Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 07:35 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times

Advertisements

Sometimes my wife will take her lunch break in her car in the parking lot or down the street at the dog park . She just wants to get away from those idiots that work for her .
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Guess people have weird ways of spending their time
Yup. Not your business.

By the way, it is illegal in Licking, Missouri (and probably some other places, Licking couldn't have made this up themselves.) My wife and I arranged to meet another group of people in Licking one Sunday, for an outing together. We sere waiting in our car for them to arrive, and a cop came and told us that it was illegal on a public street to sit in a parked car. He told us to pull into the supermarket parking lot, which was private property and beyond the scope of the ordinance.

You don't have to shop very many times with my wife, my mother or my sister, to learn to appreciate the several hours of peace and quiet alternative sitting in your car.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:59 AM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
I see a lot of people doing this. Some of them are on their phones. This is great; makes for safer roads with less distracted drivers. Most, though, just sit there with their cars idling doing nothing except staring at others in the parking lot. Sure, some of them may be waiting for someone inside a store but a lot of times, if I come out after an extended period of shopping, they're still there. Guess people have weird ways of spending their time
I do this sometimes. If I get out of work early on my nail appointment day, I'll sit in the parking lot until it's time for my appointment. I play solitaire on my ipad or read or something. When I was working as a home care therapist, I'd eat lunch in my car between clients, often in a shopping center parking lot. I don't usually have the car running the whole time though.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:49 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,575 times
I could care less what those folks are doing, BUT: most people who do this for whatever reason have their cars idling the whole time. That's sad, selfish and self-centered, but not surprising in most people nowadays. Doesn't anyone care about the fuel wastage? Do you really think that cars don't cause air pollution anymore? Less than they used to, but they're still a major source of air pollution. And what about wastage of a valuable resource (oil) and the politics and death of getting the oil, does no one care about that? Obviously not.
If you can sit in your car without running it, great. If you can't stand the heat (or cold), then shut it off, get out and go inside. It's that simple. We're the victims of the improved technology of auto engine cooling: I miss the days when most cars would boil over if left running, especially when they had their a/c on. Another case where technology hasn't really helped us, or rather, has enabled waste even if that wasn't its intent.
PS, In some municipalities it is illegal to leave a car idling; difficult to enforce but a worthwhile law nonetheless.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:04 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,576 times
I just remembered one time when I had pulled off into a bank parking lot to get on an hour long conference call while traveling for work (that job did not allow us to talk and drive). Eventually the manager of the bank came out and asked why I was sitting there, the employees were getting nervous, and would I please leave if I'm not a customer.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:21 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
They're most likely waiting for the spouse to finish shopping. Not everyone shops as fast as the OP.
They're usually males because some women can really eat up the clock while shopping while their significant others really hate being dragged through the process.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:26 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
I see a lot of people doing this. Some of them are on their phones. This is great; makes for safer roads with less distracted drivers. Most, though, just sit there with their cars idling doing nothing except staring at others in the parking lot. Sure, some of them may be waiting for someone inside a store but a lot of times, if I come out after an extended period of shopping, they're still there. Guess people have weird ways of spending their time

NSA, CIA Joint operation. Watching you....

Old 04-05-2015, 09:26 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
In the case of someone in a store parking lot like Wal-Mart, most are waiting for someone. Some are employees on a lunch break. But there are those who are thieves looking for their next target. From a Wal-Mart parking lot they can steal food, booze, electronics, or even a vehicle. There have also been a rash of purse thieves. Some people are very stupid. This being hot & humid south Louisiana, I've seen some women roll their shopping cart to their car, turn on the car for the AC to start working, load the groceries in the trunk, push empty cart away from car, and then walk back to the unlocked running car with keys in the ignition. Easy for a thief to stealing only the car, but everything she bought as well. Oh, and yes, there are also drug dealers in the parking lot of Wal-Mart. A man sitting in a car at Wal-Mart doesn't know that many people who come up to the window for a few seconds the walks away shoving something in his or her pockets.
That happened to me....bringing my cart to my car at Walmart and all of a sudden 4 police cars swarmed around...the car parked nose to mine was selling dope....just like the movies...

Old 04-05-2015, 02:37 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
I've done this a lot. Just waiting on someone to finish shopping or maybe I'm waiting on someone to get there. I've even done it just killing time. Someone's on their way home from work or something and I don't want to just park in their driveway or something, usually because it's the first time going to their house or apartment.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:44 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
I could care less what those folks are doing, BUT: most people who do this for whatever reason have their cars idling the whole time. That's sad, selfish and self-centered, but not surprising in most people nowadays. Doesn't anyone care about the fuel wastage? Do you really think that cars don't cause air pollution anymore? Less than they used to, but they're still a major source of air pollution. And what about wastage of a valuable resource (oil) and the politics and death of getting the oil, does no one care about that? Obviously not.
If you can sit in your car without running it, great. If you can't stand the heat (or cold), then shut it off, get out and go inside. It's that simple. We're the victims of the improved technology of auto engine cooling: I miss the days when most cars would boil over if left running, especially when they had their a/c on. Another case where technology hasn't really helped us, or rather, has enabled waste even if that wasn't its intent.
PS, In some municipalities it is illegal to leave a car idling; difficult to enforce but a worthwhile law nonetheless.
Good grief. Do you unplug all your standby and auxiliary stuff when you aren't using it even for 5 minutes? Do you shut the heat or A/C vents in your house when you leave a room, even for 5 minutes? No? By your logic, that makes you selfish and inconsiderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive