Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:10 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Your thread title seems pretty confident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
One option if you are big into fidshing is findiung a cheap 2nd Gen ford Explorer or Jeep Cherokee XJ to use as your fishing Rig.

Heck even a 1987-1996 F150 with the 300Ci I-6 would work perfectly and then you can make a case to the wife that you need a aluminum fishing boat with a 15HP-25HP outboard to tow behind it

Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Pretty simple. Just keep a quality leak free cooler with a working latch in the trunk. And remember to close the drain. Also keep a change of clothes and shoes along with an old duffle and/or some plastic bags to put your fishy/bloody/smelly/funky clothes and shoes in when you leave to go home. And don't leave bait in the car as well. Do these and you won't have a problem.

Just because your fishing doesn't automatically mean everything you come in contact with will smell of fish. I fish for a living and some days I return to the dock quite ripe and covered with blood and slime. That is usually from tossing a catch of tunas on the dock at the end of the day or hugging a marlin for a picture before release if a client insists. There are also the non fishing days in which I prep/rig baits for several hours so I just wash my hands really good afterwards and change shirts. So far my vehicles don't have any permanent smells. If hitting the bar/restaurant right afterwards I always change into clothes I leave in the truck or car. When taking home any fish it is usually just put in a plastic bag which I toss in a bucket on the floor but I don't live far from the marina. That's not any different then buying a few fillets from the market.

The only times I have had lingering temporary smells were during busy times when I'm tired and running on adrenalin and not brains so I forget to remove the clothes from the truck when I get home and they keep piling up. Air fresheners and a couple hours airing out with the windows down usually take care of that pretty quickly though.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:31 AM

42 posts, read 81,327 times
I fish out of a car too, and as long as I'm driving less than and hour or two a 5 gallon bucket w/ or w/o a lid has worked just fine.

I assume a cooler would be the best option for longer trips.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:50 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
I do a lot of fishing, although not as much as I would like. It depends on what/where you're fishing. If fishing for bigger game, like marlinfishr, you might have a few more precautions than fishing for panfish, trout or catfish. Fish that is FRESHLY CAUGHT shouldn't have much of an odor. If you keep them on ice, or in a livewell, or on a stringer while fishing, you should be fine. I put mine in a bucket or plastic bag if I'm not travelling far, take them out of the car when I get back, and need no further help. If i am travelling far, a cooler works just fine.

As was mentioned upthread, the bait is what gets you, because you forget and it dies and rots. Even trace amounts of catfish bait or Berkely Gulp can stink up a car.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:45 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Pretty simple. Just keep a quality leak free cooler with a working latch in the trunk. And remember to close the drain. Also keep a change of clothes and shoes along with an old duffle and/or some plastic bags to put your fishy/bloody/smelly/funky clothes and shoes in when you leave to go home. And don't leave bait in the car as well. Do these and you won't have a problem.

Just because your fishing doesn't automatically mean everything you come in contact with will smell of fish. I fish for a living and some days I return to the dock quite ripe and covered with blood and slime. That is usually from tossing a catch of tunas on the dock at the end of the day or hugging a marlin for a picture before release if a client insists. There are also the non fishing days in which I prep/rig baits for several hours so I just wash my hands really good afterwards and change shirts. So far my vehicles don't have any permanent smells. If hitting the bar/restaurant right afterwards I always change into clothes I leave in the truck or car. When taking home any fish it is usually just put in a plastic bag which I toss in a bucket on the floor but I don't live far from the marina. That's not any different then buying a few fillets from the market.

The only times I have had lingering temporary smells were during busy times when I'm tired and running on adrenalin and not brains so I forget to remove the clothes from the truck when I get home and they keep piling up. Air fresheners and a couple hours airing out with the windows down usually take care of that pretty quickly though.
Catch and release Cuda all day Slimy, snot-sticks.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:14 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Sushi is cheap at the bait shop.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:42 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
don't catch anything

Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
DO NOT allow any of the "slime" to get on your carpet, etc. It was nearly 50 years ago that I tossed a salmon onto the rubber floor mat in my pickup for the short trip home. When I got home late in the evening I took the fish out and cleaned it, filleted it and went to bed. A day or two later I got back into the truck. WOWZERS!!! I got a garden hose and bottle of dish soap and washed the matt and it was fine, but I was sure glad I didn't have carpet in that truck!

Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
DO NOT allow any of the "slime" to get on your carpet, etc. It was nearly 50 years ago that I tossed a salmon onto the rubber floor mat in my pickup for the short trip home. When I got home late in the evening I took the fish out and cleaned it, filleted it and went to bed. A day or two later I got back into the truck. WOWZERS!!! I got a garden hose and bottle of dish soap and washed the matt and it was fine, but I was sure glad I didn't have carpet in that truck!
That makes me remember my first trip tuna fishing years ago. We got back to the dock and stacked the tuna on the tailgate of my brothers old Cherokee to go to the cleaning table a couple hundred yards away. all was good and fine until he stopped and about a dozen tuna slid into the back of the truck. Good thing it had rubber mats instead of carpeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive