Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:53 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times

Advertisements

People do this for teens all the time.
Yes, the car is titled in your name and yes, you are still the owner, which of course is why your child falls under your insurance coverage.

But if this is not a teen/college student driver, I wouldn't do this for the already-mentioned reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 12:59 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yes absolutely. The car goes in their name for liability reasons insurance and registration. You simply get as the lienholder get paid first before they get any insurance money or if they don't pay you can repo or they have to pay you before getting a owner slip. You can also condition the borrower to carry full coverage insurance against total loss

You do not want the liability as a registered owner or co owner. You do not need to be a financing company to be a lienholder

Personally I wouldn't do it. If their credit is bad that they can't get a loan the conventional way you're most likely gonna have a issue getting paid. Let it be their problem.
Serious question; how does an individual get on the title as the lienholder?

Old 03-26-2015, 05:10 AM

114 posts, read 266,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
When the title is transferred to the new owner, there is a place on the back of the title for you to be listed as the lienholder. When the transaction takes place, make SURE that the info is entered.

Also, be aware (though there are some good responses here) that the specifics of title transfers and lien recordings are state-specific. For example, in about 40 states, the title will go to the lienholder. In most of the rest, the title goes to the owner--even if there is a lien on the vehicle (the lien is physically recorded on the title). (Then, there's a couple of oddball states with some hybridization of the two). Not sure why any state would do it that way...

If it were me, I'd be a lienholder before simply putting my name on the ownership/registration and letting another drive. Depending on the insurance laws on the books in your state, you could be opening yourself up for liability, suspension of your license, additional fees, etc...if you're counting on the other person to pay the insurance bill. Not to mention more $$ on your part.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:15 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
My son sold a Jeep to a friend who didn't have enough money to pay cash, and didn't want to get a loan. My son agreed to accept payments on the Jeep, and listed himself on the title as a lien holder. It was a simple matter of entering his name and address in the spaces provided on the back of the title. No other paperwork was required. Apparently the state DMV does not care what agreements, verbal or written, have been made between the parties. All they are interested in is registering the lien, and it is up to the lien holder to decide when to release the lien, using the form provided by the DMV.
I just checked one of my Montana titles, and there are TWO spaces on the back to register a "security interest" (officialese for "lien")!

Old 03-26-2015, 08:29 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
Yes

Old 03-26-2015, 09:11 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You either get the registered owner to give you power of attorney to register the vehicle for him and when you do there is a section for lienholder you fill out on the registration paperwork. Or you both go to DMV/AAA and you simply add yourself as thenlienholder and give the needed info on the registration forms.
It's really pretty simple.
As lienholders you have specific rights that you can enforce for that vehicle.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 03-26-2015 at 09:21 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 09:58 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
No other paperwork was required. Apparently the state DMV does not care what agreements, verbal or written, have been made between the parties.
I don't know the OP's relationship with the individual, but if there is a risk that they would try to sell it (which he alluded to) then I would certainly have a signed contract on public record stating the terms of the lien. Otherwise, you have opened yourself up to headaches. The registered owner could contest that the lien has been satisfied, the lienholder would contest otherwise. Registered owner may end up with the vehicle due to lack of a contract.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:39 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
It is true that having everything clear and in writing is an excellent idea, but it is also true that the State DMV doesn't really care.
It is also true that having the contract recorded at the County Courthouse (Clerk and Recorder's Office) is a good idea, but it isn't legally required. Where else could the contract be made part of the "public record"?

Old 03-26-2015, 11:24 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
County Courthouse (Clerk and Recorder's Office) is a good idea, but it isn't legally required. Where else could the contract be made part of the "public record"?
Nowhere I am aware of...

Considering the OP has a level of doubt great enough to cause him to pursue placing security interest on the vehicle; without subsequent efforts to legally secure the lien, I don't see a point in doing it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive