Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:25 PM

651 posts, read 1,562,342 times

Advertisements

[MOD CUT/copyright]

I found this

Land Rover Range Rover | eBay

and

New 2015 Land Rover Range Rover 3.0L V6 Supercharged For Sale in Paramus NJ | | Glen Cove, Parsippany & Newark

but when i called, they said they dont have none under $94,000 (almost $10,000 more than ad).
The website also states.

"Prestige Land Rover Paramus will put a lien on NEW and PreOwned vehicles for a 10 month period to prevent vehicles from being exported outside of the United States. The lien will be satisfied after ten months of ownership or if the vehicle is traded back to Prestige Land Rover Paramus prior to the ten month waiting period. Only the original selling dealer can satisfy the lien release for the vehicle."

I live in the US. I dont want to export it, but i do want to be able to get my title before 10months, i was paying cash.
is this normal? is this a scam?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-08-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 07:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Yes it's called bait and switch. They cannot advertize it if they don't have it. If they had it and it was sold the ad should be indicated as sold.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:06 PM

477 posts, read 509,190 times
Local dealership did this to me the other day. Car in inventory online (same model, slightly older) listed at $6k. This car is (and I quote) "Lost - nobody knows where it is."

Car actually on lot, listed at 11K. Although the manager told me it was listed at $12k after I said I hadn't checked the price of that one online, and he pretended to check it on his phone.

Yah. Not going back there.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:14 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times
The laws vary by state.

In some states the advertisement must state a stock number for that one low ball price.

And there is or was a stock number vehicle at that price.

But, of course it was sold. And it may have been.

A neighbor of mine, who did seek these low ball prices in newspaper advertisement would telephone the dealer first. And if still in stock, place a credit card deposit on it. Not guaranteed to work on all dealerships but it did work for him on the last 3 new pickup trucks he purchased.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:25 PM

477 posts, read 509,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
A neighbor of mine, who did seek these low ball prices in newspaper advertisement would telephone the dealer first. And if still in stock, place a credit card deposit on it. Not guaranteed to work on all dealerships but it did work for him on the last 3 new pickup trucks he purchased.
WHOA! I am NOT putting a deposit on a vehicle I've never seen! Especially I'm not giving a dealership my credit card info!

But then I wouldn't buy a car off e-bay either. Still seems like an awful idea to give your credit card info to put a deposit on a car that you've not even seen.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:38 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
B&S.............been around as long as there has been salespeople!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-2015, 09:43 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,440,098 times
Bait and switch, buy from reputable local dealer instead of scam ebay seller.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:07 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,789,000 times
What I have done in the past when this has happened, I ask to see the paperwork on the selling of the vehicle that they posted, if they cannot or will not produce it, its a scam and I'll report this, in this case to ebay !!

New Jersey Car Dealer Advertising Scams FAQS

New Jersey Car Dealer Advertising Scams FAQS

Old 04-08-2015, 06:27 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,226,363 times
Bait and switch.... PITA!
Went thru this a few times myself.
Find a car, call to make an appointment on that particular car. Go to the dealership and they tell me it is no longer available.
Total waste of time...

Old 04-08-2015, 06:40 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,170,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Bait and switch.... PITA!
Went thru this a few times myself.
Find a car, call to make an appointment on that particular car. Go to the dealership and they tell me it is no longer available.
Total waste of time...
Same here.

In fact, I used to work 2nd shift, going in at 330pm. I had called about a used car in stock the night before from work, a 350Z convertible. They said it was available, I said I would stop in the next morning.

At about 9am, they call me back, asking if I was still interested and planning on coming in to check it out and that it was sitting right here waiting for me.

I get up, drive across San Antonio... Get to the dealer.. I sit and wait.. and wait.. and wait.

Turns out, they "sold" it the night before.. But they had a Chrysler Crossfire if I was interested.

I told them what they could go to themselves, left, and found another one for sale on the way home, and bought it that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive