Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:42 PM

695 posts, read 714,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
What's ironic about it?

Anyways, there's basically two types of "major roadways" and I'm not sure which one the OP is referring to.

You have suburban arterials, usually 2-4 lanes per direction, no on-street parking, often with a median or at least left turn lane, and traffic speeds typically around 40-50mph.

Usually biking on a suburban arterial is quite unsafe due to the high speed and volume of traffic, and there aren't a whole lot of alternate routes on side streets because the surrounding side streets are all loops and culs-de-sacs. On the plus-side, they often have very wide rights-of-ways, so you can have space dedicated to bikes without reducing the number of car lanes. I don't really think bike lanes would be appropriate on these though because bikes would still be close to a lot of high speed car traffic. Separated bike infrastructure would be better IMO, ex:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.56358...Hx-9SNLEaw!2e0

Then you have "main streets" or urban arterials, which typically have more intersections and slower traffic, like around 15-30mph, as well as on-street parking. They're usually in narrower rights of ways than suburban arterials ex:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64947...cSUdvi6tlw!2e0
For urban arterials, I would say that it's a lot safer biking in a regular traffic lane, and you're also more likely to have alternatives as side streets since there's often a street grid. You don't always have side streets as an alternative though, like in the link I gave (Dundas St W in Toronto) although there's a lot of N-S side streets, there's a lot less alternatives for going E-W.

I'm a little divided about what to do in these more urban neighbourhoods. Usually bike use is quite a bit higher than in the suburbs, often over 5% commute mode share and I know some examples that get over 10%. Oh and it's not like the other 90-95% are driving either, a lot are also taking transit or walking.
I'm referring to the urban arterials, or Main Streets of the city. Most of our suburbs are still deciding what to do about bike lanes.

In the past bikes just rode in the right traffic lane of the street and we motorists dealt with it. Then the Twin Cities, took away an entire traffic lane, and dedicated a "Bike Lane," kept all the on-street parking, and enacted a law that states you MUST allow 3-feet of passing room between your vehicle and the bicyclist, 4-feet if you're a commercial vehicle.

Along with this the City of Minneapolis, re-timed all the traffic lights to increase congestion in an attempt to SLOW the traffic down so as to make it safer for the bikes to use the streets!

Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I live on a busy street in a well-traveled neighborhood. Bike lanes were added specifically to slow down speeding traffic. It worked, to a degree, but not well enough. The city is now considering other traffic-calming devices, and I will welcome them.
And THAT is what I'm most angry about since I believe Speed Limits should be abolished! At least you're honest.

Let's just get something straight here. There is no such thing as "traffic-calming." What is really happening is motorists are getting more P*$$ed-Offed! You may slow the traffic, but you're increasing Road Rage.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I live on a busy street in a well-traveled neighborhood. Bike lanes were added specifically to slow down speeding traffic. It worked, to a degree, but not well enough. The city is now considering other traffic-calming devices, and I will welcome them.
Why not just put up speed limit signs?

Old 03-17-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvn88 View Post
Put yourself in bikers shoes, pretend you don't have a car. How and where would you ride your bike to go to and from work or to go to stores.
SIDE STREETS! And on another note, it's only illegal to ride on the side walks in business districts. Otherwise the side walks are also an option--LEGALLY!

Old 03-17-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
SIDE STREETS! And on another note, it's only illegal to ride on the side walks in business districts. Otherwise the side walks are also an option--LEGALLY!
Vehicles belong on the road. Sidewalks are for pedestrians. It makes no sense for a bicyclist to take side streets. They generally increase the length of a commute.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post

Did you know....that bikes are already required to follow the rules of the road?
I see very little evidence from biker actions to support this claim.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I see very little evidence from biker actions to support this claim.
Sadly, drivers and bicyclists, alike, think that laws don't apply to them. There are many good drivers and bicyclists on the road however and we should do our best to promote legal, and cooperative sharing of roads.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is against the law. Are you a criminal?

Why not? Are you going to show aggression with a vehicle? That's a crime. Are you a criminal?

I drive VERY aggressively and have been for over 35 years, while maintaining a PERFECT driving record and maintaining my professional DRIVING job. I guess I must not be a criminal after all, but have taught many other road traveling wayfarers a lesson as well as countless J-walkers.

I've been arrested a few times, booked once, and pulled-over dozens of times, but to all of no consequence.

My criminal record consists of a few counts of Criminal Damage to Property and Trespassing, all of which was committed while behind the wheel of a vehicle and usually related to a car chase spawned by someone who thought they could SLOW ME DOWN!

Old 03-18-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I drive VERY aggressively and have been for over 35 years, while maintaining a PERFECT driving record and maintaining my professional DRIVING job. I guess I must not be a criminal after all, but have taught many other road traveling wayfarers a lesson as well as countless J-walkers.

I've been arrested a few times, booked once, and pulled-over dozens of times, but to all of no consequence.

My criminal record consists of a few counts of Criminal Damage to Property and Trespassing, all of which was committed while behind the wheel of a vehicle and usually related to a car chase spawned by someone who thought they could SLOW ME DOWN!
One doesn't have to have a criminal history to be a criminal.

If you are committing crimes (such as using your vehicle aggressively to intimidate others on the road), you're a criminal. An example would be using your vehicle to intentionally make a bicyclist or pedestrian feel unsafe.

Even your car chases identify that result in criminal damage identify you as a criminal.

You've done a great job at identifying the problem on the road. It's you. If you really felt about making roads a better place for drivers, you should stay off of them.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:16 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:

what a tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive