Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 11:29 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times

Advertisements

I generally go to places like Jiffy Lube to get my oil changed. My 2004 Elantra has almost 80,000 and I'm starting a new job that will radically increase my driving. I'll probably be driving 350 -400 miles a week. Last time I went in to Jiffy Lube, they recommended the high mileage oil. Is that just their way of getting more cash out of me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 11:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Yes. As long as you change the oil at the recommended/required intervals and the oil is rated for use on your vehicle regular oil is fine. I routinely get 200,000 miles out of engines with nothing more than 5k regular non synthetic oil and filter change. just keep up on oil changed. I have never in my life had a oil related faliure/problem.
Bad stuff happens when you don't change the oil.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:25 PM

384 posts, read 733,924 times
I send my motor oil to blackstone lab to test my oil. Asked about this. They said they see little difference between high mileage oil and conventional.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
If the price is the same and the lubricating quality is comparable, it would not be a ripoff. The ripoff is when Jiffy Lube tells you to change every 3K miles, which is about double the frequency specified in you car's owners manual.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:59 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
The biggest mistake of all is allowing Jerky Lube to do anything with your car. Nationwide, several cars are badly damaged weekly at J-Lube locations as a result of (pick one or more):
  • Draining the transmission, instead of the crankcase, thereby resulting in a dry transmission and an engine with twice as much oil as it should hold
  • Failing to properly torque the oil drain plug and/or failing to use a new crush washer on the drain plug when replacing it
  • Double-gasketing the oil filter
  • Using the wrong type of transmission fluid
  • Adding coolant or WW fluid to the brake master cylinder or the PS reservoir
If you value your car, you should take it to a well-reputed independent mechanic's shop, rather than to a chain operation of any kind. The other places to avoid include Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, Pep Boys, AAMCO, and chain-run tire shops.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:00 PM

505 posts, read 846,924 times
I've seen HM oil work wonders in cars that were leaking/burning oil. It contains additives and seal conditioners that can help reduce oil consumption. But unless your car is using oil, there's no need to use it.

Also, totally agree with the comment above about Jiffy Lube and these other chain stores. Find an indy or better yet, change the oil yourself. Then you're free to experiment with whatever oil/filter you want and you know the job's been done right.

Make sure the timing belt's been done on your Elantra.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:33 PM

922 posts, read 1,148,350 times
I use Mobil 1 synthetic with 10k-15k mile intervals and never had a problem.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:16 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
I've seen HM oil work wonders in cars that were leaking/burning oil. It contains additives and seal conditioners that can help reduce oil consumption. But unless your car is using oil, there's no need to use it.

Also, totally agree with the comment above about Jiffy Lube and these other chain stores. Find an indy or better yet, change the oil yourself. Then you're free to experiment with whatever oil/filter you want and you know the job's been done right.

Make sure the timing belt's been done on your Elantra.
I do this as I have had to chase what the idiots at the monkey shops f up.

How many people know how to change their car's oil?

Old 04-04-2015, 07:11 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
I have used Castrol High Mileage Oil in my 1993 Nissan pickup since it logged 120,000 miles MANY years ago. It still has no leaks, and uses no oil. Castrol High Mileage is a synthetic/conventional oil blend. Before it hit 120,000 miles I used regular Castrol GTX. I change my own oil, and the price difference between the high mileage, and conventional is negligible.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:19 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If the price is the same and the lubricating quality is comparable, it would not be a ripoff. The ripoff is when Jiffy Lube tells you to change every 3K miles, which is about double the frequency specified in you car's owners manual.
My Honda tells me when I need an oil change - even counts down the percentage of oil life left. The number of miles between changes seems to vary; high revving seems to kill the oil life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive