Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:05 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,070 times

Advertisements

I remember the manufacturers getting rid of roll down/electric down rear windows because of a concern of exhaust fumes being back drafted into the car. Ruined the fun of the rear facing seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:07 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,256,544 times
I guess they took the U out of SUV. My wife drives a new Highlander we bought a few months ago and I can see what she sees in it. She sees a car that sits higher with 4wd (the distinction with AWD is lost on her). That’s it. These are the only two features that moved her over to the SUV side. This is the demographic we are talking about. I would say a tailgate would be a turn off as it reminds her of a truck (which I have one). She won’t be hauling any cargo. Besides, power liftgates are much cooler. Never cared for the roll down window. Much easier to just open the tailgate.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:14 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,375,189 times
Chevy Blazers were offered with with split gate or liftgate. Perhaps GM took a message from that. Split gates were rarely seen on the road.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:15 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
I think the best were the dual tailgates that could either be swung sideways or down.
They gave support for long items, but were easy to load the groceries or kids in the back.
the 1950 Plymouth wagon we had when I was a kid had the "normal" split tailgate; the window raised and was supported by latch rails, and the tailgate lowered and was supported by folding straps.
My 1960 rambler wagon had a roll-down window and a tailgate that lowered, as did the 1970 Wagoneer and the AMC Eagle wagons we had.
I still think the two-way tailgate was the best!

Old 03-14-2015, 12:57 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,843,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I think the best were the dual tailgates that could either be swung sideways or down.
They gave support for long items, but were easy to load the groceries or kids in the back.
the 1950 Plymouth wagon we had when I was a kid had the "normal" split tailgate; the window raised and was supported by latch rails, and the tailgate lowered and was supported by folding straps.
My 1960 rambler wagon had a roll-down window and a tailgate that lowered, as did the 1970 Wagoneer and the AMC Eagle wagons we had.
I still think the two-way tailgate was the best!
That duel tailgate like what you mention (I remember it on the late 60's/early 70's country squires) was the ultimate. I'm pretty sure I remember a power window on those as well. Why that design disappeared a long time ago is beyond me. It could be opened as a door for easy access after lowering the window, lowered as a tailgate for a convenient seat/table or extension for carrying long items such as lumber and the window could be all the way down for assorted long items as well with the tailgate up or just lowered a couple inches for a clean pass through of air with the drivers window down.

Both of my Cherokees had the flip out window crank on the tailgate as well. I preferred the power windows I had on my Broncos. That crank could be a pain.

I can understand the fear of fumes, especially in this age of being scared.

Another thing is that possibly with those metal tailgates with the heavy glass inside was just to much for the average soccer mom to handle while having a kid in one arm and a bag of groceries in the other. My broncos and my Cherokees definitely required two hands to open or close. But my modern Ram's tailgate is heavy as well but my brothers F150 tailgate is a breeze with one hand. It might possibly be aluminum as it has a few dings in it. So they can be lightened up.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:19 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,816,732 times
I would like to see the decline of liftgates. People compalaining about the "effort" to open them, got powered models($$$) when it could've been avoided by simply liftglass, and an endgate. I'm happy somebody brought this up, it had never crossed my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive