Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 06:07 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
It's garbage.

I thought it'd be a good substitute for a SUV, but it's not. Kid junk spills out the doors when I open them due to the flat floor, the trunk is unusable for storage due to no cover, and it's just a big lumbering beast that I can't park easily because if I ever so slightly bump the parking stops the transmission freaks out when I back out of the spot.

And people are just jerks to you on the road, it's appalling how much I get tailgated and cut off now, driving the exact same way I did in my compact car just a month ago.

Luckily I owe less than it's worth, but will be losing about $4k on the mistake (funny enough that's what I'd also lose a year from now if I held onto it, very steep loss off the lot).

Why do people like these things, they are the worst.

Good thing Toyota has a wide selection to choose from for trade in (although I am thinking of hitting up Carmax to take the sting of being an idiot out a bit).
OP, those are sure some first world problems you have going for you.

It honestly just sounds like your having buyers remorse. None of these problems honestly sound all that bad and should be easily worked around. Taking a four grand bath is a rather expensive "work around" however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 06:40 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Well I have a Renault Kangoo which is sort of like a mini van and I don´t care what anyone thinks. I race a small sailboat, windsurf and climb. It carries me and all my stuff, pulls my boat, I can take the back seat out and sleep in it. It has a small diesel and is super cheap to run, easy to work on and though not fast I can cruise 160kmh on the Autobahn if I want.

I will drive to the Netherlands thursday to race my boat Easter weekend and hang out for a couple of days after. I will camp out of it and bring a bike, camping gear, and windsurf stuff too. I get under 6 liters per 100km even with the trailer and all the stuff (only drive like 110kmh with trailer).

Old 03-30-2015, 07:52 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
I had no problems treating my parents minivan like a race car when I was 17. You just need to gain some weight on your foot. I suspect the pedal is harder to press on your new minivan than it was on your compact car, so you're not driving/accelerating fast enough. Also parking is not a problem if you learn to back park it - that's how most pickup truck drivers park their cars in mall parking spots because the turning radius going forward is horrible. For cabin organization, there should be enough space in the floor for a small storage tote as well as a behind-the-seat hanging organizer. For the trunk, you can buy a factory cargo net and also get several storage totes to put things in so they don't slide around.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:39 AM

922 posts, read 1,149,129 times
A relative had a baby and can't wait to buy a minivan.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:22 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
A standard-sized SUV will not hold as much cargo as a minivan. I can take the seats out of my folks' old Dodge Grand Caravan and lay 4'×8' sheets of plywood down flat on the floor and still close the lift gate. That's better than most pickup trucks, and certainly better than your average SUV or crossover. The third-row seats in many SUVs absolutely suck for anyone having the misfortune to have to sit in them; they definitely seem like an afterthought. Minivans offer much easier access, and usually more leg-room for the folks in the third row.

If you're having trouble in parking lots, learn to reverse it into the spaces. Long vehicles are easier to reverse into parking spots. It also puts you in a much better position for leaving the space, since as you know, in the driver's seat of a van, you have a heck of a lot more van behind you than you have in front of you.
Some very valid points. If you want a comfy third row AND cargo space, you need a full-sizer. There is really no gas millage difference and the RWD setup is a lot easier to perform tight/tricky maneuvers with. FWD based vehicles are harder to drive/handle.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:34 PM

465 posts, read 613,721 times
I could not wait to switch to a minivan. I love it. It fits our family well. We travel extensively and average 20k miles a year. My kids are elementary school age. I use to drive a smaller SUV (Buick rendevous), a ford f150, and a Nissan Altima. The third row seat in the Buick was lower than the middle seats making it very awkard to sit. When those seats were up you had a very narrow trunk. The Ford was good but no trunk. The Altima made it feel like the kids were far too close and just not enough leg room.

I have NEVER experienced anyone treating me differently on the roads. It parks just like a four door (Altima). Very easy. The trunk space holds a ton, and when you put the third row down you can transport some big items.

I love that I no longer have to worry about the kids opening doors hitting other parked cars. I love the entertainment system and that the kids can literally kick up the foot rests and sleep on long road trips.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:44 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Some very valid points. If you want a comfy third row AND cargo space, you need a full-sizer. There is really no gas millage difference and the RWD setup is a lot easier to perform tight/tricky maneuvers with. FWD based vehicles are harder to drive/handle.
A full-sized SUV will cost double what a minivan will. MSRP for a 2015 Grand Caravan starts at $21,395. The more upscale Chrysler Town & Country starts at $29,995. A Chevy Tahoe of the same year starts at $46,300, and the longer Suburban starts at $49,000.

I don't see what difference RWD would make over FWD in a parking lot; the same two wheels are responsible for steering in either setup.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:42 PM

289 posts, read 608,308 times
Minivans are great at what they are meant to do (1) Carry 7 or 8 people in comfort, and (2) Carry Goods (e.g. you can put a full 4X8 sheet in Sienna/Odyssey). SUVs are just for image/perception. Most modern SUVs are not that sporty (no many are body on frame kind, can no do any significant off-road travel) and utility is limited- even the biggest ones barely match minivan's cargo/people carrying capacity.

OP seems to be having buyer's remorse. If he can afford it, he should sell the minivan and buy a SUV. Life is too short and precious to live with remorse.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:48 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I don't see what difference RWD would make over FWD in a parking lot; the same two wheels are responsible for steering in either setup.
Generally, rwd based vehicles have tighter turning radii because they don't have as many powertrain components sandwiched between the two front wheels, so they can turn at greater angles.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:50 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NJseasons View Post
SUVs are just for image/perception.
Careful, I think your bias is showing!

SUVs have many great uses and are a great balance of size and capability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive