Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 05:30 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Life is better because I don't have to wake up to go to work in the morning to find my vehicle missing. Cars have been stolen since their inception so although your statement sounds deep on the surface its really a meaningless jumble under any real scrutiny. My cousins who live near Carson, NV still park their cars unlocked but anytime you're in a decent sized city, you're going to be at risk for theft and it wasn't much different in the 60's.
I absolutely disagree. What he is saying is that it is a sad commentary on our society that we NEED to have devices to keep someone from stealing our stuff. How can you not agree with that statement ? Sure, car thieves have been there since the first car rolled down the street, but isn't it sad that we haven't progressed any in all that time ?

I think it is a very legitimate question, and anyone, anywhere who parks their car unlocked is just foolish......regardless of if you live in Mayberry or NYC. I live in a gated community in a nice area and we just had some cars that were unlocked and broken into. The thieves passed up the locked ones and went for the easy kill.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 06:21 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Protecting your "stuff" from thieves can be an expensive proposition.

A fancy alarm system in your expensive car seems to be a good investment but not so much in your beater pickup but both can be the target of thieves.

Some people think they need thousands of dollars in expensive guns in their homes to stop thieves from stealing their $500 TV/s.

It would be nice but certainly naive to think that people will not steal cars, rob stores, speed on the highway but unfortunately many people won't play fair so we need the Govt. to mandate rules to help prevent the bad guys from doing bad things.

If you don't want people taking your stuff do whatever it takes to keep them from doing so. If that means keeping your car locked or sleeping with a gun under your pillow that's your decision but don't expect people to all of a sudden become nice law biding citizens because "back in the day" people were more honest.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:41 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I absolutely disagree. What he is saying is that it is a sad commentary on our society that we NEED to have devices to keep someone from stealing our stuff. How can you not agree with that statement ? Sure, car thieves have been there since the first car rolled down the street, but isn't it sad that we haven't progressed any in all that time ?

Don
Crime is a product of human nature. We all have innate desires and self-interests, and we all have some degree of morality and empathy (mental illnesses aside), and sometimes those self-interests will prevail. Thieves are thinking about their own desire to possess something not empathizing with the other person losing it. This has existed since man learned to walk upright. We will not "progress" beyond this until human nature evolves, which may or may not happen, in a few million years. In the meantime, society needs laws and security mechanisms to keep those self-interests in check.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:49 AM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
how easy is it to hot wire a car? Anyone done it? Is it still possible with newer cars?
Seems to me that tons of cars are stolen every year, and those thief's are not using tow trucks nor do they have keys in most instances.

So I think that should answer your question.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:52 AM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Protecting your "stuff" from thieves can be an expensive proposition.

Some people think they need thousands of dollars in expensive guns in their homes to stop thieves from stealing their $500 TV/s.

I think most people have guns to protect the things that you cannot put a price on, such as the safety of the living souls in the home.

`

Old 03-11-2015, 11:17 AM

9,504 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Entering the car by any means sets off the the flashers and horn.
These guys appear to have figured out a way to open a locked car without setting off the alarm:

WATCH: Thief uses mysterious electronic device to easily open locked car | Q13 FOX News

Old 03-11-2015, 12:03 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Best anti-theft device there is: don't own a car someone wants to steal. I drive a Ford Focus. I could probably (almost) leave the windows open, doors unlocked, and the keys in the ignition.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:09 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,933 times
Pop the lock, find the purple wire; nothing but a thing, on a 78 Monte (etc.).

Old 03-13-2015, 07:10 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Not going to read the entire thread, but people do realize that the locking steering column is only required on manual transmission models? My C5 Corvettes did not have locking columns (there were Automatics), my 2008 Hummer H3 with a Auto did not have a locking column.
My understanding is the law requires a locking mechanism and with the automatic you had the brake transmission interlock switch...ignition has to be on, step on the brake to pull trans out of park; for the manual, the steering wheel had to lock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive