Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 05:57 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,833,115 times

Advertisements

Good info TrapperL.

My wife's 13 Equinox has direct injection, and the OLM was reprogrammed on them to reduce the oil change interval for the earlier models. There were quite a few issues with the 2.4L on oil consumption and fuel diluted oil on the 2010-2011 models resulting in new and rebuilt engines. So we change it at about 5K miles with the specified Dexos oil, which is just about right on with the revised OLM. Even though I prefer to change it myself, the dealer is changing it now until the 5/100 warranty is up because of the problems on earlier models. But I will make sure to use the oils you mentioned when that is up. I used Pennzoil Platinum in my prior 10 Vibe GT and also in my son's 06 Vibe and it always looks good when changed.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 05:59 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
I also use the 10K kms oil change frequency.
I use synthetic oil and replace my cars when they get in the neighborhood of 300K kms, to date i've never had an oil related problem with any car i've owned.IMO if it makes you feel good to change your oil at 3K intervals fine but i think you are wasting your money and giving no extra benefit to your engine..

Old 03-11-2015, 06:23 PM

5,768 posts, read 3,192,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
I've read a bunch of posts on this topic, but no one seems to get into the details of why you might follow the manufacturers oil schedule vs. doing it more frequently. I'm not finding a lot of useful information out there and I'd like to understand the reason's for either doing it more often or less often.
  • Most used 2011+ Accords and Camrys being sold had oil changes on average 8-10,000 miles. The dealers all stated that this is fine so long as you change the oil when the indicator light comes on.
  • My mechanic says this is wrong and its a conspiracy by the dealers to drive more frequent sales. He says if you want to have a high miles / +15 year car, then stick to a 3000 mile/3 mo schedule.
  • When I press dealers about this point, I do get some agreement that dealership mechanics who have high miles cars all stick to the 3000/3 mo schedule. BUT, those cars will all have been made prior to 2010, so I'm not sure it counts.

I'm don't know who to believe in this debate. My mechanic stands to make money in more frequent oil changes or the dealer stands to make money in more frequent sales. The idea that it may be bad to change it every 8-10K miles has shied me away from buying used at all--that and the fact that used cars seem to be over-priced in the market at the moment.

Last question: if I should change it every 3000/3 mo, do I switch to regular oil from synthetic.
Every 5000 miles.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:47 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
Quote:
Wow, great information! So I guess more details are in order. I'm looking at another Camry or an Accord between 2011 and 2015 - 4 cylinder. I drive 2-5 days/wk for work 54 miles round trip--half of them highway. Around town driving on the weekends. I live outside of Chicago, so flat with some slightly extreme temps in winter/summer. I'm an average driver and keep it under 80MPH on the highway. Most around town driving out here averages 40-55 mph.
I think if you take decent care of the drive-line, almost any oil will see the engine last 250K+ no problemo. Living in the rust belt, IMHO you will likely have rust issues before you have wear issues.

Your driving habits are good for a long engine life, and you should be fine with the OEM's recommended oil change intervals.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:38 PM

3,394 posts, read 6,036,139 times
Quote:
Wow, great information! So I guess more details are in order. I'm looking at another Camry or an Accord between 2011 and 2015 - 4 cylinder. I drive 2-5 days/wk for work 54 miles round trip--half of them highway. Around town driving on the weekends. I live outside of Chicago, so flat with some slightly extreme temps in winter/summer. I'm an average driver and keep it under 80MPH on the highway. Most around town driving out here averages 40-55 mph.
As extreme as temperatures in Chicago may seem to you, the reality is that they're really not that extreme for long enough periods of time, IMO.

Do you do a lot of stop and go driving? That's harder on a motor than cruising highway miles. I compare it to jogging at a decent pace versus sprinting-stopping-sprinting. Which one will tire and wear you out faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think if you take decent care of the drive-line, almost any oil will see the engine last 250K+ no problemo. Living in the rust belt, IMHO you will likely have rust issues before you have wear issues.

Your driving habits are good for a long engine life, and you should be fine with the OEM's recommended oil change intervals.
I agree there. I think most motors will last. Now the rest of the vehicle is another story. LOL.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:49 PM

168 posts, read 546,466 times
Original owner. 98 accord 383,000 miles with mobil1 synthetic and mobil1 filter. Oil and filter change 10,000 to 12,000 miles. Freeway commute 23,000 miles a year.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:20 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,629,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Had a 1978 Nova that I bought cheap. I decided to see how much abuse it would take. I went 120,000 without an oil change. At that point the transmission died. Took it to a shop and they could not put it on their rack. It was so rusted they were afraid it would fold.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:52 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,885,209 times
I own a 20 year old car. I don't even drive 3,000 miles a year, and all driving I do is mostly city driving. The car does have a small leak though and at the end of the year it gets quite low. So I just have it changed with my yearly inspection at the end of the year.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:54 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Good info TrapperL.

My wife's 13 Equinox has direct injection, and the OLM was reprogrammed on them to reduce the oil change interval for the earlier models. There were quite a few issues with the 2.4L on oil consumption and fuel diluted oil on the 2010-2011 models resulting in new and rebuilt engines. So we change it at about 5K miles with the specified Dexos oil, which is just about right on with the revised OLM. Even though I prefer to change it myself, the dealer is changing it now until the 5/100 warranty is up because of the problems on earlier models. But I will make sure to use the oils you mentioned when that is up. I used Pennzoil Platinum in my prior 10 Vibe GT and also in my son's 06 Vibe and it always looks good when changed.

Thanks!

My Sonata also has direct injection, and after about 5k miles the oil is very black and has a fuel smell to it. I usually change it at about 4k miles. Hyundai says it can go to 7,500 but there's no way I'd go that long, especially with short trips.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:04 AM

44,871 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Just a throw in, I've owned cars made in every decade staring in the 1960s. In none of them, including the monster engine (400 cu. in.?) in a 1976 Grand Prix was the oil change interval for normal driving 3000 miles. Dusty, high heat, stop and go driving, yes, but not normal use.

Some of them (1979 GP, 2010 Forester) the interval is/was 7500 (the Pontiac was a filter change every 15K, didn't do that and still changed the oil and filter every 5000) while the 2014 F150 is 10K.

OP, follow the maintenance schedule and you should get 250K. Other things (struts, shocks) will wear out way sooner than your engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive