Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:46 AM

671 posts, read 900,188 times

Advertisements

I'll just use it as is. I haven't seen any puddles under my car (I'll keep an eye out).

I always have some extra oil on hand and check it pretty regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 12:31 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
What's worse is paying for service never performed.

A local Navy Hospital Doc took his VW camper in for service before their family camping trip and valve adjustment was called for... he put a tell on the valve cover and sure enough, he could prove the covers had not been removed...

This was at a VW Dealer... he threatened all kinds of action and in the end got a 100% refund including the two new tires that were on the bill...

I was very young at the time and it was a lesson learned.

Later I took my car to Sears for an alignment... had to catch the bus home and come back... the mechanic said they couldn't do it because I needed $550 worth of front end work on a car I paid $300 for...

Sears was amendment the car could not leave the shop without repairs... I had a second set of keys and went into the service bay and drove it home... as I was leaving my set of keys were returned...

Took it to my Grandfather's friend that had 40 years as a one man front end shop... he checked it all over and said an alignment was all I needed...

Drove that car 4 years and a lot of miles with no issue... last time I went to Sears.

For years I would take my cars to the my Grandfather's friend... he would show me in the pit what was needed and say I can do it myself and just come back for the alignment...

A good mechanic is worth their weight in gold...

Old 03-24-2015, 01:12 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

A good mechanic is worth their weight in gold...
Problem is they are as rare as the unicorn

Old 03-24-2015, 02:50 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I have been fortunate to be dealing with one in Londonderry, NH for 30+ years. He shows me what is wrong and tells me how much it would cost to fix it. If the car is worth repairing I tell him to fix it. This is a shop that also works on commercial trucks.

OP - Midas saw you as a sucker and was trying to rip you off. Do other people a favor and complain to the better business bureau or the chamber of commerce.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:58 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
This has worked for me - so, give it a try.
I was new to the Tampa area and didn't have any friends.
I had some car work that needed to be done, and, out of the blue, I went to a local auto parts store and talked to the manager. I asked him if he had any local 'shade tree' mechanics that he'd suggest for the work I needed. He gave me a number, and as I was headed out the door, in walks that mechanic. The manager introduced us with a hand shake (that was grease covered) - and I told Vic what I needed. He had the manager get the parts, I followed Vic to his house, he put my car up on the lift, and in 45 minutes I had what I had quoted to be a $250.00 job done for $85.00 plus parts...

When I lived in Tampa, I went to Vic for anything car related I needed. I told my friends about him and they told theirs... He's quite a sight to look at, but that dude can turn a wrench...

Give that a try - you may find your own Vic...

Old 03-24-2015, 05:42 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Many of these chains hire service writers, aka "salesmen" and grade them on the average ticket amount.

They must hit an average of $700 or they will be replaced. They especially prey on elderly women.

Caveat emptor.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:17 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Many of these chains hire service writers, aka "salesmen" and grade them on the average ticket amount.

They must hit an average of $700 or they will be replaced. They especially prey on elderly women.

Caveat emptor.
If this is true, and it is not hard to believe - this is why chain garages are no good.

I hate "service writers" anyway. I speak "mechanic" quite well and I want to talk to the guy or gal with a wrench in their hand myself, thanks anyway. On those rare occasions I don't DIY.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I am reminded of a shop foreman I worked for years ago:
"I will not spend $500 to fix a 50 cent oil leak!"
IMO, it was a good guide back then, and it still is. Just add zeros to the numbers if you wish, the thought is the same!
I will not spend $5000 to fix a $5.00 oil leak!

Old 03-25-2015, 09:07 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
It is Midas.

No puddles. I usually add a quart per 3,000 miles or so.

They said they were slow leaks.

I purchase 10W30 oil and thought that's what they used... but they said it is obsolete and use 5W30.
No puddles, but do you see any oil drips on the outside of the block (front/back/sides)? If not then it's probably just an oil consumption issue which is very common. Someone else mentioned 1 quart per 1000 miles. I think that's a bit extreme, but 1 quart every 3000 miles isn't anything to worry about on a 10 year old Chrysler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I am reminded of a shop foreman I worked for years ago:
"I will not spend $500 to fix a 50 cent oil leak!"
IMO, it was a good guide back then, and it still is. Just add zeros to the numbers if you wish, the thought is the same!
I will not spend $5000 to fix a $5.00 oil leak!
Good advice, especially on an older car that's not worth much. You just want to keep it running. A quart of oil doesn't cost much and only takes a minute to pour.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:07 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Hey my antique 1905 Oldsmobile uses a gallon of oil for every 10 gallons of gasoline... no oil pan and open crankcase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive