Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2015, 06:56 AM

933 posts, read 1,477,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
It's actually dangerous to not follow the speed of traffic or not go faster than it. Going slower than the rest of the field disrupts the flow. Tickets and arbitrary speed limits are not about safety but about revenue generation and the power of the police state. A lot of police abuse happens in traffic stops.

Haven't you noticed that the safest roads are the fastest. Look at the autoban which has a lot of cars on it but is extremely safe at speeds over 100 mph. Places that get a lot of accidents tend to have low speed limits.

Pulling someone over is far more dangerous than going over some arbitrary numbers. Cops have to disrupt traffic, startle you and other motorists, pull over to the side of the road and obstruct what is normally clear. So many accidents are caused by cops pulling people over.

Don't get me started about tickets because of not wearing a seatbelt. Who gets hurt if you don't wear a seatbelt: no one but yourself. Why is it a cops business and why do they put motorists at risks during stops for it. It's not reasonable.
Right. I mean, it was around 430, I was going well below the normal speed limit and was going the speed of traffic. That's why it was infuriating to see that some stupid speed trap cost me money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 07:34 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I don't remember even seeing the lights flashing, but at 428 they couldnt have been. I'll see the city in court, though, because I aint accepting this bogus ticket without a huge fight.
I went to traffic court twice. Once I had a decent judge. Once I had a corrupt judge. I hope you get a decent human being, because the second one made a mockery of the law and ruled whatever the hell he felt like.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:41 AM

671 posts, read 889,926 times
Why blame the police? Do you think police enjoy writing tickets? If you have ever been thru a speed trap town understand that it is the mayor,the political body that dictates where enforcement efforts go. The political body dictates to the police chief and those actions are passed forward,,they are only following orders. These ticket writing campaigns have origins external from the police,,some for safety improvements some for collecting money for the city coiffures..
It's hard to beat a ticket because every political body is on board,,including the judge.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:11 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I went to traffic court twice. Once I had a decent judge. Once I had a corrupt judge. I hope you get a decent human being, because the second one made a mockery of the law and ruled whatever the hell he felt like.

You had a corrupt judge once? Tell us more

Old 03-21-2015, 10:05 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
^

Guilty as charged.
Please pay the clerk on your way out of the courtroom, and don't forget to include the fee for Court Costs.
Next case!

PS--Good detective work, revelated!

Old 03-21-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
^

Guilty as charged.
Please pay the clerk on your way out of the courtroom, and don't forget to include the fee for Court Costs.
Next case!

PS--Good detective work, revelated!

Yup you can make a ticket you already didn't like worse by adding court cost to it

Old 03-21-2015, 10:30 AM

933 posts, read 1,477,447 times
If y'all are looking at the street view, you would see that just in front of that school sign was a speed limit 35 sign and the close proximity between the two signs would not allow me enough time to slow down....now THAT'S an argument...

Old 03-21-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
If y'all are looking at the street view, you would see that just in front of that school sign was a speed limit 35 sign and the close proximity between the two signs would not allow me enough time to slow down....now THAT'S an argument...

I backed up the street view and it not only tells you that the speed limit but also that it's photo enforced

Ps there is plenty of room to get from 35 to 20 mph.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:04 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Let's have some fun.

Honest testimony. Prosecutor, your cross examination:

Defendant?

OBJECTION!!!!

Defendant, I want to applaud you for admitting your guilt. You are free to pay your fine and learn from this mistake.

I direct the jury to Exhibit A: The scene of the crime.

As noted, you can see the sign indicates that the cutoff ends at 4:45pm. HOWEVER, despite the Defendant's assumption of when that cutoff was implemented, you can see in the upper left that Google took this image in May of last year - meaning it's been that way since BEFORE the Defendant got the ticket.

He just....didn't pay attention. Working theory: going too darn fast to read the print, and was justly punished.

Off to verdict.
If you look further back, there is indeed a speed limit of 35 with photo enforced as the OP stated. The camera is located before the school sign. He no longer has a case about the school hours (my initial suggestion) but I do question the placement of the school sign itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I backed up the street view and it not only tells you that the speed limit but also that it's photo enforced

Ps there is plenty of room to get from 35 to 20 mph.
Unless the lights were working, there is no way of knowing the school hours unless you are close up to the sign.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
If you look further back, there is indeed a speed limit of 35 with photo enforced as the OP stated. The camera is located before the school sign. He no longer has a case about the school hours (my initial suggestion based on information given in the OP) but I do question the placement of the school sign itself.

Unless the lights were working, there is no way to knowing the school hours unless you are close up to the sign.

The camera certainly isn't taking pictures of license plates passing by where it's sitting. I'd be very surprised if the photo even has the school zone sign in the frame.

Seems the timing is standard in NO

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS, LA— Today, the City of New Orleans issued a reminder that it is extending school zone times in effort to provide further protection for students traveling to or from school. The new times will be extended from 7:30-8:45am to 7-9am and from 2:30-3:45pm to 2:45-4:45pm. The City of New Orleans Department of Public Works is currently changing signs to reflect these new times. Traffic tickets and traffic-camera tickets will only be issued if the school zone signs and beacons have been updated to reflect the new times.
http://www.nola.gov/mayor/press-rele...ool-zone-time/

I also read they don't ticket until 26 mph or higher so they've built in a cushion for the "camera is off" defense as it would have to be off 30% or more

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 03-21-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive