Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:19 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,688,107 times

Advertisements

You were going 27 in a 20 zone? That is 35% over the speed limit, and just because some officers give leeway (0-6 mph's) over doesn't mean you shouldn't get a ticket. Are the limits slow? Of course they are, but that's the point. I'm sure you're a reasonable person that can accept that you weren't following the law? Perhaps you should try to follow the limits next time?

I would surmise that you (and a majority of Americans) are surprised by the ticket, you have been driving this way your entire life and never received any citations or wrong doings, although you were braking the law all this time. The first time you get caught most people have a similar reaction, thinking that your little 7 mph cushion was reasonable and law abiding, news flash, it isn't. Cops don't make laws they just enforce them. If you have an issue with the laws write your representative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:32 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,019,349 times
Look at it this way: how many times have you violated the speed limit without being caught?
Pay the speed "tax" and go on with your life.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:32 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,029,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I'm sorry, but I've had enough. I was driving in a "school zone" at 4:28 PM. I was going the speed of traffic, I was going on a major street in my city, there was no "pedestrians" around, and it was, I repeat, 4:28 PM. School was long, long over. But, ok, if the speed limit was 20 and I was going 45, then I would understand getting a ticket, but no, I was going 27 miles per hour at 4:28 PM with no pedestrians on a major road in my city when school was almost 1:30 hours out of session and I get slapped with a speed limit for speeding in a "school zone". From research, apparently, DURING SCHOOL HOURS, going at 26 is a ticket. So, I was one mph above that an hour and a half after school ended, going the speed of traffic. This all makes sense. While my city has one of the highest murder rates in the country, with gangs roaming the city untouched, I am slapped with a ticket for this.

Good job, police department. You "got" me!
What does your post have to do with America?

Your problem is a local one.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:34 PM

44,553 posts, read 61,277,369 times
Op a friend of mine had the same situation as you. He decided to go to court. The judge said "sir you broke the law, you come here with a frivolous complaint tying up court time, I'm imposing the fullest amount of fine that is allowed by law plus court costs. Good luck."

Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,343,881 times
Quote:
Just went and checked. They have a speed limit sign with 35 and then literally right after that they have a "school zone sign" till 4:45 (where you literally have to stare at the sign to see what it says!!! I'm sorry, but do high schools now have night sessions?? In my wildest dreams I never would have thought that going 27 at around 4:30 on a major road with no pedestrians around would give me at ticket. When I went out to check I noticed that the "speed of traffic" was around 30 mph right around that school zone, so if anything, I was going below the speed of traffic when I hit the school zone. 17 f'ing minutes later and I would have been clear. It's so ridiculous and quite frankly, criminal. And its not even like a police officer stopped me, it was a f'ing camera. City spends all that money on cameras while the real criminals run wild. Again, great job Mr. Mayor, you "got" me.
Based on this post, it seems like a really good idea. The outcome is that you now are aware of the rules which in itself is a greater benefit to you and the city. Glad to hear it had a good ending.

Also, while classroom education stops earlier, many students are still at school for hours after for sports, music programs, etc. So the likelihood of children being at the school at 4:30pm is high. Hope that helps.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:05 PM

573 posts, read 580,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Op a friend of mine had the same situation as you. He decided to go to court. The judge said "sir you broke the law, you come here with a frivolous complaint tying up court time, I'm imposing the fullest amount of fine that is allowed by law plus court costs. Good luck."
The judge is an idiot but a bigger problem is the system. These 'frivolous' tickets are a goddamn extra tax that serve no purpose other than to fill city coffers and buy bigger police cars for our militarized police force. They spend more time on traffic stops than real crimes because it is a guaranteed stream of income. And with most judges in their hip pockets, the people have NO chance in these scenarios. You don't even realize many of these systems are put in place not for safety, but for money. I lived in a rural area as a kid, and there was one speed trap in a town of about 600 people where as you descended a large hill going into the town, the speed quickly dropped. The 35 mph sign was placed literally 3 feet in front of a large willow tree that was nearly impossible to see. Everyday the fat cops sat in the same spots and most of the time I went through the town, they had some poor sap pulled over who likely didn't even see the sign. Many states and municipalities are given safe driving speeds by engineers with a suggestion to make the speed limit 10-15% below the maximum for safety. However most cities/states choose a much lower speed that is closer to 30% below maximum safety for the sole purpose of revenue. The below link has some information citing how speed limits are largely political and not for safety.

Speed limits in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,343,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
The judge is an idiot but a bigger problem is the system. These 'frivolous' tickets are a goddamn extra tax that serve no purpose other than to fill city coffers and buy bigger police cars for our militarized police force. They spend more time on traffic stops than real crimes because it is a guaranteed stream of income. And with most judges in their hip pockets, the people have NO chance in these scenarios. You don't even realize many of these systems are put in place not for safety, but for money. I lived in a rural area as a kid, and there was one speed trap in a town of about 600 people where as you descended a large hill going into the town, the speed quickly dropped. The 35 mph sign was placed literally 3 feet in front of a large willow tree that was nearly impossible to see. Everyday the fat cops sat in the same spots and most of the time I went through the town, they had some poor sap pulled over who likely didn't even see the sign.

Speed limits in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't know the judge, but based on the story, it looks like the judge did the right thing. This guy knew he broke the law and went on to waste taxpayer money. There's no reason why taxpayers should be held responsible for people wasting court time.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:21 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,269,957 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I've had enough. I was driving in a "school zone" at 4:28 PM. I was going the speed of traffic, I was going on a major street in my city, there was no "pedestrians" around, and it was, I repeat, 4:28 PM. School was long, long over. But, ok, if the speed limit was 20 and I was going 45, then I would understand getting a ticket, but no, I was going 27 miles per hour at 4:28 PM with no pedestrians on a major road in my city when school was almost 1:30 hours out of session and I get slapped with a speed limit for speeding in a "school zone". From research, apparently, DURING SCHOOL HOURS, going at 26 is a ticket. So, I was one mph above that an hour and a half after school ended, going the speed of traffic. This all makes sense. While my city has one of the highest murder rates in the country, with gangs roaming the city untouched, I am slapped with a ticket for this.

Good job, police department. You "got" me!

The first thing is that about 32,000 people get killed in traffic accidents every year and 15,000 are murdered.
So, yes, traffic laws are a big deal compared to murder.

Secondly, there is no good way to write laws for almost and nearly.
From your description, You were going 7 over the limit and it was 17 minutes before the zone time ended.
How much over the limit and how early would be OK by you? 20 over and 2 hours early sound good?
What would you say if the judge asks you that question?

You got caught for breaking the law and the penalty is trivial. What happened was your fault, so please stop blaming the police and America for your mistake.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:21 PM

11,150 posts, read 15,925,131 times
OP, I love how you've emphasized in 2 or 3 posts now that there were no pedestrians around when you were speeding through the school zone as if that should matter one iota. By that rationale, you should be excused for running a red light in the middle of the night if there is no cross traffic around.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:22 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,104,614 times
Why do speeders always whine when caught?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive