Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:46 PM

419 posts, read 846,363 times

Advertisements

Many new economy vehicles come with an engine immobilizer. I am wondering if anything beyond an engine immobilizer is a waste: A thief who can defeat the immobilizer wouldn't be stopped by much else. If the thief wants an economy vehicle that badly, then it's going to be stolen or vandalized in a determined attempt (lots of wires cut, etc).

If buying a brand new small vehicle that will be parked unattended in an open public location during work day, would you install any further security systems? Or just remove the fancy stereo & extra electronics. And pay extra for a low deductible on comprehensive insurance to cover a vehicle's theft?

Last edited by MerriMAC; 04-02-2015 at 11:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 04:47 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,206,150 times
If they want it they are going to get it.

Simple things things like keeping the interior clutter free and tinting go a long way.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:00 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
It's a good deterrent to prevent an easy random joy ride. However, any determined thief is not going to be stopped by it or most anything else. They will know what they are doing and be equipped to quickly defeat any countermeasures.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:43 AM

302 posts, read 1,155,761 times
If a thief is determined enough, they'll either possess the skillset necessary to take it, despite security measures, or (hopefully never) you'll find yourself on the wrong side of a gun barrel.

Best you can do is make it less of a target than other vehicles. As mentioned, keep electronics, bags, briefcases, personal items, garage door transmitter, and accessories out of the vehicles. Park in a visible area. Make it a less attractive target than the next vehicle. Keep it locked.

Anything else you can do to make it more difficult to take only goes in your favor for a thief bypassing it for an easier target. I use a steering wheel club without fail and I've rewired my ignition and fuel sytems with self designed circuits that although, not foolproof, would almost certainly cause enough frustration for a thief to abandon the attempt. I'd suppose it's better to come out to a broken door lock and damaged wiring than an empty parking spot at the end of the day.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:45 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,789,000 times
https://parts.olathetoyota.com/engine-immobilizers.html

Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
You can add your own fuel or ignition kill on s factory switch that is optional but thief won't know. I had a momentary switch that was wired to my ashtray. The ashtray had to be pushed in and the drink holder had to be pulled out in order for the car to start. I've had various kill switches on all my cars. There is no way you would find them because I ran them inside the factory wiring harnesses and used factory colored wires and connectors.
It wnt stop somene from towing your car away.

These days I install alarm systems with tracking modules. And kill switches.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:04 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You can add your own fuel or ignition kill on s factory switch that is optional but thief won't know. I had a momentary switch that was wired to my ashtray. The ashtray had to be pushed in and the drink holder had to be pulled out in order for the car to start. I've had various kill switches on all my cars. There is no way you would find them because I ran them inside the factory wiring harnesses and used factory colored wires and connectors.
It wnt stop somene from towing your car away.

These days I install alarm systems with tracking modules. And kill switches.
Ever see that movie gone in 60 seconds, if a professional auto thief wants your car he will get your car. I dont care how many tracking devices and kill switches you have.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:28 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,640,215 times
The odds of having your vehicle stolen are extremely small. Don't keep anything of value visible and lock it and don't worry.
Last year in LA Calif, (the car thief capitol of the US) 25,000 vehicles were stolen. That's 200 a month. I don't know how many vehicles there are in LA, but I'm betting there are millions, so the odds are vastly in you favor of never having your vehicle stolen.
Be careful but don't be paranoid...

Old 04-03-2015, 09:37 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
If they know how an engine immobilizer works and can defeat it, then they would have a job and not need to be thieves!

Crooks in general are not very bright. The following is what your typical criminal is like in the knowledge department...

America's Dumbest Criminals - Home

Old 04-03-2015, 10:03 AM

308 posts, read 498,973 times
If they want it bad enough they will take it. Of course common sense, hide all valuables. Don't leave purse, laptops on front seat...easy smash and grabs. Theives go for easy targets.

A security system does help deter a theft. But does not stop it 100%. Perfect example...When my brother and I lived in apartment. We had our cars parked right next to each other. I had an alarm, he did not. I also had a fancy stereo, he did not. They stole his car and did not touch mine. Again, they went for easy target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive