Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,214,787 times

Advertisements

I personally would like to see Cadillac stick with the Northstar series and keep the corporate transmissions. The LD8 and L37 had good runs, it is time for the next generation, V8 only, with forced induction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 09:14 AM

302 posts, read 1,155,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'd say the Allanté was strike one.

On the one hand you'd think a convertible Cadillac would make good sense; on the other hand I'm reasonably certain it would flop. And I can't really put my finger on why, other than past failures. But even if they made the best convertible on the market to make up for those past let-downs, I still have an unshakable hunch it would bomb.
Yes, thank you. My mistake, that's what I had intended, just wound up typing the wrong marque. (Worked at Buick then, embedded in my lexicon)

Old 03-22-2015, 11:40 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,305,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
To be fair, the Germans haven't quite figured it out either. Reliability stinks and has for some time (coming from a 5 series owner).
I find the German cars to be very reliable. Never had any issues that left me stranded or that I couldn't fix myself.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:42 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,305,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The XLR was a badge-engineered Corvette with little in the way of uniqueness that made it a worthy competitor to the SL, which is the standard-bearer in the class. Price-wise, the XLR was in Mercedes territory, but trying to compete with an SL with a higher trim level Corvette with new sheet metal was a futile effort that marketing could not have saved, since there is a small pool of Corvette buyers who would pay extra for the higher trim of the Cadillac. The SL appeals to many buyers, those who want a luxury convertible, and those who want a higher performance luxury convertible, one that is balanced between handling, speed, and executed with quality materials. For example, my mother has owned several SLs, but would not set foot in a Corvette because it does not appeal to her, and marketing an XLR to attract that buyer would not have been met with success.

If Cadillac gets a convertible, it should be positioned against the E-Class convertible, i.e., a four-seat that would be a variant of the CTS Coupe, as it might improve the looks of the coupe. However, GM should not cut corners with the vehicle, as it likes to do, or has done in the past and resort to a Cadillac convertible that is too similar to its Camaro cousin. That would be the same level of disaster as the XLR if the marque truly wishes to enter the luxury sphere. If they cut corners, make the convertible a four-seat Buick, and wait until a better Cadillac convertible is designed.
I think GM plans on making an ATS convertible. That would be a great niche for them. It would be available to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive