Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 12:04 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The LaCrosse rides like crap on 20's. No MRC is available. I'd never check that box.

The Buick that had MRC was the Lucerne Super. Totally transformed it.
I believe it's the cheapest car to ever get Magnetic Ride Control.
You're right. It's Hiper Strut with optional adaptive dampers. I still think it road a lot better with them than without, but also makes sense. It was not a FWD CTS. That was the older model too, might have been on the 19" wheels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 12:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You're right. It's Hiper Strut with optional adaptive dampers. I still think it road a lot better with them than without, but also makes sense. It was not a FWD CTS. That was the older model too, might have been on the 19" wheels.
Hiper Strut is supposed to eliminate torque steer completely.
MRC is another animal entirely.

The Lucerne Super was an oddly intriguing car.
It's a hell of a Q-Ship with the Northstar (head bolts were fixed by then) and MRC. Northstars are actually damn good engines when they're not leaking.
It was kind of shocking how toss-able an MRC equipped Lucerne was. I pushed it pretty hard and it handled it all without complaint.

It's something that really shouldn't exist, yet it does.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:16 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Sort of the same thing. MagneRide is just adaptive dampers. Broadly speaking you have two categories, semi-active and passive. Passive adaptive is just your comfort, sport, sport plus, race modes. MagneRide, BMW DDC, Porsche PASM, and CDC (in the Lacrosse) are all semi-active systems designed to do the same thing, adapt the suspension in real-time. Hiper Strut is obviously different.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:40 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
The other extreme of the rough ride is that wallowy cloud ride where the car feels like it will flip over if you take a corner too fast.

Id do a Camry LE for a long for road trip on the expressway, but not part of my everyday driving. I rented a Impala LT in 2013 and felt like I was going to get motion sickness from all the rolling, so got into a LTZ and the rougher ride felt like heaven.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:35 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
These strings are interesting to read. Fit and ride quality is such a personal thing. One person's uncomfortable seats are someone else's highly comfortable , drive all day seats. Another's rough ride is someone's dream ride. Try lots of cars and pick the one YOU feel comfortable in.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:16 AM

169 posts, read 160,528 times
The accord has the worst seats ever, very uncomfortable

Old 02-05-2019, 09:20 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I have the LE very different
A good smooth ride -thanks for the tip about se
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive