Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:00 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times

Advertisements

Unlike the years of yore, modern automatic transmission reduces the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, as well as increases the MPG, in the same car. Moreover, sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic for an hour in a manual car can be a pure torture to your leg. Not to mention getting yelled at by a spouse who cannot (and won't or can't learn how to) drive a stick.

Having said that, I don't think the paddle shifters can replace the fun experience of driving a stick. The level of engagement and involvement in the driving experience in a car with the idiot box cannot possibly compare to those of a stick. You rarely see a distracted driver in a manual car. Why? Because you constantly have to keep track of so many different details involved in driving a stick, Moreover, putting on the makeup, eating a Big Mac, texting, etc. is exponentially more difficult with one hand (well, manual drivers wait until they are cruising on highway speeds. lol).

Just about every person I know with paddle shifters just keep their car in "D" mode all the time. Paddles are fun while test driving, but most people don't remember or bother to shift to "S" and then paddle up or down.

Long live 6MT!

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 10:11 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Long live 6MT!

What about 3, 4, 5-spds and 7-spds?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:11 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,010 times
It depends on the car. Most of the cars with paddle shifters are mated to an electronically selected automatic transmission. That's not the same at all. The "gear" you've selected is basically the maximum gear the vehicle can be in. It's not different than the old style automatic shifters that had all of the numbers on the column below D. Newer transmission like the DSGs actually shift a gear instead of changing the max gear when you use the paddles. Those are really fun to drive IMHO. Real 3-pedal manuals today are less efficient in pretty much every way compared to an automatic or DSG but I still prefer manuals.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:19 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
It depends on the car. Most of the cars with paddle shifters are mated to an electronically selected automatic transmission. That's not the same at all. The "gear" you've selected is basically the maximum gear the vehicle can be in. It's not different than the old style automatic shifters that had all of the numbers on the column below D. Newer transmission like the DSGs actually shift a gear instead of changing the max gear when you use the paddles. Those are really fun to drive IMHO. Real 3-pedal manuals today are less efficient in pretty much every way compared to an automatic or DSG but I still prefer manuals.
Yep, paddle shifters on my Lexus is basically a gear limiter. So if you are in 4th gear manual "mode" it will still shift normally from 1-2-3 but max out at 4th gear. Pretty useless

Old 04-01-2015, 11:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Keep in mind that Ferrari doesn't sell any cars today with a manual transmission. From what I read, Porsche hardly sells any cars today with manuals although they still offer them.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:55 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
It still doesn't replicate the feel of a true manual. You can have high tech autos that shift in 0.000001 second and get 55 MPG....there's still nothing like popping the clutch in, banging a shifter down to 2nd and letting the clutch up and getting the rear tires loose!

Old 04-01-2015, 02:54 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Keep in mind that Ferrari doesn't sell any cars today with a manual transmission.
Keep in mind that you're wrong.

As I've already written earlier on this thread, Ferrari's F1 transmission is a true manual transmission with a clutch. It just happens to shift gears using paddles instead of a stick.

You're making the same mistake that most everyone else on this thread has been making: You're equating a manual transmission that uses paddles with cars that have an automatic transmission, but also allow quasi-manual shifting via paddles.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:55 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It still doesn't replicate the feel of a true manual. You can have high tech autos that shift in 0.000001 second and get 55 MPG....there's still nothing like popping the clutch in, banging a shifter down to 2nd and letting the clutch up and getting the rear tires loose!
And my guess is that you've never driven a car with an F1 transmission.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:00 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And my guess is that you've never driven a car with an F1 transmission.
No, but nothing beats the feeling of a stick shift Geo Metro

Old 04-01-2015, 04:02 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
No, but nothing beats the feeling of a stick shift Geo Metro
My grandparents bought that car. My dad constantly berated it. I was fortunately too young to drive. They got rid of it a year or two before I was 15. Then the only clutch in the family was my dad's 05 Acura TL. Not a bad car to learn on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive