Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:58 PM

155 posts, read 205,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Valid = up-to-date, non-expired.
In my state, late fees and penalties accumulate and becomes due when the person goes to register the car.
Well the car does not have late fees, it is paid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:59 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post
Well the car does not have late fees, it is paid off.
Late registration fees.
The point is, as a buyer, I don't know that for sure.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:02 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
OP until that vehicle is re-registered into another party's name you are responsible and liable for any occurrence that happens whether you're driving or another party is. If an accident with injuries should occur, you can be sued for being irresponsible for letting someone else drive an un-insured and registered car. I hope you have a big bankroll, without liability insurance you can lose everything you have.
It's so easy to get limited insurance and a temporary permit to drive the vehicle.

BTW a video doesn't tell me if it's mechanical condition is solid or not. I can't ethe vibrations or squeals or how bad the brakes, ball bearings, transmission shifting are, etc etc.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:24 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
It is a 2001 toyota camry. I was going to ask 1.6k for it. The question is how can I allow a test drive? The car is literally just sitting there.
Go to the DMV and get a temporary tag, for like 30 days or something (explain what you need and they should be able to help you).

Then call your insurance and ask them if they could insure it for people to test drive it while you're selling it.

It's not rocket science!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:50 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
If it was mine, I'd insure and license it to get it sold. You should get most of the insurance back, and here in Wyoming you'd get most of the license plate cost back too.

If I was buying a used car, I wouldn't be interested in it if I couldn't test drive it first. I'd think most buyers would (and should) feel the same way.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:57 PM

477 posts, read 509,406 times
Quote:
But do you think a video is good enough to allow them to see that it works and everything? I will give them the vin number of the car on the ad.
No.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Valid = up-to-date, non-expired.
In my state, late fees and penalties accumulate and becomes due when the person goes to register the car.
Only from the date shown on the title sign-off. When the previous owner signs off on the title, he writes in the date. The new owner has X days after that date to transfer the title without penalty..

Old 04-07-2015, 10:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
As for tags... sell it to a Dealer with Dealer tags or go to the DMV and buy a one day moving permit.

If a Dealer is doing the test drive the Dealer Insurance will extend as long as YOU and not driving.

Had a similar quandary when I was selling my old Mustang... called my family agent and he wrote a policy for and then canceled it the same day... we do a lot of business with him and he was glad to help.

As for driving... the area was a private road.

Murphy's law that bad things happen at the worst possible time...

Old 04-08-2015, 10:28 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Only from the date shown on the title sign-off. When the previous owner signs off on the title, he writes in the date. The new owner has X days after that date to transfer the title without penalty..

No, I mean the late registration penalties, back fees, (not sure if parking tickets are levied) etc.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:38 PM

155 posts, read 205,062 times
Wait so is it illegal if I take it with say a uhauler tow dolly to an empty spot and let them test drive it with no other cars? Will the police still give me a ticket if he saw no one else in that empty spot? I know some empty spots around my state like a empty parking lot in the day time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive