Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:22 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

Hard to stop a drunk that wants to drive. I have seen NUMEROUS arrest reports concerning individuals on their 10th+ DUI charge in my area (Bedford county, TN). I think with the third conviction it is time for a felony prison stay with increasing time for each new DUI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 04:31 PM

518 posts, read 871,604 times
Someone who gets 10 DUI's? Stiff punsihment for even SITTING in the drivers seat of a vehicle. After the first couple DUI's if the don't learn your lesson you deserve whatever punishment you get.

Last edited by Bruce Jackpot; 04-01-2015 at 04:41 PM..

Old 04-01-2015, 05:52 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
yes, about thirty years in jail, take their car, their house, their mama house. make it so tough they won't even think about it

Old 04-01-2015, 07:06 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
I know someone with interlock for 3 years after her 3rd dwi. The cost is around $300 or so to put it in and $100 per month. It has a camera. I've had to drive it and makes you blow 5 mins after you start it. You have to blow a ton of air to get it to function, but a failure after you've started moving will not disable the vehicle. Doing any mechanical work to vehicle with one is the biggest pain in the a**! If I owned a shop, I wouldn't touch someones car if they have interlock. I wouldn't be surprised if in future, all cars had them built in, it would prevent all dwi's.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I know someone with interlock for 3 years after her 3rd dwi. The cost is around $300 or so to put it in and $100 per month. It has a camera. I've had to drive it and makes you blow 5 mins after you start it. You have to blow a ton of air to get it to function, but a failure after you've started moving will not disable the vehicle. Doing any mechanical work to vehicle with one is the biggest pain in the a**! If I owned a shop, I wouldn't touch someones car if they have interlock. I wouldn't be surprised if in future, all cars had them built in, it would prevent all dwi's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
In the middle of the highway because the drunk guy was too stupid to pull over? This sounds dangerous in itself.
Seems that the interlock could put you in violation of several states' distracted driving laws if you're required to blow into it 5 minutes after starting the car.

I'll bet the manufacturers of the interlocks would love for it to be standard equipment on a new car. They're probably pushing for that now.

But.. You don't do something that affects 100% of people to prevent something that 1% does.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:04 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Instead of using interlocks DUI offenders should just have their cars seized under asset forfeiture laws.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
In the Netherlands, anyone caught driving with more than 1.3 thousandth alcohol in their bloodstream is subject to having a circuit breaker installed in their vehicle at their own expense which is controlled by an apparatus similar to a breathalyser...
I really hope that's a typo because that translates into a BAC of .0013. Near as makes no difference, that's the same as having no alcohol in your system at all. I doubt that's even beyond the margin of error for BAC testing methods considered accurate enough to be admissible in a court of law.

Last edited by Drover; 04-01-2015 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 04-01-2015, 09:05 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Instead of using interlocks DUI offenders should just have their cars seized under asset forfeiture laws.
Here in MN, you lose your vehicle on the 3rd. Person I spoke about lost her crappy car. Your lawyer can save your car (a lawyer is needed for 3rd) but fees for a lawyer to get your car back were around $6k, her car wasn't worth it. With her interlock she can only drive to and from work, nothing more.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:49 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
And if it's not their car? I mean, there isn't a DUI registry, so.. Say you didn't know that your son had gotten 2 previous DUI convictions and lent him your car..

Asset forfeiture is a scam in too many cases. Read about all the people who did nothing wrong and had cash seized.

It's a fine idea. Just figure out how to implement it.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:58 AM

622 posts, read 526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Is the device smart enough to detect that a passenger blew it for him/her, or that some kind of air pump was used?
That I can't answer I'm afraid. But having somebody else blow into it would be fraudulent. You'd be risking your licence if you did something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive