Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:19 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times

Advertisements

I am NOT a 'gadget' person, but I've been thinking about getting one. More and more there are just some situations where you want some proof on your side.

If you have one...what made you get it, why did you get it?
Has it come in handy yet?....

If you don't have one, are you thinking about getting one? Why?

Also any makes or models that are good, and easy for a non tech person to use?
I've seen them presented on the HSN home shopping channel for less than 100 bucks...and as low as 70.00.

I've hesitated to get one, just because. But the world is getting crazier by the hour. So I'm thinking this is the thing to do.

Did you hear about the PA driver who was able to fight a police ticket for running a stop sign? His dash cam proved he stopped. Not to mention possible road rage craziness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 02:54 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
I have thought about it before. Simply for the random case in which it might come in handy like an accident or someone does something to you (or if a meteor just happens to hit like in Chelyabinsk )

Old 03-11-2015, 03:48 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Been thinking about it for some time.

Just hope I decide to get one before I really need it.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:18 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
I have one. Unfortunately I moved back into town. In Texas we are seeing a lot of imports from other states. Some of these states must use a breathing test to determine if you get a license or not. They certainly didn't test for any driving skills or knowledge. I've found myself driving more often with the antilock brakes working over time due to morons that have no clue what a red light means or just makes a left turn and ********* stupid- stop if you can. I decide I needed a visual backup of these dimwits just in case they decide to lie about what happened. I find it amazing how many low life, arrogant, morons there really are in this country.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:06 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,798 times
I've been wanting to get a good one, but for now I'm using an app on my android phone to record where I'm driving. It is not the greatest; it hangs a second or so every so often, but that might be a function of my phone since it is a 3+ yr old model. At least I hope it will capture enough video just in case I need it. So far, nothing interesting in the past 4 or 5 months, luckily!

Old 03-11-2015, 05:14 PM

922 posts, read 1,148,904 times
Got one of these for $30.... works pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YFGowq4II

Old 03-11-2015, 05:23 PM

279 posts, read 356,410 times
I don't own one ... Yet!

I'm going to add it to my list of needs

Old 03-11-2015, 05:34 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
I'm giving the Black Box G1WH a shot. It is a decent little chinese unit that gets the job done as well as the high dollar commercial units. I have had it under a year so the longevity remains to be determined. It is nice and small, tucks right behind the rear-view. It can also be easily detached and used as a picture camera to collect photo evidence if needed.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
I have a FineVu CR500-HD. Shoots video in 1080P (can shoot in other resolutions, as well) & I capture 6 hours worth of video.

Why did I get it? A family member was involved in a no-contact accident caused by a moron & their insurance denied a claim since there was "no contact". YEAH, you morons, that's because my family member's a better driver than your nincompoop moron of a client!!!

Anyways, I haven't had any need for video yet but I sure am glad to have the camera on my side every day!

I also got some random Chinese-made dashcams on the cheap via Groupon: horrible. Absolutely horrible quality compared to my Korean one. If its cheap & Chinese....well, a word of warning: there's a reason for it being cheap and selling slowly.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:41 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Been thinking about it for some time.

Just hope I decide to get one before I really need it.
A few hours later and I ordered one off Amazon that was more than I wanted to spend, but it's rated very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive