a degree AND it is certainly possible, even common, to have one or two degrees and be unable to support oneself.

However, I really doubt that welfare recipients are buying new luxury cars with their government checks. There has to be more to that story. Who knows, maybe some people look at our BMWs and think they are "luxury cars," but the most recent is a 2003 and we paid no more than $5000 for any one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 03:40 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Right! Although, I do judge those young guys you mention after knowing some of their story and find their behavior to be depressing. It seems like most of their money is going to pay off a car note/gas/insurance, with not so much left over to properly plan for financial stability in years to come.
Yeah and they often live with a bunch of roommates or family.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:06 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Lots of people with no degrees make a very good living. Surely you know that.
One guy who was in my lead paint certification class was a black guy who looked kind of poor...He made 200K per year. But I'd agree that some of the people who have luxury cars don't have much money. The reason they can afford the cars is because Americans don't have to have money to buy a car.

All you need is to be able to pay the monthly payment on a loan. If the loan term is long enough, or the car is old enough, or you have enough of a down-payment, then the monthly payment may be affordable. Lets not even get started on the super expensive houses that people are still buying...at least where I live.

Where are they getting the money? Are they able to save anything? It would be hard for me to sleep at night with that much debt...no matter how nice the house or car was.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:07 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,830 times
You can buy a 7-8 year old MB S500 for about $20,000 +/-. It's a luxury car but at a much lower cost, and that's what I see the most in lower socioeconomic areas in my town. A lot of "misguided youths" buy those, throw 20" rims, paint them all kinds of stupid "candy" colors and may even add a rear wing to the trunk lid.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
There are many people who make +$70,000/year and drive cheap cars because they spend their money to buy houses, and there are people who make little money who drive luxury cars and live in apartments.
How people with no degree buy luxury cars? and have enough money to maintain their vehicles?

The same way people with a degree buy luxury vehicles or anything else, they either finance the purchase or they pay cash.

One does not have to have a college degree to be approved for a loan.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:10 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,364 times
I had a neighbor who didn't believe that my husband was really an attorney, because Mr. Hubby drove a 10-year-old, plain-jane Ford truck.

For some people, appearances are NOTHING.

LOL.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:14 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
lol
My dad couldnt get the valet to park him at the state Bar Ass'n meeting one year because he was in his 20 year old rusted out SUV.
He had to pull out his membership card for the kid to believe he was a lawyer.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:23 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Look and see what a skilled tradesman makes in the auto or steel manufacturing industry's . I know a guy that works for Ford Motor Company he is a too and die maker, he is making over a $100,000 with all the hours he works.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:44 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,220 times
Having a degree is not the only way to make money. If you have specialized skills you don't need one. Although I would encourage people to go if its for a real major. Else go to trade school or learn by doing.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
There are many people who make +$70,000/year and drive cheap cars because they spend their money to buy houses, and there are people who make little money who drive luxury cars and live in apartments.
How people with no degree buy luxury cars? and have enough money to maintain their vehicles?
so now it requires a college degree to own a luxury car these days? what does not having a college degree have to do with buying a car? any car? how about bill gates? he has no college degree, yet he with worth $50 billion. does that mean he cant buy a luxury car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive