Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:51 AM

958 posts, read 2,133,930 times

Advertisements

I live in the Panhandle and drive at night on I 27 between Amarillo and Lubbock. I 27 is a great stretch of highway day or night but I just don't understand why most drivers will not dim their headlights to on coming traffic on a four lane highway. This include truckers as well as four wheel vehicles.
Some lights are misaligned and even dimmed they can be very bright to oncoming drivers, on high beam they're painfully bright.
So I ask...
IS there a good reason not to dim your lights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:58 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Brights should only be used when no other cars are around so why are people driving with their brights on when they're on a highway with other cars?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,504,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Brights should only be used when no other cars are around so why are people driving with their brights on when they're on a highway with other cars?
Probably because they were never taught the rules of the road. I see this and other driving etiquitte ignored all the time...such as getting out of the left lane when another car comes up...they just don't know any better.
They don't teach these things in drivers ed anymore.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 AM

227 posts, read 385,978 times
Some lights are brighter than others. After I bought one car (it was new and the lights were perfectly in alignment), I had a few situations where other drivers flashed their lights to indicate that my lights were not dimmed when in fact they were. I figured out that the lights were just new and very bright even when dimmed.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:45 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,798,292 times
Your headlights must be on low beam when you are within 500 feet (150 m) of an oncoming vehicle or within 200 feet (60 m) of a vehicle ahead of you, even if the vehicle ahead is in a different lane.

The misalignment issue that you brought up has to do with many of the people of Texas complaining that they were charged to align their lights and in some case this was done several years in a row !!!

I've done state inspections for 35 plus years and we did charge a whopping .75 cents per light to adjust them and they needed it !!!

Now that its not part of the inspection, you'll see thousands of vehicles on the roads where their lights are going all over the place except in front !!!

Remember this important rule that's in many states: Any fog, driving lights or headlamps your vehicle has must be arranged, adjusted or operated to avoid dangerous glare to other drivers !!!

Plus you can and I've seen where people are ticketed for not dimming their lights, they didn't need to because they were misaligned !!!

Old 03-09-2015, 10:19 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,785,388 times
My pet peeves are

1) trucks who have on both their bright headlights, which are already blinding at eye-level, along with their fog lights. It's incredibly rude to use your fog lights when there is no fog! My guess would be that some vehicles are unable to turn off their fog lights, but for those who leave them on...please turn them off!

2) Jeeps, which already have bright headlights, that feel the need to turn on the extra lights mounted in front of their grill.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
Some lights are brighter than others. After I bought one car (it was new and the lights were perfectly in alignment), I had a few situations where other drivers flashed their lights to indicate that my lights were not dimmed when in fact they were. I figured out that the lights were just new and very bright even when dimmed.
My husband recently bought a Ford pickup and it has the brightest "dim" lights I've ever seen, with a huge range as well. I feel sorry for other drivers coming toward us sometimes, and we often get "flashed" but there's nothing we can do about it.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:36 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband recently bought a Ford pickup and it has the brightest "dim" lights I've ever seen, with a huge range as well. I feel sorry for other drivers coming toward us sometimes, and we often get "flashed" but there's nothing we can do about it.
I can understand that because it's how some lights are manufactured, I'm not wild about them but it is what it is. No harm no foul on the driver. The willful act of keeping them on high does get under my skin though.
Last night I just couldn't win. I got off I 27 and drove on highway 87 between the city of Canyon and the town of Happy (yep, Happy Texas) anyway an oncoming semi had on his brights so flashed my brights, he dimmed his but the oncoming train turned on his bright light and kept them on.
Some days a person just can't win!

Old 03-11-2015, 11:44 AM

804 posts, read 1,076,579 times
I think its funny the people who complain about "blue headlights" and they aren't even hids just cheap walmart knock offs.And most of the time it has nothing to do with halogen,hid,led; they are aimed improperly. Yes the people with hids in reflector and not projector housing are blinding no matter what.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
I have to say some of the new lights seem to scatter more light over some of the better more expensive normal lights with specially reflectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive