Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:31 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,163,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The gears are close enough that it has decent acceleration and good fuel economy without "hunting" all the time. What's the point of having 9 speeds if the 8th and 9th gears constantly shift in and out with every little hill? That would be annoying to me.
The point is that with more speeds there is less "hunting" involved.
My 8 speed is extremely smooth and potent, you barely feel the transition and it surely saves gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 06:06 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
The point is that with more speeds there is less "hunting" involved.
My 8 speed is extremely smooth and potent, you barely feel the transition and it surely saves gas.
It's still doing a lot of shifting, whether you feel it or not. More shifting = more wear.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Perhaps I can interest the OP in a state-of-the-art Chevy from the '60s with a 2-speed Powerglide transmission...

I learned to drive in a 1964 Chevelle, with the 283 V8 and Powerglide, and it got 18 mpg, 22 on trips.
The additional gears now are needed to balance off the additional weight of safety equipment, and the smog equipment required by law, to meet the MPG requirements.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It's still doing a lot of shifting, whether you feel it or not. More shifting = more wear.
More shifting probably means more wear. But that also means the engine spends more time in its "good" RPM range, assuming the programming of the transmission is good. That uses less fuel, may accelerate quicker, and might even reduce engine wear if it spends less time at higher RPMs.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:23 AM

358 posts, read 886,537 times
Most automatic transmissions are made by ZF. GM designs transmissions for themselves and for other marques including Chrysler.

10 speed is supposed to be to this year and they are working on 12 speed.

At some point they are merely getting miniscule gains in efficiency which matters to no one except the government (and therefore to the manufacturers). They become more interested in vechicle performance numbers on paper than in real world conditions. For this reason a manufacturer will spend millions designing a seat that is 3 pounds lighter, then the purchaser will carry a gallon of water in the boot for emergencies and all the benefit of those millions redesigning the sea are lost. However the manufacturer does not care what happens in the real world. They care only about meeting government requirements on paper.

Thus adding more gears and improving efficiency by 1/10th of a mile per gallon is significant to the government and therefore to the manufacturer. Then they can say the program is working and there are forcing the manufacturers to make more and more efficient vehicles. The consumer care not one whit about the 1/10th of a mile per gallon more. They do care about the added cost for that 10 speed transmission though.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:12 AM

And if that 10 speed transmission fails at 120k miles you might as well junk the car because it'll cost a fortune to fix.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
More shifting probably means more wear. But that also means the engine spends more time in its "good" RPM range, assuming the programming of the transmission is good. That uses less fuel, may accelerate quicker, and might even reduce engine wear if it spends less time at higher RPMs.
This is why I said I thought 6 speeds was just right for most cars, good performance and fuel economy with the least amount of excessive shifting. At 65mph my 4cyl Sonata runs at only 1850 rpm, that's pretty low for a four banger. I don't think a 10 speed could do much better.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 AM

133 posts, read 205,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I think we're there already with 9 speed transmissions. And there are already a lot of issues with those
The problems with the 9-speed ZF transmission all stemmed from Chrysler's adaptation to make it work with the Cherokee. That's why it operates just fine in the 200, Range Rover Evoque, and Acura TLX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
Most automatic transmissions are made by ZF. GM designs transmissions for themselves and for other marques including Chrysler.
Even Chrysler is primarily using ZF units now. ZF is definitely one of the biggest headliners, but you also have Hyundai, Toyota's Aisin, Nissan's JATCO, Honda does some in-house work, Getrag, and Mercedes-Benz. And of course GM as you mentioned.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:12 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Personally I think tbey shouldv'e stopped at five, the only auros that need more than that are the ones in busses, and Rigs. If you want fuel economy, I think your only options should be a cvt, or a manual.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:23 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Personally I think tbey shouldv'e stopped at five, the only auros that need more than that are the ones in busses, and Rigs. If you want fuel economy, I think your only options should be a cvt, or a manual.
What is the engineering basis for your opinion? Manual transmissions are now outperformed by automatics - Ferrari doesn't even offer a manual now. Many compact cars have better fuel economy with an auto than a manual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive