Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 03:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times

Advertisements

I do not have OEM tires on my cars, so I tell them not to touch the tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 04:45 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I do not have OEM tires on my cars, so I tell them not to touch the tires.

So are yours a different size/aspect ratio?

I've always driven with OEM size, so I'm not sure where to suggest setting pressure on non-OEM. Although if I did choose to plus- or minus-size my wheels, I'd still go by the mfg. B-pillar recommendations for starters, then adjust up or down for a few days at a time, until I found a good compromise.

The biggest mistake most folks make with aftermarket sizes is to automatically inflate them to the max cold pressure on their new tires. Doing that either with OEM size or aftermarket size will result in the same thing: a four to six-thousand pound basketball with leather, blue tooth, and navigation.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
So are yours a different size/aspect ratio?

I've always driven with OEM size, so I'm not sure where to suggest setting pressure on non-OEM. Although if I did choose to plus- or minus-size my wheels, I'd still go by the mfg. B-pillar recommendations for starters, then adjust up or down for a few days at a time, until I found a good compromise.

The biggest mistake most folks make with aftermarket sizes is to automatically inflate them to the max cold pressure on their new tires. Doing that either with OEM size or aftermarket size will result in the same thing: a four to six-thousand pound basketball with leather, blue tooth, and navigation.
Same size, not OEM specs. The Pillar is for OEM specs only; tires not OEM spec may or may not happen to fall within the OEM guidelines. Not only size is a factor, but design, load rating, and speed rating.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Same size, not OEM specs. The Pillar is for OEM specs only; tires not OEM spec may or may not happen to fall within the OEM guidelines. Not only size is a factor, but design, load rating, and speed rating.
Do you recall the full size and speed ratings of your OEMs vs your current tires?

Old 07-14-2018, 11:59 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
An interesting subject. I just bought a set of Continentals. The max pressure for the tire is 51 lbs. I asked the tire dealership what air pressure they were using. They said what was on the door, which was 33 front, 34 rear. I requested they put in 36 lbs all around. They did do that.

The maximum pressure for passenger tires seem to vary between 44 and 51 lbs. I think the ones that are 51 you could put in more air than recommended in the door label if you wanted. I tend to stay in the 34-37 range depending upon the car. 40 lbs in in the back of the truck if it's loaded.

42 lbs cold for a 44 psi tire does seem too high. I'm guessing they want you to experience a little better handling response and slightly better gas mileage.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
An interesting subject. I just bought a set of Continentals. The max pressure for the tire is 51 lbs. I asked the tire dealership what air pressure they were using. They said what was on the door, which was 33 front, 34 rear. I requested they put in 36 lbs all around. They did do that.

The maximum pressure for passenger tires seem to vary between 44 and 51 lbs. I think the ones that are 51 you could put in more air than recommended in the door label if you wanted. I tend to stay in the 34-37 range depending upon the car. 40 lbs in in the back of the truck if it's loaded.

42 lbs cold for a 44 psi tire does seem too high. I'm guessing they want you to experience a little better handling response and slightly better gas mileage.
Over 40psi in a 44 cold max tire would send me right the F- off the road! I am to driving what David Lee Roth is to rock 'n roll. Not so much with speeding, just a twitchy driver who is never in the middle of their lane. Stems from my birth!

Old 07-15-2018, 06:59 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
That's like asking if any mechanics torque your stuff to proper spec. Like all my co-workers they just love to use their impact wrench and way over-torque everything. Makes them feel like more of a man. There's a reason I prefer to do a lot of my own basic maintenance myself... attention to detail.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
That's like asking if any mechanics torque your stuff to proper spec. Like all my co-workers they just love to use their impact wrench and way over-torque everything. Makes them feel like more of a man. There's a reason I prefer to do a lot of my own basic maintenance myself... attention to detail.
In some gagares mechanics pay rent to the main owner, like chair fees at a barber's. Plus, mechanics might be paid per car they work on, or by the hour, so they are pressed to get as many customer cars through their bay, per day, as possible, just to break even and then start making a living.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:56 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
In some gagares mechanics pay rent to the main owner, like chair fees at a barber's. Plus, mechanics might be paid per car they work on, or by the hour, so they are pressed to get as many customer cars through their bay, per day, as possible, just to break even and then start making a living.
Every mechanic I know uses torque wrenches when working on main engine components and they use a torque stick when putting tires back on.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Same size, not OEM specs. The Pillar is for OEM specs
only; tires not OEM spec may or may not happen to fall
within the OEM guidelines. Not only size is a factor, but
design, load rating, and speed rating.
Same size? No problem! You can start with those Tire Placard cold pressures as a baseline, then adust up(or down) after some road time feeling them out.

For my 2010 Honda Accord, the B-pillar specifies '93V' for load & speed. A rare find since 2015, and the few 93V tires in that Accord's size don't rate so stellar, except in dry conditions.

I have new Pirelli Cinturatos on the car now, 94V: slightly firmer, taut compliance, so keeping them at or just above the cold reccommended 32psi seems satisfactory. And good ratings, as Touring All-Seasons, in light snow and ice conditions.

Never in 30+ years of driving have I had issues with running OEM cold pressures in tires of OEM size but different load/speed designations. But that's just me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive