Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:01 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times

Advertisements

My car has a transmission seal leak. The parts needed to fix it and replace the clutch will take up to 3 months to come in. The parts are on backorder and was told that these cars has been having these issues. I can't take it somewhere else since it will still be covered under warranty at the place where my car came from. The service attendant told me it was still fine to drive it although I'm skeptical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 06:07 AM

792 posts, read 2,872,635 times
How big is the leak?

Old 04-15-2015, 06:37 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
I had this problem once. Depending on how big the leak is, you can get away with it so long as its not a major leak and you stay on top of the fluid.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
How big is the leak?
not sure. i thought when there's a leak somewhere in the transmission, the car owner should avoid driving it until its fixed? I just hate to drive it only making the problem worse

Old 04-15-2015, 07:38 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
If the owner of the vehicle has the technical capability of checking the fluid level, and adding fluid as necessary, then it shouldn't be an issue. If they are not able to do this, then I would probably recommend they not drive the car as they run the risk of trans damage if the fluid level drops too far.

What sort of vehicle takes 3 months to get parts for?

Old 04-15-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If the owner of the vehicle has the technical capability of checking the fluid level, and adding fluid as necessary, then it shouldn't be an issue. If they are not able to do this, then I would probably recommend they not drive the car as they run the risk of trans damage if the fluid level drops too far.

What sort of vehicle takes 3 months to get parts for?
I'm the owner of the vehicle. I didn't get it either that it would take that long for the parts to come in. The mechanic said it was on backorder since other cars were having that issue. Its a Ford Focus to be exact. I have no idea how to check the fluid level or how to add to it.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Keep a quart of the approved fluid in the car. Typically, low fluid will cause it to be slow taking off first thing in the morning, hesitation after you give it gas. If that happens. top it up before driving. I would avoid going on any trips. Your owner's manual should tell you where and how to check and fill, however I'd bet there is a video or 10 on Youtube that will show it in detail.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:37 AM

196 posts, read 216,603 times
Depends how much has leaked, so definitely check your transmission fluid level.

Note that Ford Focus of recent years have been plagued by transmission issues, and Ford corporate hasn't been forthcoming with what exactly is causing the problem. Transmission seal leak might be the official story, but that may or may not be the issue here. You can read up on the issue (all of the cases are quite similar) online and judge whether your symptoms correspond.

Checking your transmission fluid level will let you know whether seal leak is happening, and whether its current level is alarming. It's not hard, like Hemlock above me described, there's bound to be a Youtube video showing the exact steps. If you're really adverse to it, you can always get it verified at any local garage.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:04 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I've got a truck that I don't drive often that has a pretty significant leak. It's been that way for 10 years and hasn't caused any problems, I just check the level each time I get gas and top it off as needed.

I would either learn to check it yourself or ask the shop that will be doing the work if they will check it for you if you bring it by every few days until the part comes in to fix it. I'm guessing they would be willing to accommodate that request.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:16 AM

792 posts, read 2,872,635 times
Old seals become like hard brittle plastic instead of rubber, so fluid seeps by. Ask the mechanic to save the old seal and you may find it interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive