Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:05 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,866,675 times

Advertisements

It's not the wheels, or "just" the wheels. There are plenty of smooth riding cars with low profile tires these days. The suspension must have been purposely set up to ride tighter. Probably to give the impression of a "sporty" ride since so many still equate sporty with a firm suspension. (Although a truly modern, sporty suspension need not feel "firm" over bumps).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:39 AM

21,599 posts, read 24,739,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
It's not the wheels, or "just" the wheels. There are plenty of smooth riding cars with low profile tires these days. The suspension must have been purposely set up to ride tighter. Probably to give the impression of a "sporty" ride since so many still equate sporty with a firm suspension. (Although a truly modern, sporty suspension need not feel "firm" over bumps).
Truly modern is expensive, pretty far beyond Camry Budget. Delphi MagneRide is an $1,800 option on a Corvette, about a tenth of what a Camry costs. You can do a whole lot with old though. Simply having progressive spring rates is a start.

It also depends on what "sporty" means to you. Go take a ride in a GT3 RS and compare it with a 911 Turbo. There's a reason that the GT3 RS is far more firm than 911 Turbo. Porsche knows who buys its cars, and most of them aren't really looking for sporty. They're middle-aged (or older) bankers, lawyers, and doctors. They don't want to deal with the harsh ride and listen to the suspension clunking over every bump. They want something that's comfortable. And so you have the compromise of sportiness for creature comforts. MagneRide is fantastic, largely because it lets you firm up the suspension when you want the car to be sporty and not have to live with it when you don't.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,077,669 times
Soft suspensions might seem nice on the highway, but you feel like the car is going to flip if you take a corner fast. I rented a 2013 Impala LT and I felt like I was going to get sick with all the leaning and wallowing and when I bought a 2012 LTZ with a stiffer suspension, it was night and day difference.

I test drove a 2015 Camry XSE V6 at the auto show and loved it, but I had a G6 GXP before so im used to stiff suspensions. The worse ride Ive sat in all year was a 2015 Dodge Dart GT with a sports suspension, it felt like everything was loose in the car.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:16 AM

13,715 posts, read 30,993,781 times
I have an immense dislike of soft riding vehicles. I don't like body lean, and a car that rises and falls several cycles on a bump. I have a hard time imagining a Camry with a rough ride. Every Camry I have been in is a mush mobile.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:35 AM

865 posts, read 2,144,512 times
I have a live axle Jeep with leaf springs in the rear on load range E truck tires.

Everything rides smooth compared. I don't mind at all.

With that said, the old boats that just float down the highway are nice.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:40 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,205,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have an immense dislike of soft riding vehicles. I don't like body lean, and a car that rises and falls several cycles on a bump.
Same here. I get slight motion sickness.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:04 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,592,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I guess it is all what we acquire a taste for, but definitely not for me!

I went and rented a car for a trip tomorrow and they gave me a 2014.5 Camry SE sedan. What a terrible riding car! I had heard that the SE Camry had a sporty suspension, but this car is ridiculous. I do not see how anyone that owns one can drive it on a day to day basis and what is even more amazing is that they sell so many Camry SE models. The lady there usually gives me a nice comfy car, but she wasn't there tonight. I am definitely complaining when I take it back. I reserved a full size car and didnt know this is what I had until I had walked a mile to get to the car (rented at airport rental). Why in the world would a rental car company get sporty "SE" model sedans for people driving on the freeway? I guess they had a big sale or something. They had a 2015 LE setting there... looking back I wish I had of asked to switch cars. Oh well, too late now. Had it been the LE, I am sure it would have been a comfy car.

Basically what I am saying... if you want a comfortable car, do not get a Camry SE!
My 'daily driver' is a 2007 Toyota Solara - the convertible version of the Camry... I LOVE MY CAR!
She loves turns - but only if they're fast... I've not been behind the wheel of a hybrid '14, but your post is making me aware, I don't want to be...

Old 04-08-2015, 05:28 PM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I guess it is all what we acquire a taste for, but definitely not for me!

I went and rented a car for a trip tomorrow and they gave me a 2014.5 Camry SE sedan. What a terrible riding car! I had heard that the SE Camry had a sporty suspension, but this car is ridiculous. I do not see how anyone that owns one can drive it on a day to day basis and what is even more amazing is that they sell so many Camry SE models. The lady there usually gives me a nice comfy car, but she wasn't there tonight. I am definitely complaining when I take it back. I reserved a full size car and didnt know this is what I had until I had walked a mile to get to the car (rented at airport rental). Why in the world would a rental car company get sporty "SE" model sedans for people driving on the freeway? I guess they had a big sale or something. They had a 2015 LE setting there... looking back I wish I had of asked to switch cars. Oh well, too late now. Had it been the LE, I am sure it would have been a comfy car.

Basically what I am saying... if you want a comfortable car, do not get a Camry SE!
I know what you're talking about.

A few years ago, my brother drove me across a parking lot at a mall back to where my car was parked in his wife's Camry. I could actually "feel" the ground in the Camry... roughness. Got in my car, drove through the same parking lot, and it was completely different. In my car, you would have thought the parking lot was made out of soft rubber or something and not cement!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:06 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,090,528 times
Thanks for all of the interesting replies. I will add more to my experience with the 2014.5 Camry SE after driving it from 7:00 this morning until 7:30 this evening... about 450 miles. Rough, rough, rough. My mom was very displeased saying I should have declined the car, lol.

I will admit I am used to large "boats" and I am currently driving a 1991 Cadillac DeVille with ultra soft suspension that leans and bounces/bounces, wallows, etc. I will say though that this Camry SE didn't seem to be no easier to handle in turns in that car and here is why. My Cadillac is a low mileage car and the steering is still as tight as new, with no "slack" or "slop" in the wheel. My Cadillac responds to the wheel faster than the Camry did. I mean like if on the straight highway at 55, you can rock the wheel a little from side to side, the Cadillac was instant to move, but on this Camry when I tried it, it didn't seem to respond as quick.

At any rate (that is beside the point) the car had a very stiff and jittery ride. The ride was fair on the SMOOTH parts of the freeways, but it was "busy" even then. In town on rough roads/bumps, the car would jolt harshly over rough bumps and the car would bang over them... the interior hard plastics would "tick/pop" and "creak" over bumps and expansion joints. I know it is a rental with 25K and probably seen some rough duty over the past few months however. The seats were ok as far as comfort. Most of the harshness was from the suspension, I am sure. Even the sales book advertises the SE as having a more firm suspension. The car also had a lot of road noise. I have driven a Camry LE, same year and it was a very smooth car and quiet. I guess the SE model is just designed quite a bit different.

When I took the car back I told the guy at the return desk that the car was a little uncomfortable and he said I was not the first to say that about the Camry SE models they have rented out. He said one guy returned it and was very upset saying he never wanted another. lol.

Funny thing is when I took the car back, there were three cars there available for rent that I have actually been considering to buy for myself. I wish I had of got one of those cars... that would have been a nice test drive! I know for sure I will never own a Camry "SE" Maybe an "LE" or "XLE", but never an LE. Other than that, the car got excellent fuel economy. It averaged 35 mpg on our drive down and back, 95% was freeway driving. Braking was great as well and it was pretty peppy. I see a lot of "SE" Camrys out there... I actually passed two just like it, both had older women driving which I thought was odd, but maybe not.

*Another gripe is the outside temperature display. It seems to stay "stuck" on a certain temperature for long periods. I live in an area where elevations changes quite a bit, thus the temperature can change quickly as well as you hit hill tops, valleys, downtowns, etc. My 1991 Cadillac, the outside temperature display changes very quickly, if I go in a valley or up our hill, the temperature will change as expected, but on the Camry, it stays pretty stable. I am not sure if this is a new style or how they are set up now, but like the one on my old Caddy better, as it seems more accurate. BTW, it was 88° today in downtown Knoxville TN.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 04-08-2015 at 08:18 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 09:13 PM

978 posts, read 2,039,637 times
Camry and sporty should never be in the same sentence together. Not sure why Toyota is trying to make their cars something they've never been known for... sportiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive