Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 10:27 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Or on a train, or in a plane or on a boat. I swear, some people are so irrational in their hatred of cellphones that they completely ignore reality.

I use my cell for streaming Pandora in the car, or navigation. Kind a needs to be able to work while moving.
Yeah, it's more rational to believe it's worth killing someone for over an inane text, eh?

BTW, I don't hate cell phones, I don't like people who are so self-important they think their lives should be allowed to impact others' lives with no consequences. When a loved one dies because of some distracted driver you may well change your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 10:33 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
How about a car that won't let you turn the steering wheel unless you turn on your turn signals
Hopefully little Jenny running across the road after her ball will be able to run a little bit faster when drivers forget to turn their blinkers on for emergency maneuvering.

It's a freaking weird world we live in. Go to one dealer and get a car that won't let you go over the speed limit, go to another and get a 700+ HP 200 MPH top-speed Hellcat that does 0-60 in 3 seconds.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:59 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
This is actually the real reason for the push for self driving cars. It makes it easier to enforce traffic laws and track peoples movements for advertising (and law enforcement) purposes. You thought speed cameras were bad?

This is why I don't fully understand the pro self driving car people. Google isn't making them to reduce accidents, they are trying to get them to market so all your driving habits are in their database, which they can then re-sell to advertisers and law enforcement.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:10 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,471,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Hopefully little Jenny running across the road after her ball will be able to run a little bit faster when drivers forget to turn their blinkers on for emergency maneuvering.

It's a freaking weird world we live in. Go to one dealer and get a car that won't let you go over the speed limit, go to another and get a 700+ HP 200 MPH top-speed Hellcat that does 0-60 in 3 seconds.

or go to the same dealer and get a 662 HP 200 MPH GT500 (well a 2014 model at least)

Old 03-27-2015, 04:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
This is actually the real reason for the push for self driving cars. It makes it easier to enforce traffic laws and track peoples movements for advertising (and law enforcement) purposes. You thought speed cameras were bad?

This is why I don't fully understand the pro self driving car people. Google isn't making them to reduce accidents, they are trying to get them to market so all your driving habits are in their database, which they can then re-sell to advertisers and law enforcement.
So don't buy a Google car. They're not the only ones working on self-driving cars.

Google can already track the movements of their Android users. I don't care if they use that information to try to market stuff to me. If I'm going to be bombarded by marketing one way or the other, it might as well be semi-relevant. Plus I use AdBlock on my devices so I don't see most of the ads anyway. And what evidence do you have that they sell or otherwise provide your information to law enforcement without a subpoena or court order?

If the push for self-driving cars were being made by law enforcement or the insurance industry, I'd understand why you'd think it's being pushed for the reasons stated. But it's primarily the car companies and automotive suppliers that are pushing the technology, as a convenience and safety feature.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:00 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Plus I use AdBlock on my devices so I don't see most of the ads anyway.
Adblock doesn't work on ads on Android as far as I see.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:22 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You can wait 'til you're stopped, if it's not important enough to pull over and stop for it's really not all that important, is it?
Yeah, thats reasonable

Let's block all cell phone communications while in a moving vehicle be it on a bus, car, or train. And forget about GPS also.

Talk about taking out the baby with the bath water

Old 03-27-2015, 08:50 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
No secret at all, traffic fines are much needed source of revenue for any city, and? If it should come to that, every car adopts this technology, the police will then have to resort to being nit picky!

My roommate, got a ticket because the two front wheels of his car were a foot over the white line at an intersection. Just happened to run into a cop, who perhaps, hadn't get his quota of tickets that day!

Old 03-27-2015, 10:05 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
:d
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkered24 View Post
local governments will lobby to kill this tech for fear it will destroy their revenue source! No more speeding ticket money!!

Although i wonder if the tech really needs a camera to read road signs. My gps is already programmed with speed limits. The car could know the speed limit through it's own gps.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I am all for this in residential areas. People shouldn't be speeding in towns and housing plans, not to mention cities. On the highway, I think it is okay to go a little over, but the limits are set pretty high these days considering the lousy vehicles Americans love to drive. SUVs and empty pickups for everyone seems to be the most popular. You can't really drive them fast safely, so maybe for those outdated boxes, they shouldn't be able to go over the limit. If you are driving a real car like a Porsche or an Audi, then you can drive a little faster. That would make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive