Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:49 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I've bought several cars online via negotiating via email. You need to reach the internet sales manager to actually get anywhere. All the other sales folks simply tell you to come in and talk to them at the dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7624 View Post
Actually that is who I am dealing with.
I recently bought a new vehicle. Since it had been over nine years since my last purchase, I decided to go the internet route this time, and request email price quotes from all dealers of that make in my region. In most cases, all I got was an invitation to come in and talk to them (even the out-of-town dealers), and they would see what they could do, and that's if they responded at all. I was only able to get two email price quotes. I ended up going the Truecar route. Even dealers who had non-negotiable discount pricing, didn't always post the discounted pricing online.

It seems to me that other than being able too view inventory online, the buying process has changed very little in the last 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 08:18 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Dealerships have long been reluctant to negotiate online (or in the past over the phone) but I think that is changing somewhat.

I bought my wife's car over the internet/phone.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:31 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,635,959 times
If there is a CarMax anywhere near you which sells new cars, you might want to give them a try. One location in Atlanta used to sell new Jeep products, and we had a very good buying experience there. My husband is a serious car shopper, and he was totally happy with the price and terms.

This is also a great place to get a good price on selling an old car instead of trading it.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:36 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,784,742 times
It doesn't work, they would rather get you in the door and apply the pressure into buying something else !!!

Old 03-28-2015, 08:45 AM

70 posts, read 124,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
If there is a CarMax anywhere near you which sells new cars, you might want to give them a try. One location in Atlanta used to sell new Jeep products, and we had a very good buying experience there. My husband is a serious car shopper, and he was totally happy with the price and terms.

This is also a great place to get a good price on selling an old car instead of trading it.
I have looked at Car Max but have noticed that their prices are sky high for both new and used vehicles. Is there some kind of an advantage buying through them vs. a regular dealer that makes up for the increase in price?

Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 AM

70 posts, read 124,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
It doesn't work, they would rather get you in the door and apply the pressure into buying something else !!!

That seems to be what they are doing. I was asked in an email if I could come in today. So we're back to square one, I didn't respond to the email referring to in the OP, and they sent a follow up email asking if "my needs were met" lol.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:51 AM

922 posts, read 1,148,242 times
I used to like Carwoo cause it allowed you to negotiate directly with dealers online. But it went out of business thanks to Truecar.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:34 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,100 times
On our last purchase I used Truecar to get an idea of what the pricing discounts were, since we were buying a new vehicle that was in high demand. No dealer in Houston had the exact vehicle my daughter wanted, but a couple of them offered to locate one, but since we were buying at the July 4th weekend, they would not be able to get one until the next week, they said.

So I did my own search and found one in San Antonio. I called and got an internet manager, told him I had a Truecar price, and asked what could he do to make me buy from him instead of local. His price beat the Truecar price so I told him we would be there the next day to pick it up. Got about 9% off sticker, which was pretty good with no rebates or incentives or any special discounts involved. Probably could have saved a few hundred more, but I appreciated his great price up front and no hassles on the sale. Now financing was a different story!

Old 03-28-2015, 09:46 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,728,760 times
We all live in a free market economy right? OF COURSE I NEGOTIATE THE PRICE. And I'm not afraid to walk right out the door either, there are too many sellers to go to.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Usually prices online are the prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive