Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:57 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,216,536 times

Advertisements

I guess it is all what we acquire a taste for, but definitely not for me!

I went and rented a car for a trip tomorrow and they gave me a 2014.5 Camry SE sedan. What a terrible riding car! I had heard that the SE Camry had a sporty suspension, but this car is ridiculous. I do not see how anyone that owns one can drive it on a day to day basis and what is even more amazing is that they sell so many Camry SE models. The lady there usually gives me a nice comfy car, but she wasn't there tonight. I am definitely complaining when I take it back. I reserved a full size car and didnt know this is what I had until I had walked a mile to get to the car (rented at airport rental). Why in the world would a rental car company get sporty "SE" model sedans for people driving on the freeway? I guess they had a big sale or something. They had a 2015 LE setting there... looking back I wish I had of asked to switch cars. Oh well, too late now. Had it been the LE, I am sure it would have been a comfy car.

Basically what I am saying... if you want a comfortable car, do not get a Camry SE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 07:04 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,896 times
Yeah, I hate cars with rough suspensions. Often it has to do with tires, runflats are like a bed of nails. Also nowadays big rims and rubber-band skinny tires are in which sucks.

So many cars have ruined themselves trying to become "Sporty". Seriously, no one is going around the Burgerkingring in a Camry.

Thankfully, crossovers, SUVs, and trucks still tend to ride on the cushy side.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:08 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,216,536 times
I agree.

Yes, this Camry SE is horrid. You can feel every bump in the road. It is more harsh than my 2012 Civic sedan was.

I have to rent again in May and June and I am going to be sure to tell them NO Camry SE or any sport version of any car. I know my mom and aunt will complain the entire time tomorrow. It is a 6 hour drive on the freeway.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:11 PM

922 posts, read 1,148,516 times
I think the Softex seating in the Camry SE is pretty comfy. I get to drive it often since a relative bought one. I like the stiffer suspension too because the LE with its softer suspension was all over the road.

The reason he bought the SE was because it was only like $200 more than the LE which was a bargain considering all the extra options you get in the SE (17" alloy tires; leatherette seating; paddle shifters; fog lights; rear spoiler; steel muffler tip and many more.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I guess it is all what we acquire a taste for, but definitely not for me!

I went and rented a car for a trip tomorrow and they gave me a 2014.5 Camry SE sedan. What a terrible riding car! I had heard that the SE Camry had a sporty suspension, but this car is ridiculous. I do not see how anyone that owns one can drive it on a day to day basis and what is even more amazing is that they sell so many Camry SE models. The lady there usually gives me a nice comfy car, but she wasn't there tonight. I am definitely complaining when I take it back. I reserved a full size car and didnt know this is what I had until I had walked a mile to get to the car (rented at airport rental). Why in the world would a rental car company get sporty "SE" model sedans for people driving on the freeway? I guess they had a big sale or something. They had a 2015 LE setting there... looking back I wish I had of asked to switch cars. Oh well, too late now. Had it been the LE, I am sure it would have been a comfy car.

Basically what I am saying... if you want a comfortable car, do not get a Camry SE!

You ought to drive my F250 4x4. You'll love it. 1800s leaf spring suspension diesel and a manual. 1/2 hr in that thing on a rough road you'll beg to get back in that Camry. It's surprisingly smooth on a freeway if it's not all screwed up by tractor trailers

Old 04-07-2015, 07:54 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
My mother had a 2012 Camry SE and she never complained about a rough ride. She traded that car for a 2015 Camry XSE.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:58 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,702 times
Foreign economy cars have always been like this..

Old 04-07-2015, 08:01 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
You want smooth ride, you want wheelbase. I rented a Charger a while back and I was amazed how smooth the ride was. It wasn’t just the ride either, so was the engine. Whisper quiet. We have a new Rav4 and a new Highlander in the family. The Rav4 is one rough riding car. The engine sounds and feels like a 4. The Highlander is much better. Again, it is the wheelbase and the V6.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:14 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
The only Camrys I've driven have been the opposite of sporty, not sure how much of a difference the SE is. I know they stiffen up the suspension a bit but I can't see it being significant. On the other hand, if you're coming from some old Buick car that sags by about a foot if a 95 pound woman sits in the drivers seat and bounces for half a mile after going over a bump on the freeway because it's some underdamped, then maybe it is sporty.

I drove an old American station wagon (I think it was an '80s Mercury Marquis, honestly I can't remember as I blocked it out). I couldn't figure out how to get it to around a corner. It just rolled horribly and didn't really do much other than that. Finally I figured it out. The way you got that car to turn was you bottomed out the suspension. Once you did that, the car would start to turn. That was extremely disconcerting to me since I'd never driving a car with a tenth as much body roll as that piece of crap. It was also pretty disconcerting when you hit a bump since there wasn't any suspension travel left. Definitely not a car that inspired any confidence in the driving department.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I think it's the 18" wheels. Nearly all midsize cars with bigger wheels will likely have a stiffer ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive