Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 762 times

Advertisements

So I bought a car, my first car. I know I probably should've gone to a dealer but I went to go register the car in my name. I was able to but it says lienholder on my title. How do I get that removed? Please be nice. I don't know about cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 11:57 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,981,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsmartaboutcars View Post
So I bought a car, my first car. I know I probably should've gone to a dealer but I went to go register the car in my name. I was able to but it says lienholder on my title. How do I get that removed? Please be nice. I don't know about cars.
Huh? Is this car financed? Who (or what) did you buy it from?

Old 10-08-2015, 12:23 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Can you reach the person you bought it from? (How much you wanna bet the answer is no, the phone number is disconnected)

Old 10-08-2015, 12:24 PM

3,508 posts, read 767,005 times
sounds like you bought a car that someone else owes money on ..

Old 10-08-2015, 12:25 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
If you bought from a private party, the vehicle must have been financed at some point. There can be errors at the DMV where even if the title is in hand, the lien may not have been properly removed. I am assuming that the seller furnished you with the title. What they need to do is obtain a release of lien from the lienholder so the DMV can re-title in your name and allow you to register the vehicle. You may be able to contact the leinholder and explain the situation to get a letter for the DMV releasing their claims on the vehicle, as well, without disclosing the seller's personal information to you; however, they may want the seller to obtain the release, assuming the vehicle was paid off and you have a copy of title in hand from the seller with the bill of sale.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-08-2015, 04:43 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Notsmartaboutcars, when someone finaces a vehicle, that person actually does not own the car. Bank owns it. There is lien on the car. One of my cars is financed, and new title that came in has my name on it and credit union name on it as lien holder.
I am presuming, title you talking about is title given to you by seller? Or, by DMV? As seller gives you title, you go to DMV licensing, turn in title, and they send you a new one, vehicle registered in your name - or bank name - about a month later.
So which title is it?

Old 10-08-2015, 07:10 PM

11,349 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsmartaboutcars View Post
I smell a troll.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:15 PM

206 posts, read 473,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If you bought from a private party, the vehicle must have been financed at some point. There can be errors at the DMV where even if the title is in hand, the lien may not have been properly removed. I am assuming that the seller furnished you with the title. What they need to do is obtain a release of lien from the lienholder so the DMV can re-title in your name and allow you to register the vehicle. You may be able to contact the leinholder and explain the situation to get a letter for the DMV releasing their claims on the vehicle, as well, without disclosing the seller's personal information to you; however, they may want the seller to obtain the release, assuming the vehicle was paid off and you have a copy of title in hand from the seller with the bill of sale.
Good answer ! I will share my experience with you. 10 years ago I bought a 40+ y/o Corvette from the original owner in NY. Paid him cash and he handed me the title and keys. Stupid me, I didn't check the title for a Lien until I got home, and there was one. Owner stated he had paid the car off in the first 3 yrs but had no lien release. Drove back up to NY and the seller and I went to his bank......which had changed names/hands/owners 5 times over the years. Long story short, the local bank was of no help.

So I went back home and had to research on the internet who had bought the first bank, who had bought/sold the second bank....and on and on. Wasn't really that hard to do but time consuming/aggravation. Finally came up with which bank currently owned/stored the old records, which was now in Texas and CALLED THEM, no email stuff, I wanted to talk to an actual person. The person I spoke with in TX wasn't giving me the answers/help I wanted to hear, I asked to speak to her supervisor, who turned out to be a car guy. Had my Lien Release snail mailed to me in a matter of days.

so the upshot is buying from a private seller is fine but ALWAYS check the title before money changes hands.

and to the OP, on your title it should state who the lien holder is and that is who you need to contact. As the buyer I was able to obtain the lien release, the seller was kinda helpful but in the end it was all on me. YMMV, good luck, with some effort you will get this done and next time you will be much the wiser.

Now if the Lien was never paid off you have another problem............keep us posted on your results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive