Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 01:30 PM

68 posts, read 97,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
There is a high school next to where I use to live. The school zones was on and in effect during the Summer. School was not in session at that location, but the school zone was still on and enforced. Why it was on is irrelevant. If the signs say it is active from x time to x time, its able to be enforced.
Yes Absolutely yet here are my Questions:

1. Does the OP frequent that School Zone?
2. Was the OP fully aware that the School Speed Zone is in full effect until a certain time?
3. Are there Crystal Clear signs indicating the operating hours of the School Speed Zone?
4. Are there School Zone Flashing Lights there?
5. If not, can someone easily drive through the School Zone at 4:45PM, who does not reside in the area, and not see any Significant sign stating the School Speed Zone Hours?

I do not live there and do not know the answers to these questions yet what I do know is, where I live School is out at 3:30PM and at 4:00PM the regular speed limit of 35mph is back in effect so these Governing Rules are just not the same everywhere so if someone Does not see a Clear sign or Flashing light indicating such it is very Feasible to see someone caught Unjustly!

All I am saying and have been saying and have been try to say is, Let's be a Little Human here and First, get All The Facts instead of beating the OP into a Shameless Ground.

Everyone makes MISTEAKS...MISTAKES and Yes he probably is now hopefully calmer and fully realizes what he Could, Should or Might have done, just like a Tuesday morning Arm Chair Quarterback, yet he decided to come to the Forum and Vent a bit and All he has been getting is Shameful Ridicule and Belittlement and the last I checked that has not been the course of Therapy from Professionals, which I like to think we all are, providing guidance and understanding to the Needy by any Means!

He got a ticket Yes, it Truly SUCKS Yes, No One Wants One Yes yet let's take our Quick Judging Heartless mindsets and show if not some Compassionate Sympathy then at least some Constructive Advice and Guidance!

Remember: People who live in Glass Houses should not Throw Stones!

Kind Regards,
SD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 01:58 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeP View Post
Have you Never Vented about something and later Hopefully Calmed down and then reassessed the Situation?

The OP was venting and he came to this Venue not to Beaten up more and Ridiculed yet to receive Good Objective feelings and suggestions and Hopefully just minutely Hopefully a little Human Sympathy as well, yet what he instead Got and continues to get is a very Shameful BARRAGE & BOMBARDMENT of Sheer Heartless Ridicule and if Anything is so-called Childish that Certainly Leads the Pack in My BOOK!

Yes he will or probably already has come to the Realization of what he may have not been paying attention to or did in fact do Wrong yet you Do Not Kick someone when they are Down yet instead Hopefully offer them a Hand and Help them Back UP!

He did Not walk into a Bank and Shoot innocent people and then say, What did I Do Wrong!

He will more than likely just SUCK it Up and pay the State and County their Revenue yet maybe just maybe he has a very Valid point in what He Feels was Wrong and What should have been posted and been able to be "Clearly" seen so he would of known that he was First, in a School Zone and that the School Speed Zone was in fact still in effect!

He drove nonchalantly through at 27mph believing the Speed Limit was in fact 35mph and not Seeing or Believing anything was wrong and he just got a very Aggravating Speeding Ticket yet maybe the next motorist will not be So Lucky and they will take another student out under the same presumption, so, maybe just maybe Something Needs to Done so it Sadly Will Not Happen!

Kind Regards,
SD
If he would have posted his original and then left it at that I would totally concure. However he repeated tthat he was only going 1 mph over the speed limit when it was 7 mph and that he was driving safe because he was keeping up with traffic and other reasons to justify his action. I do not read his statements as looking for sympathy as much as for others to agree that he did not deserve a ticket and it was wrong for him to get one as well as the entire country is badly reflected upon due to him getting said ticket. He argued against those who said he got a ticket and just pay it and that sounded childess.

If he has a valid point he can argue it out in court, I did suggest photographing and measuring to see if he did have a point. I suspect that either the city bylaws or the signs are clear and he was in the wrong. And if the signs are poor that still does not support the title of the thread. The title sure makes it sound like he is the victim of his government

Old 03-20-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
perhaps the blue collar worker has an extremely poor driving record, was driving in an unsafe manner, and had a poor attitude towards the cop.

to write or not to write a ticket is in the LEOs discretion, for the most part. there are times when you bend the traffic laws too much and a ticket in warranted, other times, you havent bent them enough and the officer can write a warning instead.

really? ok here are a couple of examples of my point of view for you, first example, i was pulled over one time by virginia state police for speeding. i knoew my speedo was off, and i thought i had the proper correction. i hadnt taken into account however the new tires i had put on the car which were a much different size than before. i was nailed for 64 in a 55 zone. i was polite to the officer, and i sat there while he admonished me for speeding. in the end he let me go with a verbal warning. and it wasnt because i was a pretty horse lady either. i am in fact an overweight male.

another time i was pulled over by ohio state police for doing 75 in a 65 zone. i thought i was going to get a ticket for sure, along with a long question and answer session. i was driving a car registered in virginia, and my drivers license is in arizona. and by the way ohio is generally known as being very tough on traffic violators. again i was polite with the officer, and i left with a written warning.

then there was the time in wyoming where i was stopped by a park ranger who gave me a warning for 37 in a 25 zone. or the time i was stopped in grand canyon national park for failing to stop at a stop sign, i did but the officer thought i didnt and since there was real doubt in her mind, she let me go with a written warning. or the time many years ago just after i started driving, i got nailed for 55 in a 35, and again i got a warning.

again you might want to check the STATE LAW regarding school zones. they set the times which the schools zones are in effect, regardless of when school starts or ends.
You have very Definitely been Extremely Fortunate with the Speeding situations and Police Officers you have encountered yet could you possibly Shed some light on my detailed scenario, as I had and Thankfully still do have, a Stellar Driving record and I was polite as anyone could possibly be and was left with a Smirky Grin and Speeding ticket of doing 50mph in a 45mph zone, which I can Honestly tell you I was not doing?

You Fortunately got away with A Lot of tickets and Expenses in your driving time yet in regards to the aforementioned and my entire outlined scenario having a Stellar driving record and being polite as one could possibly be did not Buy me a so-called Warning, yet Being a Full Fledged Northern YANKEE certainly Bought me A Whole Lot More! :-(

Old 03-20-2015, 02:20 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Yes Absolutely yet here are my Questions..
The only question that matters is

3. Are there Crystal Clear signs indicating the operating hours of the School Speed Zone?

Like I said before, ignorance to the law is no excuse. The real question is, why hasnt OP provided the name of the school and the name of the road. Google maps would make this very easy to verify/disprove.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:24 PM

93 posts, read 139,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I'm sorry, but I've had enough. I was driving in a "school zone" at 4:28 PM. I was going the speed of traffic, I was going on a major street in my city, there was no "pedestrians" around, and it was, I repeat, 4:28 PM. School was long, long over. But, ok, if the speed limit was 20 and I was going 45, then I would understand getting a ticket, but no, I was going 27 miles per hour at 4:28 PM with no pedestrians on a major road in my city when school was almost 1:30 hours out of session and I get slapped with a speed limit for speeding in a "school zone". From research, apparently, DURING SCHOOL HOURS, going at 26 is a ticket. So, I was one mph above that an hour and a half after school ended, going the speed of traffic. This all makes sense. While my city has one of the highest murder rates in the country, with gangs roaming the city untouched, I am slapped with a ticket for this.

Good job, police department. You "got" me!
All of the signs that I see here in Suffolk County states: 25 MPH when yellow lights are flashing, usually till 4:00 PM, as soon as you pass the zone, the speed limit is back; I certainly would fight that ticket if it says 4:00 PM, double check the time, fight if you have to.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If he would have posted his original and then left it at that I would totally concure. However he repeated tthat he was only going 1 mph over the speed limit when it was 7 mph and that he was driving safe because he was keeping up with traffic and other reasons to justify his action. I do not read his statements as looking for sympathy as much as for others to agree that he did not deserve a ticket and it was wrong for him to get one as well as the entire country is badly reflected upon due to him getting said ticket. He argued against those who said he got a ticket and just pay it and that sounded childess.

If he has a valid point he can argue it out in court, I did suggest photographing and measuring to see if he did have a point. I suspect that either the city bylaws or the signs are clear and he was in the wrong. And if the signs are poor that still does not support the title of the thread. The title sure makes it sound like he is the victim of his government
I have only Defended the OP and his statements viewing it as someone just Venting from receiving a School Zone speeding ticket and I know that many angry employees have come into my office saying things that other managers would have just Terminated them for yet these individuals after realizing their built up anger and what they had said, turned out to be The BEST employees any manager could ever want so, I have learned to Always give individuals in an angered state some rope and that is Exactly how I view the Thread Title and the OP's venting!

As far as the GREAT advice you have given the OP, if in fact there is a Serious issue with the Unavailability of proper placed or indicating signs then it would not only Behoove him to not Heed to your gracious advice for his personal given violating, yet it should and Hopefully would greatly enlighten the Necessary party or parties that something Needs to be done and Now before a speeding ticket will be a Minimal scenario to what could possibly Be!

Personally, I Think All States should pass many Laws yet in regards to the School Speed Zone, I think All should have it in Effect until 6:00 or 7PM to Be Extra Safe that "Everyone" is Out of School!

Kind Regards,
SD

Old 03-20-2015, 02:43 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
I take for granted the OP knows where that particular speed zone is now and will watch his speed. It only takes once.

I live in a county in the DC area rife with cameras covering all aspects of driving; school zones are a particularly sore subject amongst those who drive around. The county has no set hours; school zone speed limits apply 24/7/365. Better yet...the cameras are usually on trailer mounted masts which are moved from one school to another at night so predicting where they are is like playing a shell game. We also have the odd stealth cameras hidden in structures resembling mailboxes or telephone/electrical boxes. This type of traffic policing is no longer for the sake of safety as it is revenue generation. The address on the envelope one returns payment of fine to is addressed to "Revenue Authority". The county has raked in millions in a few short years. They also hold court for 1000s of people who fight the citations.

I recently got a citation for failure to stop before making a R turn - the light is yellow in the picture. The Revenue Authority wants $75 for that. If I go to court to fight it I will most likely have to pay court costs; typically around $25. That's $50 in my pocket but I lose a day of my life.
I know where most of these cameras are and heed all laws concerning them, the yellow light irks me.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
You have very Definitely been Extremely Fortunate with the Speeding situations and Police Officers you have encountered yet could you possibly Shed some light on my detailed scenario, as I had and Thankfully still do have, a Stellar Driving record and I was polite as anyone could possibly be and was left with a Smirky Grin and Speeding ticket of doing 50mph in a 45mph zone, which I can Honestly tell you I was not doing?

You Fortunately got away with A Lot of tickets and Expenses in your driving time yet in regards to the aforementioned and my entire outlined scenario having a Stellar driving record and being polite as one could possibly be did not Buy me a so-called Warning, yet Being a Full Fledged Northern YANKEE certainly Bought me A Whole Lot More! :-(
since i was not there, and since i was not privy to the entire encounter, i only have your word to go on, i cant tell you why the officer gave you a ticket instead of a warning. but i have had encounters with LEOs where no matter what happened, i was getting a ticket regardless. i had one officer in my hometown tell me what i did wrong, and that he was giving me a ticket. turns out that officer would have given his own mother a ticket(in fact he probably did at one time).

in your case maybe the officer was having a bad day, maybe your NY attitude was slipping through, maybe you said something inadvertently that insulted the officer. there could be a number of reasons. when i get a warning, i am happy, but if i had gotten tickets instead, i would not have complained.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:58 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times
Venting, crying, complaining, or justifying - it doesn't matter. No matter what the OP puts in parenthesis to make the point that there were no pedestrians and he thought it was past school time - it doesn't matter. Based on local law and an automatic system placed to catch speeding motorists (which is exactly what it did) the municipality just made money. That is what many law enforcement agencies are doing in the modern budget-strapped culture and the court is highly unlikely to throw out the ticket just because little Johnny doesn't like it.

If the OP wants advice, it would be to slow down when near schools.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:12 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
I have only Defended the OP and his statements viewing it as someone just Venting from receiving a School Zone speeding ticket and I know that many angry employees have come into my office saying things that other managers would have just Terminated them for yet these individuals after realizing their built up anger and what they had said, turned out to be The BEST employees any manager could ever want so, I have learned to Always give individuals in an angered state some rope and that is Exactly how I view the Thread Title and the OP's venting!

As far as the GREAT advice you have given the OP, if in fact there is a Serious issue with the Unavailability of proper placed or indicating signs then it would not only Behoove him to not Heed to your gracious advice for his personal given violating, yet it should and Hopefully would greatly enlighten the Necessary party or parties that something Needs to be done and Now before a speeding ticket will be a Minimal scenario to what could possibly Be!

Personally, I Think All States should pass many Laws yet in regards to the School Speed Zone, I think All should have it in Effect until 6:00 or 7PM to Be Extra Safe that "Everyone" is Out of School!

Kind Regards,
SD
That is a snotty reply, thank to very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive